Reaction score
Visit site

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You can always just wear a high visiblity vest to put over your exhisting jacket if you are really on a tight budget.

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't really know about the 4.0 series but I have a Kilimanjaro Air that has been my favorite jacket for years.

I would say money very well spent.

Marc

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure about the "high density 600 denier polyester".
That doesn't offer very good abrasion resistance.
It's not the same as 600 denier cordura.

The hard plastic CE level 1 armor really sucks, too.
It passes much of the force right into you.
Can I take a hammer to your forearm with the hard plastic armor on?
You probably wouldn't like that!

The Firstgear TPG line at least gives you d3o armor.
Maybe look at Olympia. They use cordura instead of the polyester/nylon blend and the armor looks ok, too.
I think they may be the leader in this category and price point......

Last edited:

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
If you want a cheap solution I got this stuff for Christmas. It is a black reflective sew on fabric. I put it on my jacket and will be putting it on my backpack I just bought. I'll try to remember to take pics when it gets dark tonight but they work really well according to my buddy that rode behind me the other day.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Flat-Black-Sew-Reflective-Fabric/dp/tags-on-product/B000NPPRBE"]Amazon.com: Flat Black Sew-On Reflective Fabric Tape Kit: Automotive[/ame]

amanlisman

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure about the "high density 600 denier polyester".
That doesn't offer very good abrasion resistance.
It's not the same as 600 denier cordura.

The hard plastic CE level 1 armor really sucks, too.

Thanks! Cordura then, not polyester. I'll keep that in mind. Rev'it (a Dutch brand) does a nice jacket but probably too pricey for me. But then again, you only live once...

Rev'it Cayenne Pro - webBikeWorld

At the moment, I've a pretty standard old-fashioned but not old brown leather jacket with all the usual elbow and shoulder protection, plus leather trousers. They do the job but I wonder about being seen. :cheer:

I also wear a fluorescent bib when driving outside of the summer months.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Kilimanjaro 3.0, love it, but it was basic black and when the Air Force base I work on decided you had to be hi-viz, I had to buy another jacket (the orange vest looked like a luminscent bra on me, I'm 6'5"). I bought the Kilimanjaro 4.0, in Hi Viz yellow; I'm sold on the coat.

However, like OMG WTF pointed out, you can get other FirstGear jackets with that reactive armor (too cool!) but they don't come in Tall sizes yet... :(

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! Cordura then, not polyester. I'll keep that in mind. Rev'it (a Dutch brand) does a nice jacket but probably too pricey for me. But then again, you only live once...

Rev'it Cayenne Pro - webBikeWorld

At the moment, I've a pretty standard old-fashioned but not old brown leather jacket with all the usual elbow and shoulder protection, plus leather trousers. They do the job but I wonder about being seen. :cheer:

I also wear a fluorescent bib when driving outside of the summer months.
i tried the revit gear but the fit is horrible.
i'm not a big guy at all and i found it too tight.
it wouldnt be comfy on a long ride.

i settled on motoport gear. i should post a review with pics. im just too freakin' busy right now.....

i have a hi viz icon vest. hi viz can fade for a lot of materials. it think it's the UV that kills it. i dunno. but you can use fabric guard 303 to protect your hi viz. if you have an inexpensive hi viz vest then it's not a big deal, just buy another.

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
Just picked up an Olympia MOAB jacket that is Hi-viz yellow with relfective piping and Black and gray accent panels. Went with black pants though.