HID Projector Color Temp

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
By the way, it is several times people have now used the OEM argument, can someone please specify WHICH OEMs only fit 4300k lights? (maybe it's an American thing?)

Nearly every Lexus, Mercedes, BMW with HIDs over here definitely aren't using 4300k.

Cheers,
Rick

In Europe, 90% of all OEM xenon fitted cars use 4300K, only some use 5000K, as their projector lenses give the light a slightly yellow tint, hence the need of a "bluer" light color... :)
Heck, everything higher than 4300-5000K isn't legal in Europe :eek:

Grtz,

Degake

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
By the way, it is several times people have now used the OEM argument, can someone please specify WHICH OEMs only fit 4300k lights? (maybe it's an American thing?)

Nearly every Lexus, Mercedes, BMW with HIDs over here definitely aren't using 4300k.

Cheers,
Rick

FYI: Lexus, MB, BMW, Acura, Infiniti all use 4300k in their cars in at least America, Europe & Japan. Can't speak for Australia as I have never been there.

VUU

VW gearhead
Reaction score
Visit site
FYI: Lexus, MB, BMW, Acura, Infiniti all use 4300k in their cars in at least America, Europe & Japan. Can't speak for Australia as I have never been there.

I know that Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Acura, Honda, Infinity, Nissan, VW, Audi and every other manufacturer uses 4300k bulbs, in fact most color ranges outside of that are created by using a film over the outside of the capsule thereby lowering the overall lumen output by the capsule. All of my installs have used 4300k since I usually use a tinting film over the headlight for looks (I know I know) and to protect against rock chips and sandblasting.

Some people do perceive the bluer colors better and yes 6000k is definitely in the blue spectrum and the difference can be spotted. If this is the case for you then more power to you the difference in output between 4300k and 6000k is less than ten percent. Unless you go for the "mad tite yo" color ranges you still get much more useable light than any halogen will be outputting.

As long as you are using a projector and staying below 7000K you will be getting more light, more noticeable light and lower power consumption/heat output. Please, for the love of god do not put hid capsules in reflectors, and aim the lights correctly. The extra light output combined with the relatively small capsule compared to a halogen filament which is incorrectly placed for optimum reflection creates a "dazzle" effect which not only disperses your light inefficiently but blinds oncoming motorists.

As long as you have a well aimed projector or reflector assembly designed for the hid bulbs you will experience brighter, purer light and much increased visibility and safety.:rockon:

subaron

Reaction score
Visit site
At 35w watt bulb...the 6000k is pretty unusable to see objects far away. It lights up road signs great though.

Can I use a ds2 type 55w hid bulb in my current housing with of course a 55w watt ballast?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I disagree. I fit 6000k in all of my installations.

Halogen is 4300k - why get HID if you're going to reduce it to the capabilities of halogen?

6000k has a tinge of blue, more like daylight. (5000k is pure white)

Cheers,
Rick

Just had to point out that halogen is absolutely NOT 4300K color temp. Standard 55W halogen automotive lamps output around 2700 - 3500K color temp which is much more yellow than 4300K standard HID lamps.

Also there is the amount of visible light emitted by a source (lumens), which has NOTHING to do with the color temp.

Halogen 55W output only about 1500 lumens

HID 35W output around 3500 lumens

What is lumen? Lumen (unit) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia