HID dual low beam failure!!!

juggler

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

I'm searching for help because I have difficulties with wiring of headlights. Yamaha FZ6-S 2005, used in Finland. I received a few month ago complete headlights from USA (bkmoto.com). Actually i quetioned seller because of my problem, but the seller would not be able to answer without seeing pictures of wiring. H1 mini projectors, dual low/high beams, angel eyes. Angel eyes are working perfectly when i start engine, but no low beam still. When i turn switch dual high beam goes on, when i switch back to dual low beam mode, nothing happends, only angel eyes are on. I double checked all wires, probably I missed something, but no, all wires are connected. One + wire with fuse goes straight to the battery. Two (-) ground wires connected under the fuel tank to the frame. I forgot to mention that i also have switch which turnes off low beam if i would like to ride only angel eyes are on; so if this switch is on, no low or high beam available, so the switch is working fine. The problem is why there no low beams at all?? Balasts are good, relayes working fine. Any ideas??

Last edited:

Tahlen

Reaction score
Visit site
My understanding on HID's is that the bulb itself is on all the time - that is, the bulb is lit the same whether you switch between high or low beam. It is a shutter inside the projector that controls the light for low and high beam. To me this would indicate the bulb and ballasts function and that there is an issue with your low beam wiring.

I would triple check your frame grounds with an ohmmeter. Attach one lead from the ohmmeter to your ground wire on your headlight and the other lead to another grounded chunk of metal elsewhere on the bike. You should read near 0 ohms. You can also test using the negative battery terminal if you are having issues achieving 0 ohms just to rule out a bad ground in the mix, just be very careful not to connect the positive terminal to ground in any way.:thumbup:

Since you mentioned you added a switch to turn the bulb on/off I would also check the wiring for it. Uploading a photo of the schematic BKmoto sent with the light would be helpful - I'm not terribly familiar with their specific setup. Indicate how you think you have the extra switch connected as well.

Good luck!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think your problem Your configuration is turning off the low beam power which is your ballast power. So for your needs you need a relay that is kept alive anytime the bike is running to supply the ballasts power.

Also, you are aware that the OEM headlamp is only on when the engine is running, yes?

Please post up a schematic of how you wired this. It would help us to move forward.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In a few days i will be able to take some photos of wiring. As for seller, he didn't enclose any instructions...It was a bad surprise for me.

If you can sketch out what you think you did that will help.

Here is what I can tell you about the bike side;

OEM Headlight relay:
Yellow/Black trace is Gnd from the ECM. Meaning, if the engine is running, this goes to ground to actuate the relay coil.
Red/yellow trace - from head light fuse to relay coil side.
Red/yellow trace - from head light fuse to head light power
Green is power out of the relay to low beam bulb. At some point it goes from green to black/green trace at the H7 low beam bulb.

HB switch:
Yellow - out to Black/yellow trace to H4 bulb
Blue/black trace - HB power into switch

H4/H7 Ground = Black

IMO I'd run one extra relay capable of sustaining your ballasts. Connect the coil side to OEM H7 socket (on w/engine). From the battery, fused power to relay switched side. From other leg of the relay switch to your ballasts.

Your H4 Hi Beam socket needs a diode and run that to a pair of wires for each HB solenoid at the projector.

I think thats it.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to this great forum!

Here's a relay set up (see attachment) to power your HID ballasts. Connect both power leads from your ballasts to #87 on the relay. Some relays will have 87A but you won't be using that connector. Tape/insulate the 87A to keep it from grounding.

Now the black with yellow tracer wire from the original FZ6 headlight harness will be used to operate the Hi/Lo beam solenoid on your HID set up.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I built my own wiring harness to run my BI-xenon HID projectors on my 2006 FZ6.

The problem is that the factory low beam turns off when you turn on the high beams. What I did was run one wire from the low beam 12V+ with a diode and 1 wire from the high beam 12V+ with a diode to my ballast supply relays so the ballasts stay powered no matter which mode I'm in. Then your bi-xenon solenoids are run only to the high beam connector power so your HID high beam works as it should. The ground wires for the ballasts and the bi-xenon solenoids get all run back to battery ground.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I built my own wiring harness to run my BI-xenon HID projectors on my 2006 FZ6.

The problem is that the factory low beam turns off when you turn on the high beams. What I did was run one wire from the low beam 12V+ with a diode and 1 wire from the high beam 12V+ with a diode to my ballast supply relays so the ballasts stay powered no matter which mode I'm in. Then your bi-xenon solenoids are run only to the high beam connector power so your HID high beam works as it should. The ground wires for the ballasts and the bi-xenon solenoids get all run back to battery ground.

The faired version of the FZ6 does not turn off the low beam. It stays on when the high beam is turned on. Unless it's had the bd43 or the Universal relay mod. If you want to use the high beam in that H4 lamp then you must modify the circuit so that the low beam turns off.

The OEM naked version does switch off the low beam when the high beam is turned on because it used both filament in the single H4 lamp.

If you use the relay set up I've posted with the high beam wire controlling the shutter the HID system will perform correctly. :)

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
The faired version of the FZ6 does not turn off the low beam. It stays on when the high beam is turned on. Unless it's had the bd43 or the Universal relay mod. If you want to use the high beam in that H4 lamp then you must modify the circuit so that the low beam turns off.

The OEM naked version does switch off the low beam when the high beam is turned on because it used both filament in the single H4 lamp.

If you use the relay set up I've posted with the high beam wire controlling the shutter the HID system will perform correctly. :)

I stand corrected. It's been 6 years since I built my wiring harness. ;)

If that is the case then all you would have to do is run your HID ballasts relays off the low beam socket power as the trigger and run your HID bi-xenon solenoids off the high beam socket power and you are good to go. It's a very straight forward wiring setup.

I recommend 1 ballast relay for each ballast with it's own fuse. This way if the ballast shorts or fails only one headlight would go out.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I stand corrected. It's been 6 years since I built my wiring harness. ;)

If that is the case then all you would have to do is run your HID ballasts relays off the low beam socket power as the trigger and run your HID bi-xenon solenoids off the high beam socket power and you are good to go. It's a very straight forward wiring setup.

I recommend 1 ballast relay for each ballast with it's own fuse. This way if the ballast shorts or fails only one headlight would go out.

Yes his bike is a European and may be an OEM naked so the OEM switching may be exactly as you stated. :) But the pictures are of the faired version....

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm surprised to see a newer ballast with an external igniter... :rolleyes:

I think we're all on the same page, so I'm really unclear why the OP has an extra switch. IDK....

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I made some pictures of wiring, probably it will help you to give me any suggestions.

Look at the original OEM headlight plug in this image. Since your bike is a faired version the black with green tracer wire on that plug is the low beam power and if you use that wire to power your ballasts it should stay on even when you turn on the high beam. The only part I don't like is using that to power power both ballasts. I think you should be running a relay from the battery power and you could use that black with green trace wire as the relay control.

You may have to get someone a little more familiar with wiring to help you develop a solution.
Remember you must have the engine running to measure the original headlight voltages. You can start the engine and then hit the kill switch and the headlamp circuit with stay live.

54122d1404847441-hid-dual-low-beam-failure-img_6381-jpg