Hi vis gear and other issues facing Victorian riders

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi folks looks like its our turn to have gubbermint imposed rules and regs thrust at us:
Hi-vis gear
full leather riding gear
front number plates
and anti association laws.
Now I can see some value in ensuring appropriate gear is worn, and I subscribe to my hi-vis vest over my dark jacket but they are talking about a hi vis jump suit.
The design of riding gear is such that leather is no longer the sole option, sure cordura is uselss after its first slide down the road but if it meets the required standards it will have done the job it was intended for, and then its replaced. Frankly I cant afford to replace three pairs of dragginn' jeans and two jackects with protectors etc for a full hi-vis leather jumpsuit.

I don't agree with the front plate as an option Bikes are not designed for a front plate to be used in any country around the world.
and this is being sought because the police are having trouble catching speeding bikes. (A bit of overkill I think for revenue shortfalls imho)

My biggest concern is the anti association laws.
I can see that maybe there is a problem with outlaw m/cycle gangs and this might be a way for adding some power to the police, But I have real concerns that this is the beggining of an interperation of any group that is seen as unmanagable or difficult as a target for police attention
Most Aussies will remember the Joe Bjelke-Peterson days when groups of three or more people could be legally dispersed by Police.
This is POLICE STATE tactics in the early stages.
Therefore I am throwing my weight behind behind this protest.

I welcome discussion and comment

Moderators: my apologies if this post is deemed unsuitable for posting on the forum and I take no offence if it is taken down

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi-Vis jumpsuit eh?

You know, if we put neon strips up our limbs and a freaking flashing amber hazard light on our helmets, cagers STILL won't see us.

As for the front plate, that would RUIN the aerodynamic stability of a motorcycle.

All that will happen is that bike riders will get an interstate 'address' to specify on their licence and all will remain unchanged. (kind of like those USAnian local post boxes that divert your mail, so you cab take advantage of the free USAnian postage.)

Cheers,
Rick

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
373068_388946751173653_577700714_n.jpg

this is the sort of thing they are promoting
look out Power Rangers

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ah! MY EYES!

That does lead into another problem, however, because that suit is SO observable - it might hold the attention of the beholder at the exclusion of everything else. Say, a mother pushing her pram across the road etc.

Target fixation - it's a bastard....

Cheers,
Rick

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ah! MY EYES!

Cheers,
Rick

thats one of the things that has been raised...seriously, you have something that stands out at night and thats where everyone is going to head, during the day hi vis gets lost with the road workers, cyclists, delivery people, even the cops are wearing it now
a white helmet - that stands out above the traffic, but hi vis just gets lost in the mire during the day

...and really who is going to keep that hi vis clean if they can find a manufacturer to make it. Id be pretty pi55ed if it were a sh1t product.
I mean if I like Mottorad gear or Rukka or I import some other stuff I drool over from EEU or the States I'll be damn annoyed if its a 2nd rate product and thats what I am forced to buy or that I am forced to buy something that is hellishly expensive and I could get a "plain" set of gear for half the price.

The only propsal that makes any sort of sense is encouraging people to wear gear,The number of people I see, generally on vespas and the like, wearing flimsy slip on footwear or thongs,a nylon parka or the business suit jacket, no gloves, short or a skirt. These people do need to wake up ... ATGATT, this needs to be part of the education of riding and if imposing a fine for not wearing gear is the only way, I can cope with that, its like seat belt laws.

I dont want to look like a clown, but thats lesser I think compared to the anti association laws they want to establish

There has been a few people I have talked about the number plate issue and the discussion always comes back to the airflow. and how the bikes of today are not designed for a plate in fron tof the rad. grill. I could conceib=vably put a plate infront of my guages above the headlight, but if I come off and hit it and slice my neck open, whose fault is that?

I really get worried by the concept of penalising a group just because someone with the power to legislate says thats what they want, and in this day and age of pollies from all sides clambouring to hold a seat and a vote from the majority that they are telling 'the bikie is a boogie man', well this is wrong! Next it will be the rowdy football team supporters...Get rid of those Magpie supporters.....stop the rabble at the tennis, what about all the rev heads at the GP--- I mean who will bbe next.......

They have already done some of that with the "Occupy Melbourne Rally" people.

Now I am not saying I agree with all of the sentiments of the Occupy Melbourne participants, and I reckon some of them were the rent-a-crowd ferals, but it was funny how the police went in on them with batons and horses at the order of the gubbermint and then the police pay dispute was settled P.D.Q.
So if there is a law that says they cant congregate in a group of say 10 people, the police wont need a financial incentive to act, they'll have to by order.
Only have to see how eagerly they got involved with the Grollo building dispute to see that as a tool of gubbermint, they will do what the master asks

sorry bout the rant but this rankles and its stuck in my craw to boot

Rebuilt

EX Fazer still love em !
Reaction score
Visit site
Its wrong in many ways .. what about we make the police wear clown suits n the car drivers (excludeing those who know how to ride a bike properly ) to paint all cars luminous green or somthing so we stand a chance of those who think they own the road ... n the donut who makes these stupid thngs up not be alowd to drive anything :thumbup:

Now theres some rules that match they`res

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ah! MY EYES!

That does lead into another problem, however, because that suit is SO observable - it might hold the attention of the beholder at the exclusion of everything else. Say, a mother pushing her pram across the road etc.

Cheers,
Rick
bugger to go for a pee too...
neil

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ade, I don't even know what to say.

Do they think all these changes will ensure NO rider is hurt or killed on a bike?

Absolutely ridiculous.

They are trying to bring in front number plates in WA. We already have anti-association laws, but I don't think a group on a Sunday run through the Chittering Valley would get their attention.

The jump suit is a bloody joke. As is full leather AS LAW. I ride with good gear - draggin/kevlar jeans, all my jackets have kevlar in them EXCEPT my leather jacket. What an absolute joke to try to ENFORCE you to wear full leather.

:rant::rant::rant:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey kazza thanks for the response
I'm not really worried about a bunch of us going on a w/end ride, in reality I think 99.9% of riders are more concerned with their own well being, their families , and the camaraderie of good friends to ever put that in jeopardy by attracting the attentions of plod
I just don't trust the likes of Bailleau coming up or agreeing with this sort of tripe. And it's this initial attack to apply a solution that is so over the top in every facet
The number plate deal is solely to identify riders that might be getting away and escaping an infringement notice and therefore robbing the gubbermint of revenue
I know we all know peeps that push the boundaries from time to time,squids doing stupid things but that's not all of us, all the time.
I DO wear a hi vis vest over my winter jacket , a hi vis RST, so im not scared of that concept, I am scared of having to renew all mygear. Losing my choice to buy what I like/ can afford and in summer I like my A* mesh jacket in blue
And I bought all this as I could. I upgrade a jacket after 4-5 seasons to the best I can afford

Ah look stop me I know I am preaching to the converted, we all have a bit of an idea of what authorities like to think we all need. I'm just sick of being told "you will do this...."
Just stay interested folks that's all I ask

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk