Hi. A few questions.

benny66

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey I’m new to the forums and new to street bikes in general. I plan on getting a FZ6 for my first bike at the beginning of next summer. I have a lot of dirt bike experience and love to ride, but some people on this forum and others think that the FZ6 is to much for a first bike. I’m responsible and wont act like a jerk on the bike if I cant handle it over 6000 RPM then I wont ride it over 6000. I wanted to get a few opinions on weather it is right for me.?

Next question is how hard is it to pass the road test in New York state?

I’m choosing to get a bike over a new car is this a bad decision?

Thanks to every one who took the time to read this and I hope I can become a integral part of this forum.

edit: i dont want to get a 250 because i have been told by friends who ride that the 250's get boring after a couple months. and my cavy is in good condition very little rust and needs a new valve cover gasket.

edit: buying next year because i have to pay off my first year of college :)

edit: 5'8

Last edited:
Hey I’m new to the forums and new to street bikes in general. I plan on getting a FZ6 for my first bike at the beginning of next summer. I have a lot of dirt bike experience and love to ride, but some people on this forum and others think that the FZ6 is to much for a first bike. I’m responsible and wont act like a jerk on the bike if I cant handle it over 6000 RPM then I wont ride it over 6000. I wanted to get a few opinions on weather it is right for me.?

Next question is how hard is it to pass the road test in New York state?

I’m choosing to get a bike over a new car is this a bad decision?

Thanks to every one who took the time to read this and I hope I can become a integral part of this forum.

1. welcome to the forums Benny!
2. As you stated this may not be the best first street bike for anyone. as many will tell you start small and work your way up you have many miles ahead of you and I cant tell you how many people get in over their head and swear off riding all together because they got a bike too big/powerful for them. If you feel responsible enought to contain the beast than maybe it is right for you but only you can make that desicion.
3. I dont know the actual answer to the NY road test...but, take the MSF course. it will get you your license without the road test and teach you vital street bike skills.
4. New car? how bad is the old one? would a ninja 250 dent your budget to the point where you couldn't still get the car? and then save up for the FZ after some time on the 250?

good luck!

I started riding April 2007 on an Honda VLX600 and then I moved over to my FZ in August. I think the FZ is an awesome starter sportbike but now I'm ready for something more aggressive. You'll have to see what style riding you like on the street to be honest. I didn't know what I wanted when I first started riding which is why I've been through two totally different bikes in the last year trying to figure it out. But I definitely feel that the FZ is a good between for a cruiser and sprotbike because of its upright riding style but not so upright that you can lean over and get on the throttle if you want. Hope that helps. I'd let you ride mine if you were close to me so you could just see for yourself.

I would LOVE the chance to rail on a Kawi 250. Horsepower is the least thrilling part of riding a motorcycle well (IMHO).

EDIT - next summer??? Why so long from now? Buy used, start small, you can ride today!!!

As I said in the other thread:

As a new rider, this is my only complaint about the FZ6... It's way too easy to over-rev. You have to be extremely careful, and even then I've found myself reving it way to high on occasion, luckily I'm quick on the clutch and it just makes a scary sound instead of a scary take-off. Once you're moving, it's really no big deal. Just keep it below 6-7k RPMs, which isn't hard to do. You can drive all day long, as fast as you need, without hitting that.

But seriously, it's the first thousand RPMs to worry about ;)

But if you've been riding dirtbikes for a while, I don't know that it woudl be a problem. How tall are you? Another thing about the FZ6 that sticks out to me, is that it's a fairly tall bike. Again, I've never ridden anything else, but just in my limited experiences it seems taller than most. Since I'm 6'5" it doesn't bother me, but it may be a bit big if you're a shorter guy. Sit on one and see.

I would LOVE the chance to rail on a Kawi 250. Horsepower is the least thrilling part of riding a motorcycle well (IMHO).

EDIT - next summer??? Why so long from now? Buy used, start small, you can ride today!!!

I agree. HP should be one of the very last things that you consider. Fit and comfort are the most important, and of course your budget.

A friend of mine has a Ninja 250 keeps up just fine with 1000cc bikes. She only weights about 110 lbs and the little Ninja will pull about 105 mph with her. The new Ninja 250, if you can find one, is about $3,600, quite the bang for the buck. And the colors totally rock!

That said, a Rebel 250 is a pretty boring bike.

In NY don't you need a car in the winter? When I was in college in Colorado I only had a motorcycle and for all but a few weeks of the year I got around fine. But man was I cold at times! As I was riding I'd warm my hands on the top of the motor, and than was with Thinsilite insultated riding gloves.

This answers the ninja 250 question. I loved mine. I still miss it. You know what. It was tons of fun.

Big speed in straight line is kinda boring after the first few times.

If your a learning rider, in my opinion the EX250 ninja is the best learner bike out there. Lots of guys just keep riding it. Lots of them move up, then buy another ninja cause they miss it so much.

Its a blast.

700 Miles on a Kawasaki Ninja 250 - A motorcyclist's review - Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

Definitely go for the MSF course and get your waiver for the road test. I've heard negative things about taking the NYS road course, mostly just the fact it can be a hassle. Plus the MSF course is fun and you could, scratch that, you WILL learn things that could save your life in the future. Dirt riding and street riding are two different animals, no cagers on dirt. Big plus with the course is you can take it without having your own bike yet! Meaning you could take it this summer so that next summer you can actually take some bikes for a test ride while buying, most wont let you testride without proper endorsement.

On the 250 comments, my friend just picked up the new 08 Ninja 250r. The thing looks awesome, I keep telling him to pick up some ZX-6r stickers for it, the average joe wouldnt be able to tell the difference :thumbup: However, after riding the FZ, the Ninja just had no OOOMPH.

Here is the link to MSF classes in NYS.

:Sport:

I think since you have had dirt bike experience that the FZ6 would not be a bad choice for you. But I do recomend the Motorcyle Safety Course. It offers a lot of good knowledge about riding on the street. Plus if it tests for your states endorsment, it's well worth the money. It offers a lot less stress than DMV and if a bike gets dropped, it's not your new baby.

Back