Help with Top case for upcoming ride

MoeDog

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Fellow members, I have this issue on deciding what top case to choose. I have done some extensive search on the forum for the past week or so and cant decide on what top case do I want. Here is what I would like

1. decent size maybe around 37 to 47 litters. I split on my commute back home and would like something to keep the wideness of the bike the same.

2. I dont really care about looks much just function. I would like something to help my wife relax and lay back a little.

3. extra lighting would be nice

4. price is a big factor for me as i am limited.

I would like to stick to Givi since i hear nothing but good things from them. also a recommended Rack to go with the top box would be nice. and best place to buy from online or in store. that has fast shipping because I needed it by next Friday. I have never seen one in person so that why its so hard for me to choose one. Any Help would be gladly appreciated thanks.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Fellow members, I have this issue on deciding what top case to choose. I have done some extensive search on the forum for the past week or so and cant decide on what top case do I want. Here is what I would like

1. decent size maybe around 37 to 47 litters. I split on my commute back home and would like something to keep the wideness of the bike the same.

2. I dont really care about looks much just function. I would like something to help my wife relax and lay back a little.

3. extra lighting would be nice

4. price is a big factor for me as i am limited.

I would like to stick to Givi since i hear nothing but good things from them. also a recommended Rack to go with the top box would be nice. and best place to buy from online or in store. that has fast shipping because I needed it by next Friday. I have never seen one in person so that why its so hard for me to choose one. Any Help would be gladly appreciated thanks.

Not sure if any members ended up with any of these, but it was a hot item for a while until they ran out.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/30355-sears-has-motorcycle-trunks-sale-32-49-42-49-a.html

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is what I did with the Sears case, very inexpensive. plus I added LED lights it, just as an option.

I wish I could make something like that, but my handiness is pretty limited.

I've been looking for a top case with roughly those same needs, but my searches have come up pretty empty so far.

My other concern is weight capacity - a lot of what I've seen couldn't hold too much more than laptop (it's heavy...). What's the strongest rack out there?

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a v46 from givi and absolutly love it.. not to big, not to small.. easily holds my helmet.. i belive the rack i have is just a mono rack from givi.. I have no idea how much it "can" hold, but i durring camping, i have put probably 50 pounds of wood in it and no problems (could be less could be more, i didnt have a scale).. as for stores, i really had a good experience with twisted throttle, but if you really need one quick, call whoever your ordering from to make sure they have it in stock. :thumbup:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
here is a few pics to help. and the pic with the wood, that was only about half of what i put it it, i got nervous and took half out before i snapped the pic..

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Givi rack with Kappa top case, similar to LErecords. After about 30,000 miles the rack has partially broken but I'm still using it. I think I've abused it quite a bit though...the recommended weight capacity is very low.

I bought my whole setup used for around $150 shipped. No regrets and I still love it.

3050725472_c1b94989b4_o.jpg

3764660776_ea6e19d3b4_b.jpg

The rack brok right where the RED bungee cord with yellow hook comes down and hooks to the rack
4556049119_326e299feb_b.jpg

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
...also a recommended Rack to go with the top box would be nice. and best place to buy from online or in store. that has fast shipping because I needed it by next Friday. I have never seen one in person so that why its so hard for me to choose one. Any Help would be gladly appreciated thanks.

Check out the shad rack, discussion here and here. The Givi top box on CL should mount right up.

I got mine at CycleLuggage:
Motorcycle Luggage, Saddlebags And Luggage Accessories - Cycleluggage.com

Shad top master for Yamaha Fazer FZ6 N/S 600 04-09

For a time the Shad rack was available direct from Yamaha for less, but when I checked you could only "add to wish list", could not "add to cart".

MoeDog

Reaction score
Visit site
I ended buying the one from craiglist for $75 i think the model name is Givi Monolock E450 Simply. Does anyone know what rack and hardware would i need to get it install on the bike?

FuriousGeorge

Reaction score
Visit site
I ended buying the one from craiglist for $75 i think the model name is Givi Monolock E450 Simply. Does anyone know what rack and hardware would i need to get it install on the bike?

I have the SW-Motech rack and really like it. It's a little more expensive than the Givi rack, but it's adaptable to any type of case out there. The case you got is a monolock. If you ever decide to go with one of the bigger Givi cases in the future they use the monokey mounting system. With the SW-Motech you can switch between them in seconds. I ordered mine from Twisted Throttle and I highly recommend them.

MoeDog

Reaction score
Visit site
Before I buy the sw-motech rack at twisted trottle do I have to by the extra $35 monolock plate? My givi box came with a universal plate I think it's a monolock because same key is used to open the case and to take it off the plate

FuriousGeorge

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, unfortunately you do. That's why the SW-Motech ends up being a bit more expensive. The basic rack is about the same price, but Givi includes the adapter. If money is tight the Givi works perfectly well and I'm sure you'd be happy with it. I just like the modularity of the SW-Motech system. I have the cheapie JC Whitney case on my rack right now, but I think I'm going to get the Pelican Storm luggage from Twisted Throttle in the future. It's nice to have options.

Both the monolock and the monokey use the same key to open the case and attach it to the base. The difference is how they mount. I think the monolock has some tabs on the bottom of the case that slide into slots on the base while the monokey has a couple of posts on the base that slide into slots cut into the bottom of the case.

MoeDog

Reaction score
Visit site
I was about to buy the sw-mech but now I am just thinking of making my own for far less, maybe we can all put some thought into fabricating our own, anyone in the bay area has a welder ? I can help with basic cost for first trial and errors maybe I can find a cheap tube bender?

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the Genuine Yamaha top case - 46 litre - on my FZ6 - really good.

Givi is no good for my bike as I don't have the stock pipes, and, judging by the Givi website, you need them stock exhaust clamp to help fix the Givi. Correct me if I'm wrong guys :confused:

Prebstar has the Givi on his XJR1300 - he loves it - takes a whole carton of beer ;)

Last edited:

MoeDog

Reaction score
Visit site
well I decided not to buy any racks from Givi or SW motech . I was about to but after taxes and shipping it was close to the $200 range. I refuse to get ripped off by these companies for some simple aluminum plate. you just don't get much for what you pay for, at least that's the way I feel.

The good thing is that my brother in law has worked with casting silver with his family in Mexico for many years. He offered his help on making or finding a foundry furnace and helping me make the mold to pour the melted aluminum too. My only problem right now is that I don't have a rack to make a mold of. I might just make a rack made of MDF wood just to get the shape i need to use it as a mold.

if anyone wants to offer to lend their rack for a few hours to make a mold that would be great, and you can stick around to see the process unfold.