Help with K&N filter

mkjeld76

USCG Retired
Reaction score
Visit site
I go to install my new K&N filter it doesn't fit in air box plus it has holes that would look as though air would just shoot by. Doesn't even match the pictures on the installation instructions. Does this look like the correct filter or is something missing like the rubber coating around the edges.

Last edited:

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have a K&N for the FZ6 but have had them on other bikes. That doesn't look like a K&N to me.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks kinda like someone drilled it out to save weight. Yeah, that's it, now you're really going to notice the hp gains! And man, the air is gonna flow like crazy mad... :rockon:

sorry. Yeah, it looks as if someone forgot the rubbery edge bits.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
off-topic,
but what effect does the k+n really have? can you really \"feel\" a difference?

Buy mine and find out for yourself...

Seriously, I have no idea. This has been discussed and debated, nothing like an oil thread but there are folks on both "sides" of the filter, so to speak.

You can search on k&n and find a thread where I posted a link to a test of filter media. K&N filters do flow more air, but in doing so they also let more crap through. I'm going back to the stock paper unit.

pt1979

Reaction score
Visit site
Buy mine and find out for yourself...

Seriously, I have no idea. This has been discussed and debated, nothing like an oil thread but there are folks on both \"sides\" of the filter, so to speak.

You can search on k&n and find a thread where I posted a link to a test of filter media. K&N filters do flow more air, but in doing so they also let more crap through. I'm going back to the stock paper unit.

yeah yeah, I know, endless debates.
I had a K+N in one of my previous cars - Fiat Bravo 1.6 16V, that was pretty cool :D
...well anyway, I do not plan to buy and install one for the bike. I think it's not worth the price you pay for it (Austria - around EUR 60...)