Help/opinions on fork rebuild

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys and Gals,
I'm getting my forks rebuilt with Racetech 1kg/mm springs, and was wondering if anyone had help or suggestions as to what fork oil is recommended for the (much) heavier springs.

Spacings and fork height etc.

I'd be really appreciative for any personal experiences with the FZ6 forks and the heavier weight, linear, fork springs.

Cheers,
Rick

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
Subbed, i am soon looking to have forks done with no springs and oil, but still a bit grey on the whole thing. The front is just getting to mushy under breaking.

Is this a typo or are you really rebuilding your forks without springs and oil ??

wndsrfr48

Reaction score
Visit site
I rebuilt my forks a few months ago using Racetech .95 springs and Bel-Ray 10 wt oil. You are wise to go with the 1kg springs. I would use at least 10 w oil. I weigh 200 lbs and although the springs are a bit stiffer, I still get a lot of "dive" under hard braking

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I rebuilt my forks a few months ago using Racetech .95 springs and Bel-Ray 10 wt oil. You are wise to go with the 1kg springs. I would use at least 10 w oil. I weigh 200 lbs and although the springs are a bit stiffer, I still get a lot of "dive" under hard braking

That's because the valving/metering is not improved. Yes, you have a higher rate springs but without control of the dampening, its still going to dive during braking.

Rick,
For your app, I would not exceed 0.95. Should you decide to upgrade the dampening by throwing money at it later, the 1.00kgm/mm springs will be too stiff. So you + gear is = ?? >220lbs or <200lbs?
Mix some 10 and 15 for >200 220. Maybe 15wt for >225+ ??

FWIW: I'm 205 w/gear and have 0.88kgm/mm springs linear rate springs (R6) and they work great with the improved dampening of the R6 forks.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Rick,
For your app, I would not exceed 0.95. Should you decide to upgrade the dampening by throwing money at it later, the 1.00kgm/mm springs will be too stiff. So you + gear is = ?? >220lbs or <200lbs?
Mix some 10 and 15 for >200 220. Maybe 15wt for >225+ ??

Umm - I'm a bit more than 220lb, (naked!), and I like to take my son for rides, so we'd be close to 350-375lb-ish. (not naked when I take my son for a ride!)

So, I'd be looking at 15w oil? I already have the 1kg/mm Racetech springs.

Cheers,
Rick

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Umm - I'm a bit more than 220lb, (naked!), and I like to take my son for rides, so we'd be close to 350-375lb-ish. (not naked when I take my son for a ride!)

So, I'd be looking at 15w oil? I already have the 1kg/mm Racetech springs.

Cheers,
Rick

TMI! lol

This is not sales pitch as there's nothing in for me, but the R6 fork swap was night and day when two up! I would really consider the emulators or fork swap. Its a fraction of the cost the pipes and something you won't regret!

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I appreciate the R6 fork swap would be better, but here in Oz, 2nd hand parts are a lot more expensive.

Like, hugely lots!

So, I have to take the lesser path and rebuild my shocks with the correct springs for my weight.

After a bit more research, it does seem that 15w oil is needed.

Cheers,
Rick