Help Me With My Decision on Used FZ-6

ilinimud

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, first post here. I have some questions about a 07' FZ-6 im looking at. I am looking at trading a ZR2 Chevy Blazer for it. I was going to try to sell it and hopefully get 4k for it, so that gives you an idea of how much i will be giving up to get it.

Here is the background on the bike, and my concerns. It is an 07' model 4,700 miles on it. First owner worked at a yamaha bike shop, the person who has it now is the second owner. He had an accident on it before winter. Someone pulled out in front of him on a paved back road, he hit the brakes and a pothole while braking. That caused him to go down on the right side. It slid awhile and then flipped over to the left for a couple of feet. He says he has replaced everything that was damaged except the front of the faring by the headlight, and the part that concerns me some scratches on the right side of the motor. He said it doesnt leak any oil or anything, and he has put 600 trouble free miles on it since then.

Should this be a bike im interested in? Im looking to trade rather than sell my Blazer because it is usually a pain in the butt to try and sell a 4x4 when gas prices are so high. So what do you fellas think, what are some things i should look at when i go see it? Thanks for any help you give me.

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
As much as I appreciate the owner's honesty about the FZ6, I would be hesitant on purchasing it. Unless, of course, he's selling it for a very cheap price. My opinion would be to pass on it and wait for a better deal to come along. With the soft economy going on right now,there a quite a few good deals out there. Just my .02.

daredevil27

Reaction score
Visit site
I would do it, if the first person worked a dealership they most likely took good care of it broke it in properly as well. The second owner replaced most of the damage. I have personally laid by bike down a time or two and can attest the fz6 engine is a champ. Unless it went end over end and bent the frame i wouldn't worry about it. I think this would be a great deal a 4x4 gas guzzler for an fz6! also 4K is about what you'd currently buy and stock '07 model for as well. If i were you id take it for a test ride and thoroughly take a look at the engine for damage. If you'd really like you could have a Yamaha mechanic look over it as well. Anyway if the man is true to his word this sounds like a killer deal. Good luck.

ilinimud

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah the two things i am most worried about were the frame being bent, and the motor being damaged. I wish it had two brothers exhaust then i would be sold. LOL. The only problem with test riding it is i dont have my license yet, and i havent rode a bike since i was 15 and had a dirtbike....

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
I would also pass on this bike, depending on the damage it took in the accident it could have had a few problems that aren't seen. I'd keep looking!

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
for 4000 usd? i say pass up better bikes crop up for less money.....

however i tend to disagree with the other members here, since the damage is mainly cosmetic i dont think there would be underlying problems engine wise if the bike was taken care of....do check if the forks are bent tho.. sit on the bike and on the handlebar, if the bike returns smoothly to its position the forks should be ok, if you feel any friction or notches, the forks have to be replaced or straightened

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
4k is too much for an 07 with accident history like that...
our bike has an aluminum frame, light and beautiful,
but I don't think it likes to be bounced down the road,
a little parking lot or driveway lay down is nothing,
but I'd stay away from this one

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
I say no.

Be patient. There should be plenty of better bikes than this out there.

I agree, in this economy there is no need to buy a bike that has been wrecked. Besides, $4K will buy a FZ6 in very good condition these days - you can do much better.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I suppose it's the usual: the black painted stator (or whatever it is) cover on the right side that got scratched. Quite a few people (including me) that have gone down on this side end up with this cosmetic damage. I still haven't bothered totouch up/spray it. The bike sure is low mileage for an '07! I guess FZ6's aren't popping up for sale everywhere, but, yeah, aren't there any others with which to compare? I paid 6.8K for my '07 out the door (incl. tax/license) in '07. Check this link out for Kelly Blue Book value on the 2007 Yamaha FZ6:

2007 Yamaha FZ6 Motorcycle Retail Value & Price - Kelley Blue Book

Have you tried to haggle the price down?

ilinimud

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all of the input guys. I have found bikes cheaper, but none willing to trade. This guy has the bike listed for sell for 3,800 obo the reason I said 4-4500 is because that is what I value my truck at. But that is if I find a buyer, this isn't the first time I tried to sell this truck.

The damages on the motor were to the cover thing on the right side.

Also, he is throwing in a 250 dollar Joe Rocket jacket, two brand new helmets and gloves.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This isn't going to help you but I'll throw it out there for someone else to answer. These bikes are fuel injected. How long do they run when laying down? The point being, the engines oil pick up is designed to work when the bike is upright. SO guys, do they keep running on there side? Is there additional wear to the engine from running while its down?

I'm going to say its negligible and let go, but it might be something you can ask the owner and barter over. Maybe he pays you cash back too???

FYI: bought an 08, no damage, never down 41xxmiles, $4300. Not sure if that helps. They are out there.

Last edited:

foresterntree

Reaction score
Visit site
Pass it up and look for another. There are plenty more out there. Paid $3500 for an 07 with around 5K miles back in February of this year.

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This isn't going to help you but I'll throw it out there for someone else to answer. These bikes are fuel injected. How long do they run when laying down? The point being, the engines oil pick up is designed to work when the bike is upright. SO guys, do they keep running on there side? Is there additional wear to the engine from running while its down?

I'm going to say its negligible and let go, but it might be something you can ask the owner and barter over. Maybe he pays you cash back too???

FYI: bought an 08, no damage, never down 41xxmiles, $4300. Not sure if that helps. They are out there.

The lean-angle sensor would kill the motor in the event of a crash if Im not mistaken. I know mine wasnt running after I layed mine down...:D

I'd sell the truck and buy another bike

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The lean-angle sensor would kill the motor in the event of a crash if Im not mistaken. I know mine wasnt running after I layed mine down...:D

I'd sell the truck and buy another bike

It has a sensor for such things????? Wow! Who knew?!!!

Thanks!

cookies

Reaction score
Visit site
if the engine has any scratches on it whatsoever, i would pass as well, but that's because i have the blue / black and it looks SOOOOO FRIGGIN awesome, and i HATE scratches, my bike is an 06 with a belly pan , and painted black headers, the bike looks sick, and people tell me ALL The time how brand new it looks. it even stays outside ( apartment ) with a cover on it all the time, so no garage here. moral of the story is, i paid 3k for mine, it's a bit older, but just as nice if not nicer promise. plus i don't think the bike is even worth 4k i can't see a used fz going for more than 3500 uunless it just has hardly any iles at all.

ilinimud

Reaction score
Visit site
Well he has it listed for sale for 3,500 now. The prices you guys are saying you paid are way lower than anything I can find in my area. I have only found a couple within 200 miles of me, and they are anywhere from 4,500-5,999. I think I'm gonna take the gamble on this one, at least go look at it and ride it.

Thanks again for all the input, hopefully it is still in good shape despite the accident. If I get it I will post pics, and be back with more questions and hopefully some mods. LOL

Last edited:

youngGun

Reaction score
Visit site
Id say ride it, if it tracks straight no head shake and feels good and tight, take it. Ya the price may be a little high for a bike that has been down, but i cant find a fz6 of any year model around me for less than 3500-4000 so it still in the ball park even though its been down....bedsides im with you on the hard to sell a 4x4 right now it would take a while to get the blazer sold and by then u could have saved a ton in gas by riding the fz. just my .02 but if it were me id go for it.