Help me pick my first mod!!

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so technically i already made my first mod (progrip tank pad) but i'm not counting that because it's boring :D

Anyways, due to a hefty paycheck coming this week due to a 72 hr work week last week... i will have extra cash floating around.

SO, i need ideas for my first mod! I have a list of current ideas i have, feel free to chime in (note my bike's a versys not an fz6 so things like "fz1 bar" etc won't really work without some welding and a hammer) :rolleyes:

On a budget of probably 500-600 USD

Current ideas:

GPS mount + wiring/12v kit

Gopro or similar helm/bike mount vid/camera

sprocket (-1 front)

Saddlebags
OR
Top case

Knobbys? (kind of like my current tire tbh lol)

The actual GPS, was thinking the Garmin Zumo or maybe a tomtom (i'm a Garmin guy tho)...was just going to use my Garmin Nuivi in the meantime though.

Anyways that sum's up my list... feel free to toss out other mods you think would be worth it or specific Brands that you've tried and liked or didn't like...

Thanks a ton in advance, as always :thumbup:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Frame Sliders?

I would probably go for Luggage since fall is touring season! :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
dxh24 said:
GPS mount + wiring/12v kit

Excellent idea, but this is a cheap mod! I got the wire for $25 and a waterproof case for another $20! I've been using my Nuvi for a while with zero issues.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-GPS032-Smartphone-Waterproof-Motorcycle/dp/B003FMUP0K/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1311686995&sr=8-9]Arkon Hard case[/ame]

Direct Wire 12-30V DC Hardwire Pigtail Cable for Garmin Nuvi

dxh24 said:
Gopro or similar helm/bike mount vid/camera

+1 on this one! Very fun to record your rides. You can watch them in the winter when you're buried under 6 feet of snow!
I've been happy with Contour and the current offering for ~$300 (about the same as GoPro) has a built-in GPS to sync up location to video. No personal experience with this feature though.

dxh24 said:
sprocket (-1 front)

This should be inexpensive. If most of your riding is off highway I guess this mod makes sense.

dxh24 said:
Saddlebags OR Top case

This was one of my favorite mods (top case). It allowed me to use the bike for so many more things. Errands, small shopping, longer trips.. it's just awesome to have a lockable, waterproof case!

dxh24 said:
Knobbys? (kind of like my current tire tbh lol)

I'd pass if I mainly rode on pavement. Heck.. I've ridden on several dirt/gravel roads on my FZ with sport touring tires and it did just fine.

dxh24 said:
The actual GPS, was thinking the Garmin Zumo or maybe a tomtom (i'm a Garmin guy tho)...was just going to use my Garmin Nuivi in the meantime though.

Save the money and just get a waterproof case for Nuvi!

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Thought about heated grips but haven't really ridden in anything yet where my hands got cold, it's usually my wrists and forearm that get cold lol...i'll bet that changes come fall though.

Forgot bout frame sliders, they actually make engine guards for the V since it's a half arsed Dual sport...they actually make some pretty chunky ones, might have to consider sliders or guards...

I agree, luggage has been bothering me since i started riding... this morning on the way home from work i picked up 5 cans of dog food and had to stuff them in my heavy leather jacket....i'm sure i looked like a fat lumpy guy on a sport bike lol

FZ6_Dude

FZ6 Corner Carver
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, luggage has been bothering me since i started riding... this morning on the way home from work i picked up 5 cans of dog food and had to stuff them in my heavy leather jacket....i'm sure i looked like a fat lumpy guy on a sport bike lol

that right there is awesome... :rof:

get ya some luggage even if its just a tank or tail bag... soft luggage is cheap and will suffice until you think of something more permanent...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah baby!!

accessorized-versys.jpg

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site

At least it was dog food and not a 6-pack of beer bottles sticking out of every pocket and crevice! :BLAA:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bd's or Motogiro's duel headlight mod, Jerry's mirror extenders, Killernoodle's clutch slave lever....Best functional mods I've done:thumbup:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Bd's or Motogiro's duel headlight mod, Jerry's mirror extenders, Killernoodle's clutch slave lever....Best functional mods I've done:thumbup:

Will be the first mods i do when i add an fz6 to my garage next summer :thumbup:

Versys though, not fz6 little more vague mods :D

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
At least it was dog food and not a 6-pack of beer bottles sticking out of every pocket and crevice! :BLAA:

I was thinking on the way home "better not get pulled over, they're gonna think i've got bombs strapped to me or something!" lol Then i'd stand up to put my arms in the air and say "don't shoot" and canned dog food falls out of my jacket :rof:

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
All good ideas so far . . . I am enjoying the heck out my gps. I just got a new (used) Garmin 760 with bluetooth and mp3 player. Pretty soon I'll be getting the Cardo (I think) bike to bike kit. Then I'll have phone, gps, intercom and music.

I like tunes the best. While out today, I listened to "Animals" by Pink Floyd and "Automatic for the People" by REM. I got chills listening to "Find the River" while cresting a beautiful curve along the Connecticut River. My return trip was all Pearl Jam.

Joe

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
All good ideas so far . . . I am enjoying the heck out my gps. I just got a new (used) Garmin 760 with bluetooth and mp3 player. Pretty soon I'll be getting the Cardo (I think) bike to bike kit. Then I'll have phone, gps, intercom and music.

I like tunes the best. While out today, I listened to "Animals" by Pink Floyd and "Automatic for the People" by REM. I got chills listening to "Find the River" while cresting a beautiful curve along the Connecticut River. My return trip was all Pearl Jam.

Joe

Animals in my opinion is Pink Floyd's best album! Oh yeah, its your bike man! Do your own thing and make it yours!

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Now, I know the roads in Rochester suck, but knobbies? Probably not.

Are you happy with all your gear?

Barring that, I'd lean toward GPS and accessories.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly i'm leaning towards GPS and luggage... gps so when i go trying to find a good twisty road in ny, and travel 100's of miles with no luck...i can find my way home :thumbup: and luggage b/c well... have you ever actually tried stuffing 5 big cans of dog food in your jacket and then driving? lol

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly i'm leaning towards GPS and luggage... gps so when i go trying to find a good twisty road in ny, and travel 100's of miles with no luck...i can find my way home :thumbup: and luggage b/c well... have you ever actually tried stuffing 5 big cans of dog food in your jacket and then driving? lol

Not dog food, but I have carried 3 gallons of beer (from Custom Brewcrafters) in the form of 6 growlers.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I just ordered my 12V power outlet with trickle charger pigtail so it doubles as both! Now I can finally charge my cell phone and GPS on my touring trips! :rockon:

You will need one of those bad boys!