Help me fix her after our accident

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
I had posted in another thread that I went down. Now I need to get her all healed up. When I went down it was on the right side and the frame slider took most of the abuse. Three things though need attention:

1) I leaked out some coolant and now she is running hot. Am I ok to just replace some into the reservoir or do I need to flush and refill again?

I recently replaced the coolant and while I can't remember the exact brand was 50/50 which I have more of in a new bottle (perhaps different brand) at home.

2) The front fairing on the right side ended up with a small crack on the top like behind the mirror (only about 1") as well as the tab where the bolt holds it to the stay above the headlight rubber boot broke (so it is kind of hanging). How can I repair this is there some sort of glue that will bond ABS(?) plastic?

3) The entire front end plastics (not frame or forks) is slightly shifted up and to the left (fell on the right). It isn't that noticeable except to me sitting on the bike and where you look at the gaps between the plastics and the gas tank or frame but it is rubbing on the tank taking the paint off. Is it possible to bend it back or order just new stays and replace those?

* The most critical at the moment is dealing with the over heating so I can get to and from work.

Thanks in advance!

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
So I just checked the coolant and the oil and both are at a good level. There was definitely some coolant on the ground where I went down but it is right at the full line. However when I am ridnig for a while whenever I come to a light the heat level on the dash is going all the way up until I get going again. The only thing I see wrong (besides the cosmetic damage) is I am missing a bolt on the side of the radiator that seems to hold the cover on:

176587d1226453747-fz6-radiator-side-covers-188_zpsangshoxl.jpg

Any ideas on what could be causing it to get so hot or maybe I am just only now realizing it?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That spot, with your arrow, yes there's a bolt there (should be) that holds that shield on. It likely vibrated loose.

Re the fairing being lopsided, you bent the main stay. Mine was bent when I got the bike, same as yours, slightly up on one side, gaps not right, etc.

I'm very good with metal, but the stay is about impossible to get straight. Just get a new (or used one). Its also very likely that the phillips head screws that hold the headlight to the fairing, stayed and the "plastic" lugs, busted off the headlight assembly. Someone here posted a product that worked very well at re-securing those.

For the coolant, with the engine cold, you can check inside the radiator cap (pay attention to the anti-tamper device, how it goes on) and see if its full.

The over flow tank should empty as coolant is needed back into the radiator. You may have lost more coolant than you thought, or ?? But peeking under the cap and topping off both would be the safe way to go...

You don't need to flush the coolant again, you simply lost coolant, you didn't introduce anything into the system. It was likely Preston 50/50(which I use and like)

Last edited:

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
The coolant leak may just be from the overflow pipe on the reservoir which exits under the brake pedal; some ran out while the bike was on it's side.
I have also seen normal water come out of the fuel overflow pipe after spraying the bike down with a hose.

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
That would be me, it is called Q-Bond and it is fantastic stuff.

Cool thanks was about to go pickup loctite (two part) plastic epoxy as I read some Amazon reviews it would work on bikes but will look this up.

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
If the temperature stays steady when riding and only overheats when you are sitting, it sounds like your fan isn't coming on. This is fairly common: could be a pebble/rock stuck preventing it from moving, or just fully broken fan etc.

When you come to a stop, look down to see if the fan kicks on. I believe you have the pre-07, so you don't have a temperature gauge, but if I recall, the fan should kick on around 4 bars on the temp gauge. If it doesn't, that's likely the issue. Don't let your bike overheat while you are waiting for the fan to kick on, though! I'd recommend parking it in your driveway ready to ride, and then take off it doesn't come on and starts getting too hot.

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
Oops, sorry for the confusion! What I meant was the pre-07 don't have the *actual temperature*, just the bars. Someone with that model can comment -- the fan comes on around 4 bars? On 07+, we have the temperature itself, and my fan comes on at 212 F.