Help me find a trailer like this

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
After seeing greg's thread about his new "funday" bike, what stuck out to me is the trailer he has. He says it's the Erde PM310...a single-bike, small folding trailer. I love it and it's something I could really use, but Erde doesn't have a distributor in the US, so I'm turning to the forum to give me some suggestions for another single-bike trailer similar to his.

Here's the one he's got (hat tip to greg for the picture of his bike on the trailer and I included a smaller stock photo of the same trailer)...

2870d39c.jpg

f4570add.jpg

I've already got a small Harbor Freight trailer that I've used to tow my bike to Deal's Gap, but it's really overkill for my needs. I don't need a full deck and it's a lot of wasted space and weight. Keep in mind that I've got a Toyota Echo...yes, a small, 4-door, 105 hp car, so weight is a big deal. I've towed my current trailer to the Gap once and it did just fine, but it does worry me that the trailer will put excessive wear and tear on the car that I don't want. A smaller, one-bike trailer like this one would be ideal for my application (which is primarily towing my bike to Deal's Gap twice a year).

Any suggestions on another brand that's like this Erde trailer and available in the US for about the same price (greg's trailer's MSRP is around $750)?

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
hmmmm my friend uses a single one almost like that to tow his bike with his honda civic hatch. If i see him this weekend i will ask him where he got it. Its designed for cars.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
Gees pricy stuff.

For a fraction of that but a used three rail trailer off craigs list and make it fit your needs. :thumbup: You can always remove rails and cut it down if needed.

Marc

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
hmmmm my friend uses a single one almost like that to tow his bike with his honda civic hatch. If i see him this weekend i will ask him where he got it. Its designed for cars.

Thanks, chomorro, I appreciate that. And thanks for the suggestions everyone. It amazes me how expensive trailers can be!

I'll give some of these a look and see if I can't find any other options too.

soupflakes

Reaction score
Visit site
Keep in mind that I've got a Toyota Echo...yes, a small, 4-door, 105 hp car, so weight is a big deal.

Dude, not a problem. I've got a little 200,000 mile Focus probly makes less hp than that by now, and I tow and launch a 14 foot 1400 lb jet boat, as well as towing a 2600 pound pop up camper with no problem at all!! That car should handle the hf trailer no problem.

I've got the 8x4 harbor freight trailer for pulling my bike. I Keep moving to different states when I get different internships and have to bring my bike of course!! My little car barely feels it on the back, and I've got a truck bed toolbox filled with tools mounted on the tounge of the trailer as welL! I would say just stick with the hf trailer, I've already probably got 10k on my trailer if not more. Plus, the trailer comes in handy for other stuff as well. A single rail motorcycle trailer doesn't.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude, not a problem. I've got a little 200,000 mile Focus probly makes less hp than that by now, and I tow and launch a 14 foot 1400 lb jet boat, as well as towing a 2600 pound pop up camper with no problem at all!! That car should handle the hf trailer no problem.

I've got the 8x4 harbor freight trailer for pulling my bike. I Keep moving to different states when I get different internships and have to bring my bike of course!! My little car barely feels it on the back, and I've got a truck bed toolbox filled with tools mounted on the tounge of the trailer as welL! I would say just stick with the hf trailer, I've already probably got 10k on my trailer if not more. Plus, the trailer comes in handy for other stuff as well. A single rail motorcycle trailer doesn't.

OK, now this makes me feel a lot better about sticking with the HF trailer. LOL. Out of curiosity, soupflakes, what do you have as the floor on your trailer? I bought mine from a co-worker as he was refurbishing it to sell it, and he had just put a piece of 1/2 inch plywood on there. It's worked fine so far, but he didn't seal it or paint it, so the elements are starting to weaken it. I'd been thinking about putting a new floor on it, but I don't know what to go with.

Some people have suggested a piece of pressure-treated plywood and paint it to seal it. Another idea was having a piece of steel mesh welded on as the floor. But honestly, I don't know what the best idea is.

Any direction on the idea of a new floor on the HF trailer?

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Expanded metal on the bottom would be sturdy but wood you could bolt stuff down to it.

My trailer has an expanded metal floor and it helps when loading the bike on my own, I take it up the ramp in first gear walking next to it, stall it against the front wheel chock then just put the stand down and strap it up.

A solid floor would prevent crud being thrown up from the road but increases the weight.

DSC00163800x600.jpg

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1.25" marine grade plywood floor for the HF trailer. But before putting it on, coat all sides with the epoxy paint and when doing the top surface, add the sand to the paint for traction. on the underside, recess four holes in the corners to match up with the HF corner bolts. This allows the corners of the plywood to lay flush on the frame. Bolt on the HF Haulmaster wheel chock and 4 D-rings... done! BTW, mount all the D-Rings in a way where the tie-downs, front and rear, all pull the bike forward into the wheel chock.

-Eric

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Take it from someone who has built over a dozen trailers, go with expanded metal, or the large expanded metal that is actually called grating. Wood will only last so long and adds a lot of weight. The metal would be way stronger and have tons more options for tie down points, especially if you go with the grating.

And keeping in mind you will be pulling it with a Toyota echo you want to save as much weight as possible to save your cars tranny

Last edited:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
1.25" marine grade plywood floor for the HF trailer. But before putting it on, coat all sides with the epoxy paint and when doing the top surface, add the sand to the paint for traction. on the underside, recess four holes in the corners to match up with the HF corner bolts. This allows the corners of the plywood to lay flush on the frame. Bolt on the HF Haulmaster wheel chock and 4 D-rings... done! BTW, mount all the D-Rings in a way where the tie-downs, front and rear, all pull the bike forward into the wheel chock.

-Eric

Thanks for that info, Eric. I'll snap a picture of my current setup here in a second and post it so you can see how it's set up now (pretty close to what you described).

Take it from someone who has built over a dozen trailers, go with expanded metal, or the large expanded metal that is actually called grating. Wood will only last so long and adds a lot of weight. The metal would be way stronger and have tons more options for tie down points, especially if you go with the grating.

And keeping in mind you will be pulling it with a Toyota echo you want to save as much weight as possible to save your cars tranny

Hmm...this, along with Andz's picture, sounds like exactly what I'd like to do. You probably would know this off the top of you head...first, where would I go to get the expanded metal and second, what kind of cost am I looking at? I've got a friend here at work that is a welder, so he could actually attach the expanded metal to the trailer, no problem. Thanks, man! One other thing I failed to mention, my car is a 5-speed (manual), so I don't have to worry about the wear on the tranny nearly as much as an automatic. :thumbup:

My trailer has an expanded metal floor and it helps when loading the bike on my own, I take it up the ramp in first gear walking next to it, stall it against the front wheel chock then just put the stand down and strap it up.

A solid floor would prevent crud being thrown up from the road but increases the weight.

DSC00163800x600.jpg

Andz, that's almost identical to my trailer (obviously minus the floor). That's exactly what I'd like to do to mine. I like the idea of the weight savings, too! Thanks!

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for that info, Eric. I'll snap a picture of my current setup here in a second and post it so you can see how it's set up now (pretty close to what you described).

Hmm...this, along with Andz's picture, sounds like exactly what I'd like to do. You probably would know this off the top of you head...first, where would I go to get the expanded metal and second, what kind of cost am I looking at? I've got a friend here at work that is a welder, so he could actually attach the expanded metal to the trailer, no problem. Thanks, man! One other thing I failed to mention, my car is a 5-speed (manual), so I don't have to worry about the wear on the tranny nearly as much as an automatic. :thumbup:

Andz, that's almost identical to my trailer (obviously minus the floor). That's exactly what I'd like to do to mine. I like the idea of the weight savings, too! Thanks!

I'd personally start out looking at McMaster Carr (McMaster.com). It'll give you an idea of pricing without having to do any running around. Lowes and Home Depoy usually have expanded metal, but it's usually small sheets that I've seen.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a local supplier to get my stuff call IMS formally Georgia Steel, but you could also get it from McMaster-Carr as mentioned above. As far as prices go, it all depends on thickness, material, and size. 4x8 sheets can range from $50 up to $400 depending on what you want

Jmnielsen

Reaction score
Visit site
It would definitely be cheaper getting it from a local steel supplier. Last time I got some it was 35 bucks for a 50"X30" piece.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, guys. I'll check with my buddy that can weld that I mentioned earlier. I'm sure he'll know where to find the best prices and exactly what I need. I've gotta get moving on this...I'm heading to Deal's Gap in a little over a month...lol. :thumbup:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My trailer weighs around 150kg with the spare wheel, jockey wheel and ramp. With my Fazer on it my 320d doesn't feel it, I cruise all day in 6th gear and still get around 8 liters per 100km fuel consumption.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk