HElP! fz6 or R6s

Shafe716

Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW, I bought my 2004 in 2005 w/ 1,200 miles on it. It was mint and even still had the warning stickers on it.

You realize the R6S is just the old (pre 2005) R6, right? It's a street legal race bike...no getting around that.

nope:surrender:

I am slightly retarded though

fazter6

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode an R6 before getting my FZ6, and wouldn't go back. In comparision:

R6 = too twitchy; FZ6 smoother ride
R6 = too cramped riding position and don't like being bent over; FZ6 = more comfortable
R6 = not enough windscreen for touring; FZ6 = can buy tall windscreen which works great
R6 = not good for traveling; FZ6 = has luggage available

I love both touring and those back road twisties and I LOVE the FZ6 in comparison to the R6. I think that the R6 can get a person into trouble by being too aggressive without any advantages. Good luck.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a 2003 XT 225 and felt exactly the same as you do. The XT was fun off road, but it was sorely lacking hp and torque for the road. I researched the 2008 FZ6 and finally bought a new one in August of 2008. I've put 2,300 miles on my FZ6 since August and have loved every minute of it. The FZ has WAY more power when compared to the XT bike. It's road manners are far better as well.

I can't comment much on the R6S because I simply don't have much experience with them. The FZ6 and R6S share the same exact engine, so hp and torque will be close. The FZ makes it's power lower in the rev range while the R6S makes power at higher rev's The FZ6 will have more of an upright riding style while the R6S will be more "rider forward" similar to a full-on sportbike.

Each bike has it's merits, but for me, the FZ6 won out. The FZ is more comfortable for my long legs, and I don't have to lean over the tank.

Happy shopping!:thumbup:

Last edited:

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the others have this dead-on in terms of riding comparisons between the bikes. I wouldn't try and talk you out of a new bike though since you have at least ridden before. A new FZ6 can be had for the price of a used R6.

I came to the FZ6 from a larger-displacement cruiser. There's NO WAY you're gonna be riding the FZ6 to its potential for a loooong time.

Under 7-8K it's predictable, fun for long trips, and easy to control. Still enough power, but not so much you'll lose your license.

Over 7-8K it's a BEAST.