HELP! Fuel Tank Wires + Tank Vent hoses + Manual that the mechanics use

Soundwave206

Reaction score
twitter.com
HELLO!

I have a huge problem (2005 FZ6)! To make a long story short I need to know which wires go to what socket.

wires.jpg
tank.jpg

There is a red+black and a green+black pair of wires. Then you have a green and a white socket which is right underneath the fuel tank. Which wire goes to what socket? The Service manual that I have does not specify the colors so I'm dead in the water.

Do both vent hoses end up at the same location at the right bottom side of the motorcycle (I need to know where the right vent hose ends up)?

Does anyone have a manual that the mechanics would use in pdf form (detailed schematics and such)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I'm having a terrible day!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 07 manual but the colors aren't quite the same. The fuel pump plug I believe should be on the right side (as the tank sits upright as if you were sitting on it) as the float assembly is on the left side of the pump.

My manual 07 shows red/blue and green/white to the fuel pump. The red/white to the fuel gauge

If you hook up a test light and ground it to the frame, it should light up to the hot wire to the fuel pump for second or two as it primes the fuel rail and will then turn off automatically(when you turn the key on.

I can send you the 07 manual as a pdf if that'll help... Pm me with an e-mail an address...

As for vent lines, they usually exit just ahead of the rear tire, to the SIDE. Make sure their not kinked when you lower the tank..

Good luck

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
HELLO!

I have a huge problem (2005 FZ6)! To make a long story short I need to know which wires go to what socket.

wires.jpg
tank.jpg

There is a red+black and a green+black pair of wires. Then you have a green and a white socket which is right underneath the fuel tank. Which wire goes to what socket? The Service manual that I have does not specify the colors so I'm dead in the water.

Do both vent hoses end up at the same location at the right bottom side of the motorcycle (I need to know where the right vent hose ends up)?

Does anyone have a manual that the mechanics would use in pdf form (detailed schematics and such)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I'm having a terrible day!
I hope this helps a bit. I recently pulled the wires out of my tank and had a mare sorting it out. Good luck with it.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...el-gauge-error-nelly-mechanical-genius-2.html
Nelly

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha!
Thank you Professor Nelly! I did a search and PM'd your link and emailed some other related PDF's last night.... :D

I think he may have it sorted. I think his biggest issue was polarity on the fuel pump but I didn't have info on which plug till I found Professor Nelly's thread! :rockon:

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha!
Thank you Professor Nelly! I did a search and PM'd your link and emailed some other related PDF's last night.... :D

I think he may have it sorted. I think his biggest issue was polarity on the fuel pump but I didn't have info on which plug till I found Professor Nelly's thread! :rockon:

Cliff is the forum's resident electrical guru! :rockon:

guru_nanak.jpg

Soundwave206

Reaction score
twitter.com
I have an 07 manual but the colors aren't quite the same. The fuel pump plug I believe should be on the right side (as the tank sits upright as if you were sitting on it) as the float assembly is on the left side of the pump.

My manual 07 shows red/blue and green/white to the fuel pump. The red/white to the fuel gauge

If you hook up a test light and ground it to the frame, it should light up to the hot wire to the fuel pump for second or two as it primes the fuel rail and will then turn off automatically(when you turn the key on.

I can send you the 07 manual as a pdf if that'll help... Pm me with an e-mail an address...

As for vent lines, they usually exit just ahead of the rear tire, to the SIDE. Make sure their not kinked when you lower the tank..

Good luck

Thanks a lot TownsendsFJR1300 I will give that a try. Motorgiro sent me a manual already but thank you so much for helping with your input!

Soundwave206

Reaction score
twitter.com

guru_nanak.jpg

YUUUUP, he sure is! Cliff sent me a manual in a matter of seconds :thumbup: combo-ed with Nelly's experience I was able to figured it out! FZ6-FORUM.COM rules!!!!!!! I need to add a signature, my replies look so weak :rolleyes:

Soundwave206

Reaction score
twitter.com
I also wanted to share this page out of the manual for 05-06 FZ6 bikes that confirmed all my doubts! I hope this can help anybody else with similar problems in the future.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

YUUUUP, he sure is! Cliff sent me a manual in a matter of seconds :thumbup: combo-ed with Nelly's experience I was able to figured it out! FZ6-FORUM.COM rules!!!!!!! I need to add a signature, my replies look so weak :rolleyes:

Thank you for your kind words! This is a collective effort of all of the forum members. I do appreciate the picture of me but have since shaved off all the facial hair accept for that little milk dribble spot under my lip and you know that's straight off the teet! :D:cheer::spank:

picture.php

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone know the name of the actual pin connector? I want to find the exact one so I can reuse the socket.

I tried looking it up at RonAyers.com but haven't found it yet. I'll try Yamaha...

Edit: I went to some Yamaha parts sites and they all seem to have the same window for the microfiche breakdown. They freeze up. The only one that works is the Ron Ayers.com microfiche.

Anyone have a spare FZ6 harness. Looking for the fuel pump/sending unit plugs.

Last edited:

Soundwave206

Reaction score
twitter.com
I tried looking it up at RonAyers.com but haven't found it yet. I'll try Yamaha...

Edit: I went to some Yamaha parts sites and they all seem to have the same window for the microfiche breakdown. They freeze up. The only one that works is the Ron Ayers.com microfiche.

Anyone have a spare FZ6 harness. Looking for the fuel pump/sending unit plugs.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

would be nice if I could get a used wire harness... alleged oem number is "Wire harness assy" 1221194 and it would cost $415 which is waaaaaaay too much for me + I don't want to get an entire fz6 harness. I am baffled and discouraged at the same time. All I wanted to do is change my battery and it turned out to be a nightmare!

Soundwave206

Reaction score
twitter.com
The fail-saga continues :( After putting everything back together the fuel indicator is blinking 8 times. What does this mean?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The fail-saga continues :( After putting everything back together the fuel indicator is blinking 8 times. What does this mean?

Probably means you have a wide open or close signal from the fuel level sending unit. I have to hit the sack and get up for a ride tomorrow so I can't hit the books on the this till tomorrow. Unplug the sensor does it flash 8 times? if so it open if not it's probably shorted closed. I you've had it out of the tank it can be trick to get back in with out. You should be able to search this..:D

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi mate,
here is the reason for the flashing fuel gauge X 8 times.
This fuel meter is equipped with a self-diagnosis system. If a problem is detected in the electrical circut, the following cycle will be repeated untill the malfunction is corrected: "E" (Empty), "F" (Full) and [gas symbol] will flash 8 times, then go off for approxmatly 3 seconds. If this occurs, have a Yamaha deal..... Bla Bla Bla...
Kinda a neat feature, i just happend to read about it in the manual today while looking for chain tension information. (Getting ready to do 600 mile service myself )

~Jason

Thanks in advance
Nelly

I had the problem in this thread:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...fuel-gauge-error-nelly-mechanical-genius.html

This is how I fixed it:
I went back to it this morning with a fresh head.
I pulled the connections off the white fuel level sensor plug as there was no current going through the side that I thought I had crimped.

I soldered a piece of wire and pushed it through the sensor and then connected it back up to the harness.
Bingo no more flashing fuel gauge, fuel pump primes engine all ready to go.....

It sounds like the new harness you have might not have been plugged in properly or the contacts are dirty or there is a break in the harness itself. Check that you get current running down the harness. Or like me you have pulled the connection out of the plug.

Good luck

Nelly