Help! Dead Starter Switch

chihuahuastud

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ has been giving me trouble lately when I go to crank her up. I have been able to wiggle the switch assembly and get it to crank but not tonight. Is the starter switch something that goes bad?

I'm sorry to be so dense here but I do not understand if you mean the ignition switch or the starter button. Both can go bad.
Often if it's the ignition switch itself, (though it can be the adjacent wiring).
If it's in the starter button assembly, (often attributed to weather getting in there and corroding things up), it might be cleaned but probably needs replacing.
The wiring to the button doesn't take as much of the constant bending that the wiring to the ignition does. Good luck.

I'm sorry to be so dense here but I do not understand if you mean the ignition switch or the starter button. Both can go bad.
Often if it's the ignition switch itself, (though it can be the adjacent wiring).
If it's in the starter button assembly, (often attributed to weather getting in there and corroding things up), it might be cleaned but probably needs replacing.
The wiring to the button doesn't take as much of the constant bending that the wiring to the ignition does. Good luck.

sorry, its the starter button assembly. Thanks. I will pull it apart and take a look tomorrow.

sorry, its the starter button assembly. Thanks. I will pull it apart and take a look tomorrow.
Other switches that can't be related to starter engagement:
Side stand safety switch.
Clutch lever safety switch.
Kill switch.

Check wires on on some of these cuz they have spade connectors that can disconnect.

Happy hunting! You'll find it! :rockon:

Back