Help: 2008 FZ6 won't start

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Only thing I did was put a switch on the wire that feeds the headlight mod. I actually tested it yesterday and the light switched off/on. This switch is an illuminated switch (3 wires: to battery, to load, to ground; I only connected the to-battery and to-load and capped off the to-ground wire so it is not illuminated).

This morning bike would not start. You press the starter and bike makes the starting noises but never catches and gets the engine going. The battery should be strong as I put it on the trickle charger until it turned green -- just in case it was just a low battery.

What could this be? I'm wondering if I blew a fuse. But if I did, would I hear anything? -- because I hear the starter cranking. I'm going to pull the tank now.

Thanks,

Dennis

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I would guess a blown fuse, first thing to look at if you've been messing with electrical,
engine can crank but not run if the ignition or fuel injection systems are not powering on

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you reconnect wires to the fuel tank? One of which is the fuel pump. During ignition power on, you should hear the fuel pump power up and pressurize the system. Unfortunately I cannot remember if the connectors could be inadvertently swapped, or which connects to which.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Problems solved.

Seems yesterday, when I tried my switch, I turned on the bike, flicked the switch a few times to ensure it works and then shut the bike off -- this took maybe 5 seconds tops (i.e., the bike ran for about 5 seconds).

Today, bike wouldn't start. I figured out where the fuses were -- all were good. I lifted the tank and found the main fuse -- doesn't look easy to check those so I didn't. Plus I figured if I blew the main fuse, I'd notice worse problems. I also looked to see if I could've pulled any connectors; didn't look like any were disconnected but I pressed on them just in case.

Went for a ride on the Vstar to think.

Came back and figured my problem sounded like the same symptom when I flooded the engine on my Vstar and actually had to twist the throttle to get it started; but on my Vstar, it didn't take that long.

So, I crank the FZ6, and twist the throttle and it started for 1 second and then shutdown. I then saw a puff of white smoke out the back (and thought on my car, if you start it and stop it quickly, you get that infamous puff of white smoke; this car is a flat 6 and this symptom is somewhat common -- esp. for folks who start the car, back it up, wash it, start again, put in garage). Now I have an idea, ... I get the bike out of the garage and try again ; I crank it and rev it all the way and it starts!

I'm guessing, I flooded the engine by starting the bike for seconds and then shutting it off. I'm glad I had to deal with a flooded engine before and the solution worked. Woo hoo :rockon:

So the good news is I now know where the fuses are and solved another mystery (engineer types live for this type of thing :D). I also learned that I should not just turn the engine on for such a short time.

I took the bike out for a nice highway ride to ensure it was ok.

Dennis

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I would guess a blown fuse, first thing to look at if you've been messing with electrical,
engine can crank but not run if the ignition or fuel injection systems are not powering on

First thing I suspected. The ignition and FI system fuses were ok. Also, I could hear the fuel pump on turning the key to on.

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you reconnect wires to the fuel tank? One of which is the fuel pump. During ignition power on, you should hear the fuel pump power up and pressurize the system. Unfortunately I cannot remember if the connectors could be inadvertently swapped, or which connects to which.

I didn't lift the fuel tank to add in my headlight mod switch. However, I did get at the tank to confirm I had fuel lines still connected -- I even checked the obvious (i.e., that I had fuel). I certainly heard the pressurizing sound upon key set to on.

Thanks,

Dennis

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
This happened to me a week ago after I changed the oil. I had let it idle for 5 minutes or so, shut it off, changed the oil then started it again for a few seconds to run the oil through so I could get a correct read on the level. Next morning it wouldn't start, just kept cranking. Twisted the throttle while cranking it and it eventually sputtered to life. I was really worried considering I was going on a 500 mile trip to AR that day but I haven't had any problems since. I guess if you're going to start it when it's cold, you need to let it run for a while?

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing.

It kinda sucks we have to deal with stuff like this -- what happened to bike technology? anyway, good to know others have had it and the fix is easy -- keep cranking with throttle and it will come back.

When I first noticed my issue, I thought (and was worried) my battery was drained because I had my GPS plugged in all night (never had the issue before). Luckily it wasn't a battery issue. I think if it were a battery issue, that would've caused me more worry.

Dennis

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah, been thinking about this and I can't recall any FI vehicles I've owned that
could be flooded, strange one, but certainly sounds like that was the problem