Helmets

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have used HJC (my favourite brand for comfort and fit) AGV K series, never got on with it.
And have now switched to Caberg:

I was never a fan of the multipurpose flip up lids until I recently saw Cloggys.
My . negatives were based around the following:

I thought they looked a bit old man'ish (sorry Cloggy)
Multi purpose lids generally don't crash as well.
They can be a bit heavy.
Not many are ACU gold rated.

Yesterday I got a brand new (worn twice) helmet from a nice lady rider at a bargain £50.00. Driving to work this winter has be making me crazy trying to find the best balance of visor open to stop my glasses fogging up.
Alas to no avail. Then coming home, the low setting sun on the horizon has been causing me all manner of visual awareness problems.
I decided to take the plunge.
The specification for the lid are:

Very similar in style to the amazing V2 Race helmet only this version has a flip-up front piece. This means that the helmet can be in one of four styles:

Chin Piece Down - Inner Visor Up
Chin Piece Down - Inner Visor Down
Chin Piece Up - Inner Visor Up
Chin Piece Up - Inner Visor Down
And that doesn't even take into account all the possibilities with outer visor either being up or down, the additional images below should help explain this.

Specifications:

• Double anti-turbulance nape shield
• Double Visor Tech
• Flip Front Piece
• Movable stop wind
• Rain protection rims
• Scratch resistance visor
• Sanitized lining
• CoolMax lining
• Under varnish decoration
• Quick release strap
• Painted helmet
• Internal air circulation
• Removable Coolmax lining
• Quick release visor
• Removable nose shield
• European approval : ECE22.05
• Weight : approx. 1.7kg

Some of the reviews I have read mention that there is a higher level of wind noise. I wear plugs so did not notice this to be a problem. The internal padding is designed to have an intercom speaker fitted and will easily accommodate thoes of you who wear I-pods.
It weighs about 250g more than my HJC but I did not notice any undue neck ache. The design may make this problem less of an issue.
The visor is easy to open with one hand and has a good ratchet system.
The integral dark visor is also easy to operate with your left hand whilst on the move. [edit, the manual does not endorse this action.]

All in all I am very happy with my new lid and look forward to seeing how it performs throughout the rest of the winter.

Nelly

SHARP - The Helmet Safety Scheme

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I robbed the link from Grommit, so all credit to him.
Spend a few minutes looking at the various brands and how some of the better ones only make 3 or 4 stars. In my mind I don't care what the brand is I want 5 star protection.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/search/r...manufacturer=0&type=0&rating=0&size=0&price=0

Schuberth S1 Pro Full face XS-XXXL £400 score 2 stars, not great for your £400 investment
Shoei XR-1000 Full face XS-XL £330 3 stars
Arai Viper GT Full face XS-XXL £330 3 Stars

Airoh Speed Fire Full face XS-XL £50 4 stars

Nelly

Last edited:

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I personally wear a Nolan n102 in cayman blue. It is a modular, I like the modulars because I wear glasses and it allows me to put my helmet on and take it off without taking my glasses off plus i can go into a store etc without taking my helmet off and not look like a noob..... Plus it has the half sun visor!:thumbup:
n102_metallic_cayman_blue.jpg

vdbergj1

Manna
Reaction score
Visit site
Shoei, Arai, Suomy 's are great but I love my Shark. I need to buy 2 at once. Xtra one for the GF - now my wife, BH. Shark is a very popular helmet in South Africa. I paid R4500 (South African Rand) each (± $461)
We've got the Shark RSF3 Black Smoke - love them!

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
SHARP has received some knocks from various magazines (those with adverts for the big name lids :rolleyes:), but as it stands it is the only independent test of a helmet. I think they should be applauded for this. :thumbup:

Although I think it needs more promotion, or a requirement in the UK to have the rating on the lid.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The best helmet is a safety rated helmet that FITS properly. Don't limit your choices to a brand and buy because of the name. Try them all out. You do get what you pay for thus a well known brand with a hefty price tag likely has more features, is lighter, better visor, better materials and will last a lot longer.... BUT, if it doesn't fit your pumpkin correctly, it's not worth any amount of money you throw at it.

I tried on HJC, Arai, Shoei, Shuberth, Nolan, Bell, Z1R, and Suomy. After all the options were weighed, the Shoei RF-1000 was the best fit with the best features I required to put the money forward.

I cannot tell anyone it is the best for them though, I'm sure everyone's head is very different than mine. :D

Look long and hard because it is an important decision and can be a lot of money!

Dynamo750

Reaction score
Visit site
I have 2 arias now an older astro race and a new chaser

The astro gets 3 stars from SHARP but the chaser has not been tested yet

I bought the first aria because it was reduced and I liked the kevin shwantz design and bought the second when i dropped the first and sent it off to aria to be tested

I would buy an aria agian as they are very comfortable to the point you could wear it all day if u did not have to eat

Also the amount of money Aria spend on development they have to know what they are talking about when they say the Sharp tests are flawed

But there is talk of insurance companies here in the UK insisting starting to insist you wear a 5 star helmet or they wont insure you

MCN did some helmet tests a couple of years ago and some of the cheap helmets that got 5 stars the strap broke too easily so how can they get high marks from SHARP?. If the helmet is not on your head its of no use

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with FZsex - Buy one that is SNELL approved. Then it is a just a matter of style, fit, and price.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Has been said a couple of times, but get one that is Snell Approved. Just remember, you only have 1 head, damaged that, and life can get pretty miserable.

After Snell, make sure it fits properly... most important!!!
Then go for what you like in looks after you've found the best fitting helmet.

Me... I use a Shark RSF-2-Race. I've had it for over 3 years (~20,000 Km), and it's only just starting to show some signs of wearing out.. a few small cracks in the leather around the back of the neck padding.
The thing fit's like a glove, has the correct safety approvals (a bit different here in Oz.. more strict), is very very comfortable. The only down-side is, there is a bit of wind noise, and if you get a cross-wind, sometimes you get a bit of a whistle from the vents on top.

The best part of the helmet is the Visor changing system. A push of a button on each side and it pops off for easy change-over... which is handy for me, I work night shift, so ride to work in the dark with the clear visor, then ride home in the glaring sunlight with the dark visor.

But, I stress again, helmets are there to protect your 1 and only head, make sure it's safe and fits properly.

Good luck with the shopping adventure.

:)