Helmet Noise

Jim V

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently bought my FZ6, I really like the bike. I hadn't ridden in about 10 years and the bikes I had in the past I used for commuting so I had very tall windshields, as a consequence got very little turbulence around the helmet. My fz6 is an 05 and it would appear that there is nothing available in terms of a much taller windshield. The real question is this... I bought a "convertible" scorpion helmet, meaning you can wear as a full face, or open faced and yes it's sized correctly, fits nice and snug. It was not a cheap helmet and by all indications well made. In either configuration the noise in the helmet is deafening, even with the sponge type earplugs. I really like the bike but the noise is so bothersome it takes away from the fun factor. Did I just buy the wrong helmet or is this normal??

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently bought my FZ6, I really like the bike. I hadn't ridden in about 10 years and the bikes I had in the past I used for commuting so I had very tall windshields, as a consequence got very little turbulence around the helmet. My fz6 is an 05 and it would appear that there is nothing available in terms of a much taller windshield. The real question is this... I bought a "convertible" scorpion helmet, meaning you can wear as a full face, or open faced and yes it's sized correctly, fits nice and snug. It was not a cheap helmet and by all indications well made. In either configuration the noise in the helmet is deafening, even with the sponge type earplugs. I really like the bike but the noise is so bothersome it takes away from the fun factor. Did I just buy the wrong helmet or is this normal??

I am 6'3 i had the same problem started using noise canceling earbuds with musicm makes the ride more enjoyable 55 miles each way to work:p, but i just picked up a Puig double bubble windscreen and it puts the air over my shoulders not under my chin and into my ear drums i suggest that it also looks stylish you can get in many colors i also have a scorpion (EXO-1100) but the stock windshield on the 07 seems like it directed the air right under my helmet making it uncomfortable and loud.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Search on youtube on how to use foam earplugs, it "sounds" lol like you are not using them correctly. you have to roll them up very small and insert them in your ear then hold them there so they expand. when used properly you are virtually deaf lol.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is the kind I have used for the past 3 years, and they work well for me compared to the foam ones. :thumbup:

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
The day I got my 2007 I had a 20 minute interstate drive to get home. My ears were pounding and actually hurt for a couple days afterwards. I have taken to use the type of plugs that Lefty has posted above and I think they work very well. Bummer about the larger screens not being available for the '05 models, maybe there is a chance that there is still a screen out there that will fit?

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
I have this issue as well. I got the silicon macks ear plugs and I like them.
The noise comes from the crap windscreen. I will most likely naked my bike when I have the time to get parts.

SteveH41

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently took to wearing earplugs, have used them for years at work, was quite a strange feeling to start with as I was so used to the sound of the engine at low speed but then discovered the type of earplugs I had been using were a bit too good at noise suppression.

Moved over to a slightly less dense plug and although the wind noise is back very slightly at high speed in general the plugs work really well and you don't return home with a high pitched whine in your ears (that comes later when the wife moans about how long you had been out :) )

Can't remember the exact model i'm using but will check later and post the type if required.

Steve.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i wear custom made silicone earplugs. I can still hear stuff, but it stops the wind induced tinnitus.

There's more wind noise with my fly screen than without, as it directs some of the wind towards my helmet. Also noticed my new helmet is a little bit noisier than my old one (but that did have some duct tape over the air vents).

One tip I was told was to block all the airholes inside your helmet with earplugs, though this isn't very useful if it's hot out.

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like some of the guys on here already realize this but for those who don't.......earplugs have ratings based on noise reduction....NRRdB...higher the number the more reduction......the highest you can buy is around 33.....but if they don't fit/aren't worn properly they aren't as effective (goes without saying - so why did I say it?)

crowelor

Reaction score
Visit site
I also wear that Scorpion helmet and with the stock screen(on an '08) I don't think it's too bad. I think a lot of it has to do with how tall you are because that affects what kind of wind stream your helmet sits in.

I know it doesn't help you, but I was shopping for an '07+ for several reasons and the lack of tall windshield options on earlier models was one of them.

I have started wearing earplugs also to reduce the noise that is there. I picked these: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-Hearing-Protection-MusicSafe-Classic/dp/B0032BYCWG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342105229&sr=8-1&keywords=alpine+ear+plugs]Amazon.com: Alpine Hearing Protection MusicSafe Classic Earplugs for Musicians: Musical Instruments[/ame]

I chose them because they are a bit shorter than others so they don't get knocked out when I put the helmet on. They don't have as much attenuation as foam or some other plugs, but I like them and think they do a great job at reducing wind noise while still letting me hear traffic noises.

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
i don't use earplugs when i ride and while i do hear a lot of wind noise (sometimes sounds like a low whistle), it never has been really bothersome. maybe i've already done too much damage to my ears. :rolleyes:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
When I got my bike, I was annoyed with the stock screen (which was cut down an inch or two by the PO to alleviate the issue). I got a Puig DB and like it. Still loud at highway speeds, but not unbearable.

With SO many options for the second gen (Cee Baily, MadStad, Puig, Yamaha touring, etc), I find it hard to believe there aren't many options with an '05.

Take the screen off completely - just takes a minute. I tried it, and the wind was like butter... and butter is awesome.

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
I have Scorpion EX700 helmet and O'Neal Fastrack with Bluetooth. They are both very noisy.

On my last 1440 miles trip (http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/45277-trip-toronto-sarasota-fl-2-days.html) I had plenty of time for 2 days to listen to unbearable wind noise! It is tiring and bothersome. I am long past notions of good looks, all cool colors. Now it's all about practical values. Low helmet noise is on top of my list.

I decided to do something about it and best solution I came up with is to get Schubert helmet which ones are tested and proved to be quietest in the world! :D

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I have Scorpion EX700 helmet and O'Neal Fastrack with Bluetooth. They are both very noisy.

On my last 1440 miles trip (http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/45277-trip-toronto-sarasota-fl-2-days.html) I had plenty of time for 2 days to listen to unbearable wind noise! It is tiring and bothersome. I am long past notions of good looks, all cool colors. Now it's all about practical values. Low helmet noise is on top of my list.

I decided to do something about it and best solution I came up with is to get Schubert helmet which ones are tested and proved to be quietest in the world! :D

My 09 ZX6 is a much quieter bike, for wind noise. If I could afford a Schuberth, I would likely buy one..... if I had the FZ still, I would seriously have to have thought of going naked to get rid of the wind noise by this point. It's that annoying.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It doesn't bother me in the least, I wear foam 29db ear plugs properly and have no issues at all.

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
My 09 ZX6 is a much quieter bike, for wind noise. If I could afford a Schuberth, I would likely buy one..... if I had the FZ still, I would seriously have to have thought of going naked to get rid of the wind noise by this point. It's that annoying.

I must admit I don't really understand this. Wind noise has almost nothing to do with a type of bike. Maybe cruiser with full upright windshield would get less wind in the face but all other bikes even with no or bigger windshield your head is way above that line where you can hide behind it!

FZ6 with stock exhaust is not loud bike at all (thank you Yamaha!). I tested it hundreds of times. Engine noise is the least of the noise problems. At 80-90 kph (60 mph) and up engine sound is almost not there any more. I was driving for hours at speeds of about 70-80 mph at about 6300 RPM and my ears were full of wind noise and buffeting, nothing coming from engine. Who doesn't believe me just try. You can try same with sunglasses, no helmet and result is the same. :(