Helmet kills my forehead!

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you are taking pain killers as a result of a helmet, you are doing something seriously wrong. That said, when I was shopping for a helmet I spent hours trying on different ones and finally ended up with the first one I tried... odd. There are so many different shapes of helmets out there - but once you find the one that fits it is worth the effort BIG TIME.

If your helmet is causing you pain you haven't found the one that fits - keep looking. my 2c.

I take them only after long long rides.. i have a scorpion ex-400 and found that with eh stock screen after long rides, my head would be pounding.. but its really from the wind blast of the windscreen right into my helemt.. honestly i havent taken any yet this year for that problem.. i asume your head gets used to the exra preasure after a while...

thethendi

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny...I had just posted the same thing regarding my helmet (Exo-700) in another thread.

Walking around with the helmet is fine, and on very short rides, I have no problems or discomfort at all. When I get onto the highway and I'm riding for a while though, I start to feel a small pressure just above my eyebrows where the padding hits.

Thanks for the Arai Profile suggestion.

S

sm00thpapa

I have a Hawk helmet from Leather up and wore it for 8 hours straight and it felt fine. No hot spots and it was so comfortable. I even forgot that I had it on cause I was so into riding the bike.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny...I had just posted the same thing regarding my helmet (Exo-700) in another thread.

Walking around with the helmet is fine, and on very short rides, I have no problems or discomfort at all. When I get onto the highway and I'm riding for a while though, I start to feel a small pressure just above my eyebrows where the padding hits.

Thanks for the Arai Profile suggestion.

yup.. thats right where i get red marks from the helmet pushing against my head in.. well.. anything above 70mph.. really sucks, but hopefully a new helmet and a puig screen will sold those problems...

playbygolf

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Scorpion EXO-700. I have the same problem with longer rides. I found that the liner in the helmet has a stitch/seam right across the forhead that seems to be the culprit when pressure from higher wind resistance hits the front of the helmet for a long period of time. My solution was to dremel part of the foam right under that seam. It definitely helps but is by no means a permanent solution. Disposable income prevents me front upgrading/ getting another helmet - i got an oval shape head, btw. I'm thinking Scorpion's aren't meant for us...

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
While expensive, Arai's have benefit of number of different shaped shells. I found out Arai's fit me best over 20 years ago (uh.. oh, showing my age. :)) As many here said if you can find a dealer around where you live who actually "knows" anything about Arai helmets (sadly, not all of them know eventhough they sell it), try couple of different kinds on and walk around a bit while looking at other stuff on the shop. I would also spread out this "looking" over several days if you can because after you try on couple, you can't tell if what you have is good or bad because your head hurts from the one you previously tried.

While they are good, Arai's do have few bad traits when it comes to way their shields are put on there. So, if you decide to go with one, I would pick one with a shield that you will be using all the time and not think about changing them all the time depending on when you are riding.

maiigh

Reaction score
Visit site
Rick, I have the exact same problem, a long oval, 26" diameter. After loooooong searching, I found an advance sample model of the AFX FX-Magnus helmet that is coming on the market July 2009. it fits me perfectly

Mike, a former cheesehead with a big head in California