Hello and Saddlebags!

kylez6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone!

I just picked up a 2006 Fz6 (the red one). Well taken care of and never dropped. Besides doing some maintenance I would just like to get it more tour friendly. So I just wanted to introduce myself. I just graduated with a degree in chemistry and am working in the pharma industry. Finally can afford some good gear and other stuff for my bike.

Soooo I was just thinking about picking up some saddlebags for 60$ locally. They are the cortech ones and look terribly useful. My only concern is that awesome undertail exhaust burning them. I did notice that after a long ride the heat shields on it didn't get that hot however its only around 40 F here.

Any experience with these? Or just get a tail or tank bag?

Thanks!

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
If you've got a stock exhaust, the shroud is plastic and lined with insulation. You probably don't want to fill your bags with chocolate bars and go for a long ride, but you're not going to melt the bags. :D

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
do a search on here for "saddlebag supports", there's a ton of DIY ideas to keep them away from the tires and muffler. The cheapest/easiest is probably to just take a 8-12" length piece of PVC pipe and fit it over your passenger footpegs while folded back. I forget which pipe size exactly, I think it might be 3/4" for 04-06, and 1" for 07-09.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You wont have to worry about the bags melting. As mentioned you can use supports, but that may be unnecessary as well depending on the bags.

kylez6

Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbup:

Thanks! Ive read up on the cortech ones and seems like they stay in place pretty well. Now I just need to decide... ride out to pick them up? or drive out? Are they a pain to get on? I guess it would be easy to ride out, throw them on, and see.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Just more reassurance for you that the saddlebags will not melt even when mounted tightly against the exhaust shroud. The actual exhaust is underneath the shroud, so the part you see and can touch doesn't get that hot.

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
I took my bike from michigan to colorado and back last year with my saddlebag setup on there. She handled everything fine. I even had the straps going under my seat and nothing even felt hot to the touch after an entire day on the highway.

Picture for example:
52168_4230090231040_1783022877_o.jpg