HEL Brake Lines

snowmannn

Reaction score
Visit site
I just mounted a set of new steel brake lines by HEL. As with most other brake lines upgrades the front hoses go from the calipers straight to the master cylinder. Do you have any photoes or guidelines for correct routing of the new lines?

So far I'm pretty satisfied with following the route of the old lines as close as possible. The only issues are how to attach the thinner hoses at the bracket that's "inside" the front fairing and also do I have to wrap the hoses in something where they pass through the two plastic brackets on the front mudguard. I thought about wrapping them because it's possible for them to get damaged or cause damage when vibrating in the larger brackets (which used to hold the larger original hoses).

Thank you :)!

W

wrightme43

BG where?

BG KY?

I just used tie straps man. Its worked perfect for lots and lots of miles.

snowmannn

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's me checking the brake hoses routing under front suspension compression. I've recorded the "problematic" part of the hoses route - the one right above the front fender. What do you think - does the routing look OK - I'm particularly worried about the curve of the hose between the radiator and the fender?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxIycemkKx4[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OVMsm08EtY[/ame]

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
I put HEL brake lines on mine in January and took lots of pics.

http://bikerhux.blogspot.com/2009/01/putting-brakes-on.html

http://bikerhux.blogspot.com/2009/02/but-ive-stillgot-blues-for-my-bike.html

I didn't use the clip on the front mudguard at all as it doesn't easily work when both lines go straight to the calipers rather than up and over like the stock lines.

The p-clips I got came with rubber bushings so I used one of them on the mount inside the fairing to protect the lines. You should see it in one of the pics.

They do work a treat though!!!!

snowmannn

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, huxy! Good job :)!

My main guidelines during the routing process were:
1) Do not kink the hoses
2) Do not let the hoses rub into anything other than the clamps/brackets used to hold them
3) Make sure that the hoses won't come too short or too long during max compression/decompression of the front fork

I'll take some photos of the whole front route tomorrow morning and will post them here. I'll try without using the clamp on the mudguard as you suggested and will see what happens.

Hope this thread helps other enthusiasts as well :)!

snowmannn

Reaction score
Visit site
Ahaa, I see - so you've run the hoses straight down from the master cylinder. Do they wound around the fork before continuing towards the calipers or they just run along it?

Thanks a lot for the great support (both ideas and photos :))!!

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
They come out of the master cylinder, down to where the original hose clamp was just beside the horn and get pinned in position there with a p-clip, then just under the horn there is a hose clip that keeps them both together side by side. After that they go their separate ways to the p-clips on either side of the calipers and then onto the calipers themselves.

The picture where you can see the horn shows them heading up towards the master cylinder.

snowmannn

Reaction score
Visit site
huxy, your posts were very helpful :thumbup:!

I already started rerouting the hoses in your way. My only issue is going to be finding where to buy the appropriate clamps. I contacted my HEL dealer and I hope he'll find something for me :).

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
Just search for "p-clips" and "hose separators". I got mine from a place called demon-tweeks but I think most bike accessory places sell them. Just make sure you get nice coloured ones to match the bike :rockon:

bugsterkiton

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Snowman,

You will find somes other pics for the routing of your brake lines in my album (mods). I also own a FZ6-S.I fixed the upper part along the forks with plastic T-raps. For the rear line, I attached it with the manufacturer parts.

Regards,
Bugsterkiton

snowmannn

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, bugsterkiton!

I'm still working on mine - I finally found P-clips. I think the problem is they've given me longer brake lines than necessary... Do you remember if your front lines are as long as the original front line from the master cylinder to the left caliper? And also are both of your new front lines the same length?

Thank you :)

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
The lines I got are just slightly different in length so the shorter one went from the master cylinder to the right hand caliper, and the longer one to the left. There's not much in it.If you cable tie them together and route them you can see if they fit properly (last cable tie just below the horn where they have to head their separate ways).

They did seem long but I guess they have to have enough slack for when you slam the anchors on and then the forks rebound.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Quick review an experience with HEL lines: They do appear slightly longer than stock. I am working with Jim now to get an additional rubber grommet. There are two mounting points; one inside the fairing, and one on the fender. The long hose only had one.

Very fast and friendly response! He even offered to make and send me a completely new line. I'm going to just cut and tape the grommet.

If you are ordering a set, you may want to put this in the notes while ordering. The long line needs two grommets.

Last edited: