Heated grips - best method to install

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys. It's getting chilly now and I now want to install the Oxford heated grips I have.

I want to do this right and tap into a wire that is only live when the ignition is on. Would the lighting circuit take the load? Also any pics of the control box fitting location would be appreciated :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys. It's getting chilly now and I now want to install the Oxford heated grips I have.

I want to do this right and tap into a wire that is only live when the ignition is on. Would the lighting circuit take the load? Also any pics of the control box fitting location would be appreciated :)

I wouldn't tie into the headlamp circuit. Use a power relay that is active when the key is on. The relay will power your accessories direct from the battery and be active only when the key is on. This insures any device on that circuit is off when you leave the bike.

You can run your grips directly off the battery but if you leave the grips on you'll run your battery flat pretty fast.

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
I installed a relay onto the headlight circuit, hidden under the left hand side rear plastic panel with the wires running the length of the bike to the grips. Works a treat!:thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I installed a relay onto the headlight circuit, hidden under the left hand side rear plastic panel with the wires running the length of the bike to the grips. Works a treat!:thumbup:

To use for powering heater grips?!?!:eek: Or are you talking about triggering the relay coil from the headlamp circuit?

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't tie into the headlamp circuit. Use a power relay that is active when the key is on. The relay will power your accessories direct from the battery and be active only when the key is on. This insures any device on that circuit is off when you leave the bike.

You can run your grips directly off the battery but if you leave the grips on you'll run your battery flat pretty fast.

I'll just add that Cliff sells this relay kit that he is speaking of -- I have his headlight one and the work is top notch, would highly reccommend talking to him more about it.

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
To use for powering heater grips?!?!:eek: Or are you talking about triggering the relay coil from the headlamp circuit?

Sorry. Yes - Power direct from Battery, but relay from the lighting circuit.

My first season I hardwired them, but Oxford's "automatic cutoff" is a farce! Doesn't work.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry. Yes - Power direct from Battery, but relay from the lighting circuit.

My first season I hardwired them, but Oxford's "automatic cutoff" is a farce! Doesn't work.

Cool. If you use the low beam circuit(to trigger relay) and the low beam is set up to turn off when the high beam is active the relay will interrupt power when you hit the high beam so use your running light circuit or.....
You can also tap into the red with a white tracer wire at the starter interrupt relay. That relay sits on top of your battery on the FZ6 and is easy to get to. You will need to pull back the shield to see this wire. It has power with key on. :D

Edit: I meant to post up a pic of the starter interrupt relay and forgot...Here it is.. :D

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What control box? I'll assume you're talking about the controller for the grips?
What are the dimensions?

apj

Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't got any pics unfortunately however I mounted mine onto the plastic battery cover. There's just enough room next to the positive terminal to stick it on using one of the adhesive pads they come with. :thumbup:

That's also where I stored all the excess wiring - it's a real mess up under there! One of the unfortunate realities of having a FZ6N.