Headphones/Earplugs

Sdotterer014

Reaction score
Visit site
I currently use noise-cancelling headphones when riding far distances at high speeds to protect my ears from wind noise. I've read other threads and agree with most people who think they're a pain because they fall out and shift easily. I came across these and was wondering if anybody has any experience with them or anything like them.

Orange Foam Earplug Earphones - Plugfones Foam Style

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I currently use noise-cancelling headphones when riding far distances at high speeds to protect my ears from wind noise. I've read other threads and agree with most people who think they're a pain because they fall out and shift easily. I came across these and was wondering if anybody has any experience with them or anything like them.

Orange Foam Earplug Earphones - Plugfones Foam Style

Interesting find as I think its less than wise to use conventional ear buds for music to overcome wind noise. It's likely to ONLY DAMAGE your hearing more by turning it up louder than the noise you want stopped!!! :don'tknow:

^^ This solution seems plausible. For $15 its no more than basic buds so try it and report back!

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Another option are Comply foam tips that are made for a variety of headphones.

The long tips I use with my Etymotic Er6i block as much noise as regular orange 33db earplugs

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Scosche IDR305MD

i use these buds and they don't fall out they REALLLLLLLLY reduce wind noise and my volume is on the 2nd lowest on my iphone, it is all about the fit once it seals your ear drum from the wind its very quite inside my shoe qwest.

i don't see the negative of a good pair of buds with low volume and reduced noise for 15$ its worth it to me..... you have to try things to find what works for you reviews only get you so far.:rockon:

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
I am going to be trying these:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-M6-BK-MEE-Noise-Isolating-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0038W0K2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370905028&sr=8-1&keywords=mee+headphone]Amazon.com: MEElectronics M6-BK-MEE Sport Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones with Memory Wire (Black): Electronics[/ame]

I have the version without the ear loop and for the price they are really great quality.

Chaotic29

Reaction score
Visit site
My skull candy earphones work great in my helmet and dont fall out. i just have to reach in the helmet when first sliding it on to press them in securely and im good for hours. even with the headphones off they act as earplugs because of the "marshmallow" design.

i have cut the wires off an old pair and used them as shooting earplugs before and they worked good:rolleyes:

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I have these and they're perfect. They seal up your ear like a plug, and music or GPS volume stays low.

For what it's worth, I've had two pairs of MEE earphones and I disliked the sound on both of them. One was the M6, other was M11. Both pairs sounded super tinny to me. Others seem to like them though

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
For what it's worth, I've had two pairs of MEE earphones and I disliked the sound on both of them. One was the M6, other was M11. Both pairs sounded super tinny to me. Others seem to like them though

I had the same issue with the M6s until I put the right tips on them and got a seal in my ear canal. Then they sounded great. I ended up using the triple flange tips.

Clay350

Reaction score
Visit site
Guys dont waste your time with noise cancellation stuff. Go get a set of Etymotic earbuds. They are unbelievable for blocking out wind and noise. They sound good to.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What specific helmet to you have? The noise varies between type, brand, and model of helmets too. But obviously not enough to be effective as actual ear plugs or noise cancelling earphones.

Although there are no laws that I'm aware of that make it illegal to use ear plugs, there are specific laws against using earphones. Check with your local laws.

http://msf-usa.org/downloads/Equipment_Chart_2011-MSFlogo.pdf

Last edited:

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Id be curious too how those would work, I love wearing ear plugs...you can feel and hear the engine/bike better IMO.

I didnt like my skull candy with my helmet(Arai Vector2) they caused insanely uncomfortable vibrations. I dont think they had the Comply foam tips though, that might help a ton.

My skull candy earphones work great in my helmet and dont fall out. i just have to reach in the helmet when first sliding it on to press them in securely and im good for hours. even with the headphones off they act as earplugs because of the "marshmallow" design.
how they hell do you fit your hand in your helmet with it on your head? I have medium sized hands and there is no way I could adjust the earbuds with the helmet already on........

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
What specific helmet to you have? The noise varies between type, brand, and model of helmets too. But obviously not enough to be effective as actual ear plugs or noise cancelling earphones.

Although there are no laws that I'm aware of that make it illegal to use ear plugs, there are specific laws against using earphones. Check with your local laws.

http://msf-usa.org/downloads/Equipment_Chart_2011-MSFlogo.pdf

A few states prohibit earplugs - when in both ears. AK, MD, OH according to the below. CA is listed there, but I read they changed that recently.

Headsets | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

Section 21-1120 - Wearing earphones, headsets, etc., prohibited. :: 2010 Maryland Code :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

But custom earplugs are allowed and there are no restrictions on deaf motorists. :confused:

Be that as it may, I keep a stash of Moldex earplugs in my tailbag and use them on all but the shortest rides.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
found some reviews.....look like 20%ish of people complained they randomly stopped working. Highly doubt they have great acoustic properties. ....."Just fired someone for wearing these, he thought that I'd never notice and would be able to get away with it. Hope it was worth it! " haha dont wear them to the job site :BLAA:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Resembles-Silicone-Protection-Headphones-Earphones/product-reviews/B0087IH2JY/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1]Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Orange Audio/music Playing Ear Plugs Resembles Silicone and Foam Hearing Protection, Earbuds/Headphones/Earphones Used for Ipod, Mp3, Iphone[/ame]

for $20 im not really inclined to try them out, if a rider had some glowing reviews maybe. If you already have earplugs id try getting some comply tips first.....either way they will improve your earbuds off the bike.

Plugfones have undergone rigorous testing according to the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) specifications, by EPA approved testing facilities and have received an Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 25 dB giving you the benefit of listening to your music while benefiting from certified hearing loss prevention when used as directed.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A few states prohibit earplugs - when in both ears. AK, MD, OH according to the below. CA is listed there, but I read they changed that recently.

Headsets | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

Section 21-1120 - Wearing earphones, headsets, etc., prohibited. :: 2010 Maryland Code :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

But custom earplugs are allowed and there are no restrictions on deaf motorists. :confused:

Be that as it may, I keep a stash of Moldex earplugs in my tailbag and use them on all but the shortest rides.

I noticed that the diction used was mostly "Driving" and I wonder under the court of law, whether they would consider operating a motorcycle is riding and not driving. You don't drive a motorcycle, you ride a motorcycle.

Sdotterer014

Reaction score
Visit site
found some reviews.....look like 20%ish of people complained they randomly stopped working. Highly doubt they have great acoustic properties. ....."Just fired someone for wearing these, he thought that I'd never notice and would be able to get away with it. Hope it was worth it! " haha dont wear them to the job site :BLAA:

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Orange Audio/music Playing Ear Plugs Resembles Silicone and Foam Hearing Protection, Earbuds/Headphones/Earphones Used for Ipod, Mp3, Iphone

for $20 im not really inclined to try them out, if a rider had some glowing reviews maybe. If you already have earplugs id try getting some comply tips first.....either way they will improve your earbuds off the bike.

I read them reviews as well, that's why I'm somewhat skeptical to try them. All the reviews on the MEElectronic buds with the memory wire look good, I might have to give them a shot, don't really want to break the bank on a pair of earbuds.

thethendi

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got Shure SE215s and use them with foam tips (the Shure "olives"). It uses the same kind of over-the-ear "memory wire" mechanism that the MEElectronics earbuds use. It has no problems staying put underneath my Arai Profile.

I've found that the foam tips provide a nice seal against wind noise at highway speeds, comparable to when I ride with earplugs. I also found that I don't have to turn the volume up past my usual listening levels when I take public transportation (~50-60% of max volume on my phone via Spotify).