headlights

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm doing the dual headlight mod, decided not to go for the xenon's,
but what kind of lights can I use, and should I go for specific bike lights,
or do the regular H4/H7 (that I use in my car) lights work just as well?
The choice for biker lights is pretty limited, I have the philips H7 light now,
with the somewhat orange glow, its nice, but I want brighter white lights :p

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm doing the dual headlight mod, decided not to go for the xenon's,
but what kind of lights can I use, and should I go for specific bike lights,
or do the regular H4/H7 (that I use in my car) lights work just as well?
The choice for biker lights is pretty limited, I have the philips H7 light now,
with the somewhat orange glow, its nice, but I want brighter white lights :p

I did the dual light mod (BD43)and left the stock bulbs in. You don't have to change either bulb out. I think it works fine and am happy with it.

On my KLR (one headlight) I use a PIAA EXTREME WHITE PLUS 60/55 which I currently have over a year and a half on it... The last bulb lasted a year or so. They are advertised anti-vibration (for bikes). Considerably brighter if you want brighter...

Scott

Last edited:

fz6blue

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought some brighter white H4/H7 bulbs from my local Halfords and the dipped beam only bulb (can't remember off the top of my head if thats the H4 or H7) seemed to not have the same connector. The bulb was the same size but the rear of the bulb connector was much shorter - did I pick up the wrong bulb? Does the stock bulb have a larger rear than normal bulbs? Anyway - I didn't seem to be able to push the connector onto that bulb through the rubber foot so I took it back. The full beam side worked fine though and the extra brightness worked great. Pity it only worked for 2 weeks before the silver tip paint started peeling and I was blinding drivers (Replaced once I realised it wasn't my aiming at fault)

*edit -- I should mention that I have the dual headlight mod setup so that the full beam side also does low beam which is why the oncoming drivers were getting blinded.

Last edited:

fz6blue

Reaction score
Visit site
There's a slip on adaptor on the H7, that you have to transfer to the new bulb. That's what makes the new bulb appear shorter.

Ah, now that does make sense. Just out of curiosity - how did you find that out? I didn't even think to see if there was an adaptor!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the PIAA Xtreme White Plus Bulbs, or I think that's what they call it. H4 & H7, they have a blueish tip on the end of the bulb so it gives it a blueish tint when you are looking directly at the light. But they do not shine as blue, they appear pretty much white on the roadway.

They are very bright, and are perfectly legal. I'm on my 2nd set.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Ah, now that does make sense. Just out of curiosity - how did you find that out? I didn't even think to see if there was an adaptor!

Apologies for not responding sooner.... I get no notification of posts. Just found this one cruising through old posts.

I found out about the adaptor on one of the FZ6 specific forums. The H7 bulb has more narrow spacing on the contacts than the H4 style..... as this bike is delivered with the H7 on either location depending on market, it would cause chaos for the mfg to try and keep that straight.

Seems they 'defaulted' to the H4 pin spacing on both the left and right lamp positions, and then 'step down' for the H7 as required. Pretty nifty solution, IMHO.

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
switched out the stockers for sylvania silver stars. Plain old h4/h7. Definately white in color. I am told these will burn out quicker than the piaa's but if i have to change them out once a year so what. To me its worth it because they're really bright and i can pick them up at the local walmart for pretty cheap.