headlights

[email protected]

Reaction score
Visit site
hi all i done the headlight mode,but since i done it my heated grips dont get as hot as they used too,can any one advise me why and what i can do about it,thanks

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Take it for a ride and see if the grips seem normal. Probably because you're running the extra lamp at idle there is less power to the grips available. The charging system on these bikes don't do much at lower RPM's

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
hi all i done the headlight mode,but since i done it my heated grips dont get as hot as they used too,can any one advise me why and what i can do about it,thanks

That is what I was afraid of. I've done the headlight mod and want to put some grip heaters on. But wasn't sure if I tied them into the headlights if there was enough power there since there is already extra load with the addition of constantly running two lights. Thinking about using the power to the horn? But not sure if there is enough power there either since the power is only for the horn. I want power shut off to the grips when the key is off so I don't come back to a dead battery after I leave them on after shutting off the bike.

Nuts and bolts I am ok with. Electrical and wires not even close to knowing what I am doing. The dealer wants $120 to install the heaters.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
That is what I was afraid of. I've done the headlight mod and want to put some grip heaters on. But wasn't sure if I tied them into the headlights if there was enough power there since there is already extra load with the addition of constantly running two lights. Thinking about using the power to the horn? But not sure if there is enough power there either since the power is only for the horn. I want power shut off to the grips when the key is off so I don't come back to a dead battery after I leave them on after shutting off the bike.

Nuts and bolts I am ok with. Electrical and wires not even close to knowing what I am doing. The dealer wants $120 to install the heaters.
Best way to wire in something that draws lots of power is directly into the battery via a relay. Then you can use the power from the headlights to turn the relay on an off. Boneman and I have diagrams of how it's layed out on our websites. Don't forget to use a fuse too!

You should NEVER add anything else like that into the power to the headlights. Headlights draw around 50watts each, add 30-40watts for the grips and that's 140 watts! The extra drain could fry the wires or connections and that could mean very expensive damage that could even start a fire! At 12 volts, 140 watts is over 11amps! Most wire is certified for a max of 5ish.