Headlight reflectors

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm in the middle of the Bi-Xenon Angel Eye install. I got my front fairing and headlight housing removed last night. Baked it in the oven and was finally able to get the housing off (much tougher than I expected! That glue is some strong $h!t!).

I wish I would have thought about this before doing the mod but I'd like to paint the reflector portion black like Boneman did on his. Is there any special type of paint I'd need for this job? Does the housing get really hot so that you need some kind of paint that will hold up in that environment? Or would a normal can of black spray paint be okay?

My other question is: How do I remove the reflectors? Do I have to unscrew all of the headlight adjustment screws to get it out?

Thanks guys! I'm hoping to have an answer to this asap so I can get to the store, get these painted, and have it done by tomorrow night!

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
hey there dont know if this is much help but from what i remember of bonemans version, he used normal paint as the lights dont produce much heat i believe. also i think he just masked off the surronding area and prayed them. you will have to wait for some others to confirm but i am sure this is how it went.

hope this helps
Dan

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Now that you mention that KingY, I took a look again at boneman's pic on his website. It does look like he just stuffed some newspaper around all the parts that he didn't want to paint.

So would normal black spray paint work? Or should I get an actual paint and apply it with a brush? I'm not at all familiar with painting. I'm guessing there are different paints for different surfaces and I would need one for a metal surface, right?

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
The sportbikelites kit actually calls for you to remove the reflectors. It comes with it's own mount bracket so it's not an issue and I don't have to paint mine now.

But now I'm having difficulty mounting the HID's to the bracket they supplied.

If anyone has any experience with the sportbikelites kit, please let me know how you were able to mount the HID lights to the supplied brackets!