Headlight question???

jay5687

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondering if i replace my stock bulbs with hid bulbs with out the kit will it look decent or be brighter does anyone have a pic of what it will look like>? and also what size bulbs do i need

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
HID replacements don't work well with standard reflectors because the reflectors are designed for the halogen output patterns. In most cases that I've seen HID conversions with out the projector, blind oncoming traffic and will probably result in a ticket and removal once a LEO sees it. My brother had a kit on his truck and had to remove them.

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have HIDs on my truck with the stock reflectors. Have asked several people and they all say they aren't any brighter than regular projector HID cars. Some reflector housings aren't too bad with them I guess. I also made sure my lights were adjusted properly after the install.

If you are interested in HID kits, check out the DDM Tuning kits. Lots of great reviews, and the price cannot be beat.

Also, HIDs will be brighter. Love mine in my truck!

jay5687

Reaction score
Visit site
im not talking about the conversion kit im talking about just swaping the stock bulbs with the xenon bulbs or hid bulbs will it look good

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
im not talking about the conversion kit im talking about just swaping the stock bulbs with the xenon bulbs or hid bulbs will it look good

i guess not..but its a guess. i beleive that if you fit hid bulbs without their ballast they wont be any brighter than xenon or stock bulbs

the only bulbs that show brighter witt stock wiring are philips extreme vision or motovison (i have the motovision and they are really brighter than stock or any other xenon bulb i have used) or sylvania silverstars if im not mistaken... all other cheaper bulbs wont show any brighter than stock

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just ordered PIAA's, from PIAA (haven't arrived yet). Their listed under powersports ( PIAA ) and put out over 100 watts for the same powerdraw. You can order from their website..

I had PIAA's in my old bike, (loved them, considerably brighter, but they were a different style) but the life was about 1.5 years.

The salesperson I just spoke to indicated they are made for motorcycles and are designed to last 2,000 hours... about $50.00 each...

I do have the BD43 mod and mentioned I wanted both low beams to be the same looking as well.

H4 XWP A/V Bulb 100/110 watts
Part #: 70456
Qty: 1

H7 XWP Bulb, Single 110 watts
Part #: 70755
Qty: 1

PIAA Corporation USA - H4 XWP A/V Bulb

http://www.shopatron.com/products/p...rt_number=70755/353.0.1.1.13762.0.0.0.0?pp=8&

Last edited:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
If you just replaced the bulbs and got the same result as the kit, they probably wouldn't sell the kit, just the bulbs...

My .02...

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Nope. Xenon bulbs require around 10,000 volts DC to fire and around 4000 VDC to keep running. That's what the ballast does.

And you know that a-holes that drive by with their brights on? 90% of them just stuck the Xenon bulb in there with their stock reflector. Projectors will give you the option of high and low beams (that's where the Bi comes in on Bi-Xenon), you'll be better able to aim the lights, the light will throw farther so it won't just make a big "puddle" of light right in front of you (that actually destroys your night vision), and to oncoming traffic it just looks like two small headlights that flicker a little bit.

And there's no risk of a ticket cause you blinded a cop at night.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site

There is no such thing as an HID bulb.

There is such a thing as an HID burner (no filament) which is powered by an HID electronic ballast. You can't just get bulbs...they have to have a ballast unit and wire connector.

HID burners create light by way of a HIGH-VOLTAGE surge through a gas/crystal filled capsule which creates an arc of high intensity light. To generate this voltage you need a ballast. Startup voltage spike to start the arc is around 25,000 volts!

As to your original question: No, you do not just want an HID kit with no projectors in the FZ6...it will blind oncoming traffic, they will all flash you at night and because the HID light will scatter so much it won't put much more usable light on the road.

You can get those HID projector kits that just screw in through the bulb holder in the reflector and get 3X as much performance as the factory lights for $150 and all you have to do is remove the headlight lens covers...well worth it to see good at night!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nope. Xenon bulbs require around 10,000 volts DC to fire and around 4000 VDC to keep running. That's what the ballast does.

And you know that a-holes that drive by with their brights on? 90% of them just stuck the Xenon bulb in there with their stock reflector. Projectors will give you the option of high and low beams (that's where the Bi comes in on Bi-Xenon), you'll be better able to aim the lights, the light will throw farther so it won't just make a big "puddle" of light right in front of you (that actually destroys your night vision), and to oncoming traffic it just looks like two small headlights that flicker a little bit.

And there's no risk of a ticket cause you blinded a cop at night.

Exactly! All reflectors are not the same and when you install a light source not designed for the reflector you may seem to have more light but where is that light? So if you flood an area with more light near you and not focused properly and that dilates your pupils. You may not have proper vision in the distance but your mind is fooled into thinking you have more light. Well you do but not where you really need it.

Try this: Driving on a dark road at night with just your low beams on. Turn your dash light all the way bright. Now turn your dash light all the way dark.

What happens is with the dash lights are bright it dilates your pupils and you get less light. When the dash is blacked out your pupil will open wider letting in more information.

Also I've seen some HID/Hologen hybrid lamps They are a xenon lamp with a separate halogen high beam envelope attached. You'll still need the ballast transformer for the xenon envelope. This might be the best type of non projector HID set-up to use because it would allow you an optional separate high beam and you could then re-aim the lamps for better efficiency. You will need to modify your headlamp plugs and electrical to carry the intended switching of the new set-up.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been custom building HID projectors retrofit headlights for auto/moto owners for about 6 years now.

This is a set of pictures I took comparing the light output of an 8000K HID Kit inside a halogen headlight to the output of one of the cheapest, HID projector units with 4300K bulbs.

You be the judge!

This is an HID "kit" inside a halogen reflector headlamp:
Dscf3922.jpg

This is that same headlamp with a retrofit REAL HID PROJECTOR!
Dscf3924.jpg

Now this set of pictures will give you an idea of the amount of glare you are shining into oncoming traffic:

Again, HID KIT:
Dscf3920.jpg

HID projector retrofit:
Dscf3919.jpg

jay5687

Reaction score
Visit site
all im looking to do is be able to have hid in high and low but it seems like impossible i have no idea what to order or how to install it it sucks because i want them so bad and i dont want to mess something up the bike is brand new and i dont understand all this stuff everyone is explaning cause i have no idea what theyre talking about to begin with i want to kno what to order to have the hid in high and low and how to install please help anyone:(:(

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
all im looking to do is be able to have hid in high and low but it seems like impossible i have no idea what to order or how to install it it sucks because i want them so bad and i dont want to mess something up the bike is brand new and i dont understand all this stuff everyone is explaning cause i have no idea what theyre talking about to begin with i want to kno what to order to have the hid in high and low and how to install please help anyone:(:(

Do some research on this website: The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications

They have basic information on retrofit HID projector kits as well as a lot of great products. The morimoto mini projector can be placed right inside the FZ6 headlight, no cutting...you just have to take the headlight assembly out of the fairing, heat it in the oven at 215 degrees for 6 minutes and separate the lenses. If you don't get a projector kit and only get the bulb kits you are not going to have an improvement in lighting.