Headlight colors

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone done or know someone who tried to change the color of the headlights. I have the H4/H7 blue bulbs but was wondering if a yellow colored tint (like tint on windows) would show, i am thinking on going a RED........... only joking with the red but i would like to go to yellow, any idea's.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Yellow isn't a bad color. Especially if you ride at night and through fog a lot.
I think the brand name is Nokyo or something, they make a whole bunch of different colors and people seem to like them.

I have an orange tinted bulb(philips motovision) on one side and a bluish white tinted bulb(philips crystalvision) on the other. I like it.

W

wrightme43

I have the noyka extreme yellow on one side and the piaa extreme white/purple/blue looking bulb on the other. The only people that have pulled out in front of me in a long time are the ones that do it on purpose. They know I am there and just dont care.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i just ordered the extreme yellow H4/H7 bulbs and when i put them in i will go to a tint place to see if it would hold up with the weather and the heat from the bulbs but after looking at yours Steve i don't think the tint would be necessary.

D

Deleted member 2349

After looking at this thread I'm liking the H4 Yellow and H7 blue/white idea would be nice...Looks like the Watts output on Piaa's H7 are pretty good, and having the option of High beam yellow would be nice...good thread I just tripled my MOD budget so far this year. AND I HAVEN"T EVEN GOTTEN HER ON THE ROAD YET!!!

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the motovision bulbs for both HIGH and LOW beams and I have a red FZ6. Highly recommended, though it is a bit on the expensive side. I think it looks kick ass with the red tint. Plus light coverage at night was much better than stock.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've only seen one bike with the yellow bulbs, and they really caught my attention. I was driving a rental car and I spotted him a mile away.

I have the Piaa Xtreme Plus Bulbs, they have a slight bluish tint.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ya, im sure you could find just about any color out there, my buddy had a CRX in high school, it was lime green... im talking LIME green like NINJA green... and he had lime green bulbs to go right along with it

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i bought the extreme yellow from NOKYA like you Steve and with the dual headlight mod we have done in the past should measure up or should i say LIGHT up the road more. The one question I have is, Are the yellow bulbs LEGAL????

W

wrightme43

Well I have spoken with three officers on the side of the road and none of them mentioned anything about the bulbs.

Just they usual you know. Know how fast you were going? Slow down. Here is your lic, registration, and insurance. Slow down. Why are you undressing me with your eyes? Please stop that it makes me uncomfortable. You know the usual. LOL LOL

I am sure there is a way they could be construed as not, but not by anyone with out a huge stick up their butt. If I am ever asked it will be because of the desire to not get hit by a car. And that is really why I have them so...... I dont think it will be problem.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
i bought the extreme yellow from NOKYA like you Steve and with the dual headlight mod we have done in the past should measure up or should i say LIGHT up the road more. The one question I have is, Are the yellow bulbs LEGAL????

Atleast in california, YES yellow is legal. In fact fog lights are usually yellow, if you have white bulbs/lens in fog lights they're really just driving lights.

I've seen the following colors of bulbs on cars and bikes: White, Yellow, Orange, Blue, and variations of those. Yellow has the longest wavelength of those, followed by white.

D

Deleted member 2349

OK the PIAA are pretty expensive and some reviews say short lifespan. So i've been looking for some other H7 bulbs...

What do you think the max Watt or Kalvin rating should be?? Just so I can narrow down the results.

W

wrightme43

Light is a very interesting subject.

Very very very complicated. I studied on it some because of reef aquarium lighting.

More yellow/red/white bulbs punch further for lack of a better way to explain what I mean. Bluer bulbs are more noticable and present a better optical picture, but dont punch as far and more prone to scatter and refraction.

Basicly low kelvin temp the further you can see with less picture resolution, the higher kelvin the shorter distance but with more resolution.

So the yellow and blue has a good mix of light to me.

Reason I think it is a good idea.

1. it is strange so it is noticed quickly.
2. yellow is great in the rain, fog, spray conditions that are the most dangerous for bikes.
3. blue give a highly detailed picture of the what I am trying to see, and it looks really cool.
4. yellow is punching further down the road so I can see a few more feet down the road.
5. It makes me happy.

I do not buy the PIAA has a short burn life. I think they are awesome bulbs. The noyka bulbs are great too.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dammit, a bulb burned out in my headlights and I replaced it with a Silverstar bulb a couple of months ago. Now it burned out leaving me with one stock one again. :(

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Today the postman brought me my EXTREME YELLOW bulbs and i put them in and waited till it got dark out. WOW, yellow is YELLOW, looks great and lights up the road so much more. I took some pictures and they just don't show what they really look like. Just one question, does anyone know or remember which bolts are the adjusters. I need to bring up the throttle side up a little. I bought 2 sets for something like $55-60. I didn't think it would have made that much of a difference, I was thinking on tinting the lens but there is no need, IMO it looks great.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Today the postman brought me my EXTREME YELLOW bulbs and i put them in and waited till it got dark out. WOW, yellow is YELLOW, looks great and lights up the road so much more. I took some pictures and they just don't show what they really look like. Just one question, does anyone know or remember which bolts are the adjusters. I need to bring up the throttle side up a little. I bought 2 sets for something like $55-60. I didn't think it would have made that much of a difference, I was thinking on tinting the lens but there is no need, IMO it looks great.

W

wrightme43

LOL

Yep its that kind of yellow its really really cool out late at night in the country when there is no moon or street lights.

Glad you like them.

I never adjusted mine, I would say if you take off the black plastic inner fairings you will see the adjusters though. Just be carefull and dont force them.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i saw the 2 nuts but little by little i was turning them and they weren't moving. I can't remember what thread it was, i tried searching but couldn't find it. I will look tomorrow in the manual or try to search here, but yeah it looks great and light up everything, thanks Steve :thumbup: for the advice.

D

Deleted member 2349

Yep thanks to this thread I got the Extreme yellow, for hi/low beam and PIAA Extreme white/blue for low...16 shipped for Nokya and won a bid for 42 shipped for PIAA's and both off of fleebay. I can't wait to plug these in later this week.