head lights

winkle30

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone know where to get new head lights for the fz6. Is it possible to modify to 4 bulbs? Im wanting to have head lights like some of the limited edition sportbikes i have seen.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone know where to get new head lights for the fz6. Is it possible to modify to 4 bulbs? Im wanting to have head lights like some of the limited edition sportbikes i have seen.

You can retrofit the headlight to R6 projectors if you want the 4 projector look. Keep in mind this still only uses 2 bulbs, but puts out 4 separate beam patterns from the projectors. If you do a search, you'll find some threads on this including my DIY guide on how to do this mod.

KEN_TYE

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello to all , I am looking to change both headlights over to 50 Watt HID. has anybody tried the 50W? . are they that much brighter than the 35W HID. the other question is , will I need the extender piece for the H7 lamp when I switch it out. I figure it would better to been scene by a car instead of the ER

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello to all , I am looking to change both headlights over to 50 Watt HID. has anybody tried the 50W? . are they that much brighter than the 35W HID. the other question is , will I need the extender piece for the H7 lamp when I switch it out. I figure it would better to been scene by a car instead of the ER

35 Watt HID lights are very bright. I'm not sure you'd need to go to 50 Watts. I think you'd want to check to be sure the light housings won't melt because of the increased heat.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
You are confusing wattage with temperature. The temperature rating of HID (4300k, 6000k, 8000k, etc.) refers mostly to the color output of the HID kit. The whole point of converting to HID is two fold: 1. is better light output 2. uses less current than halogen bulbs thus drawing less off of the alternator.

A 35W HID kit is still about 3 times brighter than halogen lights. I doubt you'll need nor want anything brighter than that. I ran HID in my bike for over a year with no problems with melting the headlights, so that shouldn't be a concern with the standard 35W kits.

Keep in mind that although the left bulb is an H7 bulb, the wiring harness is an H4 harness. If you buy an HID conversion kit, they need to know this to send you the proper bulbs and wiring harness.

KEN_TYE

Reaction score
Visit site
As far as the temp , I was refuring to the heat the bulb would produce. I dont want to melt the housing. as far as color temp goes I,m looking at 6000k. I was planning on using the lite eyes double kit where you can pick each lamp. unsure about the spacer for the low beam. http://www.lite-eyes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=&products_id=33[/URL]

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
As far as the temp , I was refuring to the heat the bulb would produce. I dont want to melt the housing. as far as color temp goes I,m looking at 6000k. I was planning on using the lite eyes double kit where you can pick each lamp. unsure about the spacer for the low beam. http://www.lite-eyes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=&products_id=33[/URL]

Yeah 6000K is the best one out there. It has best of both worlds. I have 4300K & 8000K. I have been riding with 8000K for about a month, and once I switched to 4300K I was sold. It has a such great visibility over 8000K. Now the 6000K would be the best choice if you as me. Just because it has a slight tint of blue over 4300 and it still has a greater visibility over 8000. So if you decided to go with 6000K great choice.
Over all HID are best. I am never going back to standard bulbs....NEveeeerrrr...:rockon:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
did you need a extender for the low beam?. where did you get the HID kit from?

I am not familiar with these "extenders" you are referring to. What do you mean by this?

Most of these conversion kits are plug and play. The wiring harness is designed to plug directly into the OEM bulb harness and the bulbs have bases that match that of the OEM bulbs. This way there is no cutting of wires and you can also easily remove the kit if you needed to for some reason.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Please, for everyones sake, if you go HID get the projector retrofit...
Read through this to get some background...

While I still agree with you that projectors are the way to go with HID, I still do not see any reason why anyone with an FZ6 couldn't do HID in the reflective housing as well. The only adjustment needed is on the H4 bulb to pull it back ~3mm to put it in the focal point of the reflector. The H7 is already placed properly for the job.

Either way, this is not the place to rekindle this discussion. Let's stay on topic for the OP.:thumbup:

KEN_TYE

Reaction score
Visit site
the adaptor I was talking about is on the low beam (H7) . the bulb plugs into it and then into the harness. it looks like its there for the spring clip ,so the bulb will stay put. is the HID bulb have some type of thicker base to make up for it?

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
the adaptor I was talking about is on the low beam (H7) . the bulb plugs into it and then into the harness. it looks like its there for the spring clip ,so the bulb will stay put. is the HID bulb have some type of thicker base to make up for it?

Ah, I see what you're talking about. what you can do is find a washer with the proper internal diameter and dremel one end of it open (think the shape of the letter C) so that you can slide it over the wire and up against the bulb.:thumbup:

BTW: This is also why we have an H7 bulb and an H4 wire harness. That "extender" is actually an adaptor that converts the H7 plug into an H4 so that the wire harness will mate properly.

KEN_TYE

Reaction score
Visit site
could i just order 2 H7 style lamps? . I am having no luck getting thru to LITE-EYES.COM , any other place you can steer me in. much thanks

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
could i just order 2 H7 style lamps? . I am having no luck getting thru to LITE-EYES.COM , any other place you can steer me in. much thanks

No you cannot do 2 H7 style lamps. While sitting on the bike, the left headlight is an H7 bulb and right headlight is an H4 bulb. They do not have the same shape and are thus not compatible. You will need one of each style for this to work, but both sets of wiring will be H4. It's confusing I know, but just trust me on this one.:rockon:

KEN_TYE

Reaction score
Visit site
well , I recieved my HID kit Saturday. got it installed in about an hour, all I can say is WOOOOOW! these are really bright in the daylight , can't wait to see them tonight. well I was just as blown away as to how much better I could see. now I just need to upgrade my turn signals