head light UK vs Europe models

kolibri560

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a FZ6 in the Netherlands but it is imported from the UK. So now the right headlight is the highbeam instead of the left one. Should i change this and must i reposition the reflectors? Are there more differences between the UK and other models? It is the 2008 model.
Second: i want to install running light, any suggestions where to put the running light module?
Many thanks

Last edited:
:welcome: to the forum Kolibri. I've seen this question come up a couple of times up to now but I've not seen an answer yet. I don't know if there is enough play to adjust both lights to the correct beam for continental europe, or if a HID set allows more adjustment (maybe someone here can answer this) . Temporarily if you rewire the headlights so that they both work then it is less obvious that you have a UK set up.

Let us know how you get on.

BTW the Kolibri is a nice boat, I occasionally sail centaurs or Polyvalks (at my local sailing club).

Last edited:
thanks for you're reply cloggy. Next week i visit my dealer who was quite surprised when i told him about the headlights so i keep you posted.

You're right about the boat maybe i see you at het alkmaardermeer.

I've just changed my UK headlight to an EU one, as I imported my UK bike to France. You can't just swap the bulbs or adjust the reflectors unfortunately, you need a complete headlight unit change. This is because the bulbs need to change sides, and the reflectors have different sized holes for the bulbs. Also, if you officially import it, it may need an inspection where they'll look for a EU mark on the lights. Or is it already on Dutch plates with Dutch registration docs?

I bought a second hand EU headlight unit, fitted it and swapped the wiring over in the connector on the wiring harness (not too difficult). Let me know if you need more info or help for installation of a new headlight unit.

Cloggy PM'ed me abou this thread. I might have something that you can use.

I did this mod to my bike:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/14963-bi-xenon-projector-angel-eye-installed.html

They use the original reflectors for support but they are for use in euro country's. If you install these your lights would be correct.

You can find them here:

9004/9007 Bi-xenon projector HID CONVERSION Kit Hi/Lo - eBay (item 220666758372 end time Oct-08-10 21:07:27 PDT)

For the color: You current bulbs are about 3k2 color. 4K5 is a bit more white but it still has a yellow tint. 6K is almost pure white and 8k is blue'ish.

I hope this will help you.

Good advice there. This might be the easy way out, since both of the headlight will be ON after the mod.

yep and both can do low and high beam. + xenon has a higher light output (35 watt xenon = +- 3500 lumen where the normal 55watt bulbs are about 1500)

thanks for the replies. The bike is already on dutch plates with docs so it surprises me the lights are not changed over.
I really like the xenon solution because i drive a lot when its dark, so i talk it over with the dealer who sold the bike.
anyway i really am happy driving my new fazer from 2008 only 4000k, all black and looking brand new.

thanks for the replies. The bike is already on dutch plates with docs so it surprises me the lights are not changed over.
I really like the xenon solution because i drive a lot when its dark, so i talk it over with the dealer who sold the bike.
anyway i really am happy driving my new fazer from 2008 only 4000k, all black and looking brand new.

It seems they did not look at that. If you dont blind other road users i dont see a problem but the question is whats legal.

The Xenon solution is a special one. Its not something you will find at the normal dealers. They only have normal xenon conversion that used the original reflector. Even with EU reflectors you still have a way bigger change of blinding people. Projector lenses reduce this a lot.

I would not recommend converting reflector lights to xenon. But a lot of people do that and its legal. But i know a lot of people hate cars and bike that have them installed like that because they get blinded.

Yeah if it's already on Dutch plates why bother changing?! :spank:

If you are worried about blinding other motorists then either do the cheap (and less exciting) mod of a simple headlight unit change. Or if you want something cool, got for the projectors! :rockon:

You're right about the boat maybe i see you at het alkmaardermeer.

That would be cool, or maybe at the kagerplassen, not so local but this used to be my local one when I lived in Leiden.

I bought a second hand EU headlight unit, fitted it and swapped the wiring over in the connector on the wiring harness (not too difficult). Let me know if you need more info or help for installation of a new headlight unit.
If you are worried about blinding other motorists then either do the cheap (and less exciting) mod of a simple headlight unit change. ......

Davey did you change both headlights, and how much did it cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

let us know what the dealer said.

BTW :needpics:

Yeah if it's already on Dutch plates why bother changing?! :spank:

If you are worried about blinding other motorists then either do the cheap (and less exciting) mod of a simple headlight unit change. Or if you want something cool, got for the projectors! :rockon:

Haha cheap..... the headlight unit change is 2x more expensive then the projector's :)

And why bother because of blinding others. When you have someone that blinds you, you will know why :). I had one guy in a car behind me this morning. Had to held my hand before the mirrors because the light was so high and bright. And this where normal bulps not a xenon kit.

That would be cool, or maybe at the kagerplassen, not so local but this used to be my local one when I lived in Leiden.

Davey did you change both headlights, and how much did it cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

I asked the dealer. Because i wanted to paint the reflectors black. In case i would wanna go back to stock i needed to know what it would cost. You need to replace the whole unit. You cant buy separate reflectors. In the Netherlands it was more then 300 euro's.

Where the Projectors cost me about 175 euro's.

Yes it's one unit for the Fazer, and I bought it off a guy for 90 euros, but I am sure you could find it cheaper if you looked hard enough. If you buy it new from Yamaha it's very expensive! Did all the work myself and was fairly easy.

this forum is really alive. Lost of reply's!! I have been to the dealer and he is going to refocus the reflectors and he says it's gonna work. I think is ask him to focus them so i can use both headlights which is something i really like anyway. It's gonna be done next week (20.10) so i keep you posted.
Cloggy, the boat is off the water for the winter saison so no more sailing this year.:confused:

Yes it's one unit for the Fazer, and I bought it off a guy for 90 euros, but I am sure you could find it cheaper if you looked hard enough. If you buy it new from Yamaha it's very expensive! Did all the work myself and was fairly easy.
This does sound like the cheapest and easiest option Davey, if you can get hold of the parts for that kind of money. You did well to get it fixed for such a reasonable price :thumbup:.

this forum is really alive. Lost of reply's!! I have been to the dealer and he is going to refocus the reflectors and he says it's gonna work. I think is ask him to focus them so i can use both headlights which is something i really like anyway. It's gonna be done next week (20.10) so i keep you posted.
Cloggy, the boat is off the water for the winter season so no more sailing this year.:confused:

It would be great if they could focus them but I still think that with the shape of the beam they will still go up on the left side, and to bring this low enough you might reduce the height of the centre of the beam, but I'm no expert. I hope your dealers gets it sorted for you :thumbup:.

Yeah it's a shame the sailing seasons at its end now, roll on spring :thumbup:

So the dealer has done the focussing and it seems a lot better! The service is fine here because he says that if i don't like the solution we will look for another solution. So far so good. Thanks for all the advice

Back