Having trouble pushing my bike out of the garage.

Ridgerunner1061

Reaction score
Visit site
Aloha:
I was getting ready to ride today and I pushed out my friends Honda 919 and then my FZ6(2006). His bike rolled out so much easier I was really surprised. Both bikes have similiar mileage, correct tire pressure and correct chain adjustment. Why would the 919 push easier than my FZ6. I have 19,000 on the bike and Mich Power Pilot 2ct's that are new with correct air pressure. The 919 has battle Axe 016 tires and 15,000 miles. Are the wheel bearings on the Z that need repacked. I am stumped

Silver05

Reaction score
Visit site
wow. I would think our FZ6's would feel lighter and move easier than the 919. I'm also awaiting thoughts on this...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Get the bike up on the center stand, lift the front wheel up (I use a sizzor jack under the header) and check for brake drag. You should get at least a half turn free spinning after spinning by hand. The rear should also be at least the same.

You can also go for a ride, stop WITHOUT the front brake and feel the rotors. If its very warm/hot your brake calibers are sticking. Do the same for the rear brake.

If its dragging its time to R&R them and possible replace seals. Yamaha recomends replacing caliber seals/lines every 2 years....

BTW, the fronts on my 07 starting dragging with 5,000 miles on them. I pulled the pistons/seals (appeared clean inside). I further cleaned them and reassembled with disc brake lube (I purchased Permatex) which is made for pistons, seals, etc. Works great now...

Good luck

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When checking you can also push the pads back in slightly with a thin screwdriver and see if the drag goes away (eliminate possible bearing failure) and try spinning again. If that helps, the calibers need cleaning..

von_trippenhopf

Reaction score
Visit site
I had to 'un-seize' my front brake calipers recently as the front brakes were dragging after the bike had been stood for a while. It was a surprisingly easy job, it wasn't the pistons sticking in the calipers but the brake pads sticking in their housing.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Aloha:
I was getting ready to ride today and I pushed out my friends Honda 919 and then my FZ6(2006). His bike rolled out so much easier I was really surprised. Both bikes have similiar mileage, correct tire pressure and correct chain adjustment. Why would the 919 push easier than my FZ6. I have 19,000 on the bike and Mich Power Pilot 2ct's that are new with correct air pressure. The 919 has battle Axe 016 tires and 15,000 miles. Are the wheel bearings on the Z that need repacked. I am stumped

Yours was in gear and his wasn't. ;)

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Aloha:

If that is a CBR 919RR...... It's nearly 100 lbs lighter. Claimed dry weight is less than 400 lbs.

Honda CBR900RR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Yeah, I looked it up too. That's usually such a 'pie in the sky' number; and that is also the reason that Honda has gone to listing 'curb weight' for their more recent bikes in their literature.

Theoretical 'dry' weight is pretty meaningless. If all the parts in the design weigh what the mfg indicates they should at the time pen is first put to paper, the number would be somewhat useful.... no one rides a bike without oil in the fork, or shock, and engine oil, and liquid in the battery, etc..... It's been years since a motorcycle reviewed in any magazine weighed what the manufacturer said it did.

Having ridden a CBR 919 RR some years ago, I can tell you the HP to weight ratio on that mother is considerably 'stronger' than the FZ is. Looking at the hollowed out bolts that were weight reduced right to the limit tells me the whole thing is lighter than what an FZ could be. Whatever the 'dry weight' numbers say to the contrary.

Ridgerunner1061

Reaction score
Visit site
Good Day Everyone:
Ok I bought my bike used a year ago and I have had all sorts of handling issues. I bought the bike from a bike shop, but found the bike was not preped for sale at all.

Thanks to your help the bike is on the road and we are getting along fine. Here is what I needed to do to get things in order.
1. Removed and rebuilt both front calipers. That made the pushing thing much easier ( and something I would not have thought about doing).
2. Loosened the rear axle nut. It was way past over tightened.
3. Replaced the Metzler Road Tec's which had a flat stripe down the middle of them with Michlein Power Pilots 2ct's.
4. Adjusted the rear shock to setting that provides comfort and grip.

I would never have dreamed buying the bike from a shop that it was not prepped to ride. Thanks To Redlands Honda I was able to bring the bike up to a level equivilant to what everyone else talks about.

Thanks Again for your great advise.