having trouble in idle, tach dimming bike choking

S107

Reaction score
Visit site
So bike starts up fine to op temp. I take my 25 mile commute on the freeway. Get off freeway and come to a stop light. Tach starts dimming and bike starts to choke lightly. The idle is ok at 1260/1320. This happens in 1st and neutral. Any ideas? 06 with 65k mod to streetfighter. I do have some exposed wires but have all been elec taped off. Thanks. The problem is bad but noticeable. Want to correct before it gets bad.

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
I am going to go with something in your charging system too.
50Z% battery, 50% stator/rotor/reg&rect.
I lean towards battery mostly as this is an idle issue and at idle, most bikes barely charge.
Once you hit 2-3k, charging should start and your symptoms should go away.

Easy initial test would be to hook up a volt meter and start the bike.
At idle, see what your voltage is.
Rev the engine and then check what voltage is.
Then drop back to idle.
If voltage is under 12 or right at 12, then goes up and then back down, it is almost certainly the battery.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you saying that the tach (which is LCD on the 06) is dimming in conjunction with the idling problem I would say there is a voltage problem. Very first thing is check your battery connections. If they are secure check voltages as already mentioned. If all is okay in those departments you may have a dirty connector. Check all plugs, especially the ones near the front of the bike.

S107

Reaction score
Visit site
Valves were done at 30k. Going to pull battery today and hope that's the problem. Thanks for all the help guys.

S107

Reaction score
Visit site
So the problem went away after this post and was fine for a few weeks. 2 days ago I ride out about a mile and it choked and turned off in 1st at a stop light. Pulled off the road and started it up. The bike was struggling to turn on but I finally got it. It would shut down if i wasnt on the throttle constantly. I got it going and rode home with the throttle always open. Replaced battery today and during test ride the same thing happens. It just died at the 3rd stop. So I got it home the same way as before. I haven't checked any connectors yet but will clean all of them tomorrow. Could it be a fuel or air problem? Filter or throttle body? When the bike dies I always have power in tach. Also its a streetfighter and I have the whole front end connectors wrapped in elec tape. Thanks.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So the problem went away after this post and was fine for a few weeks. 2 days ago I ride out about a mile and it choked and turned off in 1st at a stop light. Pulled off the road and started it up. The bike was struggling to turn on but I finally got it. It would shut down if i wasnt on the throttle constantly. I got it going and rode home with the throttle always open. Replaced battery today and during test ride the same thing happens. It just died at the 3rd stop. So I got it home the same way as before. I haven't checked any connectors yet but will clean all of them tomorrow. Could it be a fuel or air problem? Filter or throttle body? When the bike dies I always have power in tach. Also its a streetfighter and I have the whole front end connectors wrapped in elec tape. Thanks.

In your first post you said the tach was dimming. That would lead me to believe you were losing voltage. Unless you meant the tach was waning?

If it was dimming see my post#6.

You could also have a bad kill switch which is a fairly frequent failure on the FZ6.
Besides checking all your plugs you can run a jumper across the 2 wires going to the kill switch and then test the bike to see if the problem is gone.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say over time there is a broken wire up front. In LOW gear you do all of your SHARP turns and perhaps that's why its showing up then.

IMO - if the wires were secured in the wrong position and it was ridden a long time like that, the constant bending from turning could easily lead to wire failures.

Last edited:

S107

Reaction score
Visit site
I've bypassed the kill switch last year. I did notice wirebrunning into frame on throttle side are kinked. Time to tear down and look for loose or damaged wiring.

S107

Reaction score
Visit site
Bike Stalling after 2 mins

New battery all connections and hoses checked. 06 FZ6 with 66,666 miles after first stall. So the bike is constantly stalling after about 2mins. Does it in Nuetral and first at stops. The bike primes up as normal but struggles until I open throttle. Once I let go the bike starts dropping idle speed slowly and stalls. If the fuel pump was bad would it start up at all? Could it be clogged filters? I always pump 91 and use FI cleaner every 1000-1500 miles.

S107

Reaction score
Visit site
Bike stalls after a few mins 09 fuel pump in 06?

Today i tore the bike apart cleaning and checking every electrical connector I could find. Battery has been on charge all day and Im having the same issue. Now im almost certain its a fuel problem. Im going to throw a hail mary and swap the fuel pump and and replace (or send in to clean) the fuel injectors before getting bent over at stealership. :spank:

Will a 2009 FZ6 pump fit an 06? The09 part number is 20s-13907-00. From what ive read it should... But has anyone made this swap before?

Thanks

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Bike stalls after a few mins 09 fuel pump in 06?

Today i tore the bike apart cleaning and checking every electrical connector I could find. Battery has been on charge all day and Im having the same issue. Now im almost certain its a fuel problem. Im going to throw a hail mary and swap the fuel pump and and replace (or send in to clean) the fuel injectors before getting bent over at stealership. :spank:

Will a 2009 FZ6 pump fit an 06? The09 part number is 20s-13907-00. From what ive read it should... But has anyone made this swap before?

Thanks

I think someone on the forum said the FZ6r pump fits, does the job and is cheaper in price.

Check it out. Dake said the pumps look identical. You might contact him to see if he got it in and running. The FZ6R pump is P/N 20s-13907-00-00 $285. The FZ6 pump is P/N 5vx-13907-00-00 $430.
These part numbers and prices are from ronayers.com

Last edited:

S107

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks moto, i found a part out on this forum and will hopefully grab the pump for an amazing price. Just working out the shipping details. I'm SO excited!