Has anyone reused their brake piston seals?

I'm going to point out that unlike many parts, that caliper seals should not be reused once removed from the caliper.

WHY? Like a finger print each caliper has machine groves cut into it. After being in the SAME HOLE for years, these groves take a set in the seals. If they are moved to a no location and seal does not conform to the new hole perfectly, it could leak.

I suppose you could try and return the seal to the same exact hole it came from, but it should be EXACTLY the same location, orientation, and rotational position it was removed from. The same is true of the piston for that hole although I see this as less of an issue as the finish if not damaged is pretty good and less likely to be an issue.

Just my 2cents. Also, if you nick or damage the seal, it should be replaced.

Initially, when mine starting sticking, I pulled them apart, cleaned them and put brake lube on the seals/pistons. Went back together without an issue. Didn't keep track of seals/bores, pistons, either.. Definitly better but the seals were still 4-5 years old (rubber hardening up, sticking).

Can you do without leaks, lack of performance, etc? In my case, yes.

However, about 8-9 months later, they started dragging again, not as bad but not good.

Sprung for the new seals, installed them, a NIGHT and DAY DIFFERENCE. The lever was about the same however with the new RUBBER SEALS, they actually pull the pistons back where they belong noticably increasing "Free wheel spin" and definitly, less drag on the rotors. Technically, their NEW assemblies as there's nothing else to them.

Especially for the 07 and up (with 4 pistons per side), for the time your going to take pulling them apart, cleaning, re-assembly, bleeding, etc, AND then to have them drag again(fail), MONTHS LATER, it really isn't worth it.

Just put NEW OEM seals in after a good cleaning, best $100 you spend.. Then your good for another 4-5 years...

:Sport:

Back