Harley Davidson 883 Iron

simonwb

Back in black
Reaction score
Visit site
Here in the UK, H-D have got a big test ride promotion on, so I thought I'd bite the bullet and have a go.

Went for the 883 Sportster Iron, which IMO is one good looking bike:

simonwb-albums-simonwb-s-fazer-picture3349-09iron883.jpg

Well...what a difference from a Fazer! I knew a twin would be different from an inline four, but could hardly believe that two road bikes could be so chalk and cheese.

What I liked:
- small, low size
- finish: black all over, even the levers
- positive feel to the controls, gear shift etc
- self cancelling indicators!!
- neat combined brake light/indicator pods
- the thud thud thud noise
- the H-D experience: smart dealership, on the ball staff, good range of branded gear

What I didn't like:
- the brakes (or rather, lack of them!) just one disc on the front
- pegs touch down very easily
- no tacho!!
- how much the engine vibrates at idle
- windblast over 70mph
- the riding position. I'm just 169cm tall and for me the combination of the seat and reach forward to the bars got uncomfortable pretty quickly. However, H-D naturally have an answer for that with a range of different bars in all sorts of finishes

All in all, I surprised myself by really enjoying it and the way it encouraged me to putter around at 50mph, taking in the views. If I wanted a bike just for short rides on sunny weekends, I'd get one. But I don't - at the moment, I use a bike during the week as a fast and efficient way of getting around for work and my Fazer fits that bill pretty well.

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not a big fan of Harley's, but that is a nice looking bike, very compact for a Harley.

Thanks for the ride review.

:thumbup:

Manx

Reaction score
Visit site
I took a Bonneville out before I bought the FZ6, same sort of conclusions as yours with the HD. Great bike, nice noise, relaxed ride, but a lot more limited than an FZ6 in ride quality, braking, power and general usability. As a second bike great, but as I only have room for one, it has to do everything. The FZ6 pretty much ticks all my boxes.

aj_fz6

n00b
Reaction score
Visit site
I really like the 883 Iron as well. It's basically their Nightster without the 1200 engine. Maybe in a couple of years we can pick them up used for a decent price. I'd love to have one as a 2nd bike as well!

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I find is amazing that a 900cc motor can make only 50 hp.

It also makes 55ft/lbs of torque at probably a couple thousand RPM. Different engine design for different needs

Harley is making some very interesting products lately, my pick would be the XR1200 though. That is sexxxy