Hand painted rims?

Billhockey1993

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone ever hand painted their rims? I was thinking of maybe hand painting the rims and swing arm and don't want to take them off plus I don't have a jack. If anyone has done this did you still sand them down to bare metal? Did you use primer?
Thanks

If you're going to do it, do it right...

Take it all apart, clean parts up 100%, scuff them, prime them and shoot them with a real gun and real paint... Or, take them off, clean them up, and get them powdercoated.

I've actually done my car rims before took them off scuffed primed painted then clear coat. And I actually used spray paint (it was automotive grade) but still looks brand new after 4 years and a car wash twice a month. Do you think that same routine would hold up on the bike?

I know a few guys have done that with car wheels, and no reason why it wouldn't work on a bike... But you really need to pull all the parts apart and off the bike to do it right.

I painted my bike last summer, the actual painting took maybe 30 minutes... But the tear down and prep of all the parts took a couple days with an experienced buddy helping me out. 90% of a good paint job is the prep work.

Back