Half a tank in 45 miles!!

TripNip

Men of Mayhem
Reaction score
Visit site
This can't be right surely, does it everytime on my way to work.
07 plate naked.
Motorway miles, sitting at 85-88mph, didnt go over 90 once.
A few blips when overtaking, but never a heavy wrist really...

Is this bike that bad on fuel or have I got a problem I don't know about?

Last edited:

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
if you're staying a lot of time in low gears (up to 3rd) and high in revs it will surely demolish the fuel.

maybe spark plugs on the way out (dont know just trying to figure out what the cause may be)

i think someone had this kind of issue but i cannot remember the thread title :(

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
what;s the engine revving at?

is it weighed down with any extra luggage/pillions/morbidly obese people?

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine went though gas that quick when the TPS went out, but it was obvious when it happened due to dying at a stop and loss of power.

TripNip

Men of Mayhem
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm about 80-85KG,
Me on my own and a light rucsack with work uniform in it, so it can't be that.

We're all in a good conclusion that it's definately something wrong then?
Even if I was ragging it and really giving it some, it still wouldn't return that bad would it?

That's like roughly 25 mpg

TripNip

Men of Mayhem
Reaction score
Visit site
Heh... Really need help on this one...

So it's gonna be a take it into the garage job? (twice because the first time they'll check it and just say its how I'm riding...)

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
might be the TPS (throttle position sensor). I had this problem a few weeks ago, solved it by changing it. I was doing like 120 miles per tank top. Maybe it's on it's way to TPS paradise :) As well you could check for leaks, maybe some hose cracked and you loose fuel, keep it for 10 seconds at 5-7k and check under the bike, maybe you see some leakage.

DeusEx

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll bet on a faulty tps. Poor fuel consumption is a typical symptom.
Has it ever been replaced? The first models had faulty tps and they where replaced by yamaha dealers for free.

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
you can probably diagnose a faulty TPS yourself

even on a trackday i'd struggle to use that much fuel!

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
A check of the air filter would be a good thing, too. A plugged up filter may not be the only reason, but it could account for some of it.

going going.....gone

Reaction score
Visit site
Quite interested my bike does about 100mile to a £20 tank fill. So it's about 25mpg also. I just thought it was the bike. Oh well. How can you check the tps. Also could this problem cause an inability to balance the TB's cos that's another problem I've had.

Dan

P.s. Bikes an 08 s2 the blue fastest one lol

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.975183,-0.029989

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How would I go about diagnosing that?

Here's some good info on this with instruction to get your instrument cluster into diagnostic mode. The numbers should be pretty close and there should be a smooth transition on the readout as you slowly turn the throttle.

So a reading of 15 to 17 then as you slowly turn the throttle there should be a smooth transition to 97 to 100. If the numbers get jumpy in a certain spot or the top and bottom numbers are way out, the TPS is bad.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...iencing-poor-idle-mileage-stalls.html#post227

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's some good info on this with instruction to get your instrument cluster into diagnostic mode. The numbers should be pretty close and there should be a smooth transition on the readout as you slowly turn the throttle.

So a reading of 15 to 17 then as you slowly turn the throttle there should be a smooth transition to 97 to 100. If the numbers get jumpy in a certain spot or the top and bottom numbers are way out, the TPS is bad.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...iencing-poor-idle-mileage-stalls.html#post227

Pretty much any sensor are low voltage. 0-5V. There's 3 wires on the TPS. 1-Ground 2- 5V in 3- V out. This last one will be the one you need to check. Look if there's any spyke in voltage... In case of a doubt... change it! You can just pick your voltmeter right at the connector on the intake.

If you have a fuel controller you can always plug in also. Mine read .666V at idle, and about 3.8 or 4.0 at WOT.

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
This bike DRINKS fuel when you stay above 80 mph. the worst fuel economy I ever got was when following a riding buddy on the interstate for 150 miles at 80-100 mph...I got less than 40 MPG...when I ride at 70 mph highway I get 50 mpg every time.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This can't be right surely, does it everytime on my way to work.
07 plate naked.
Motorway miles, sitting at 85-88mph, didnt go over 90 once.
A few blips when overtaking, but never a heavy wrist really...

Is this bike that bad on fuel or have I got a problem I don't know about?
When you say half a tank is this going by the fuel gauge or by visual inspection?
Coming back with Cloggy on a UK run I had two bars left on the LCD. We had 50 miles or so to do. I thought I would do it no problem. I had to stop after 40 miles.
We were running at 75-80 mph.

Nelly