ha, chillin with my mates

tag1963

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done some serious partying in Brisbane, Darwin, Perth, Sidney. One of the many good things about the folks down under, they can party. A nickle's worth of advice for anyone traveling to Australia, don't try to out drink an Aussie LOL :) :)

FZ6 Tas

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys. I'm a 06 Fz6 owner in Tassie. Not many of us down here. Only seen one in orange like mine but that was 400 kays away so thats ok. Any one else from TAS.

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Another Aussie here. I like the idea of gettin a ride together up in Brisvegas. Ive got a brother up there who ive been threatening to visit. See ya round :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey another Adelaide person here.....just joined this forum, and have just bought an orange 2006 FZn.

Thought i would jump i here and get as much info on my happy purchase as possible...

Nice to see a few of us Aussie's on board...

stay upright people :)

Lewy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey another Adelaide person here.....just joined this forum, and have just bought an orange 2006 FZn.

Thought i would jump i here and get as much info on my happy purchase as possible...

Nice to see a few of us Aussie's on board...

stay upright people :)

Gday and welcome on board i to have a 2006 model but mine is Silva anyway have fun

Lewy

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, i took my bike for it's first decent ride in my hands today...150km's around the Adelaide hils at a reasonably sedate pace...getting used to my new steed!

Initial thoughts are, heaps of grunt up top, handles pretty well for relatively low spec suspenders. Needs an aftermarket exhaust pipe! sounds like a sewing machine!

but what exhaust? or should i say exhausts?

Have heard the Leo Vinci's, and they are a bit too loud for me! met a guy today who had staintunes, and they looked nice, were not too loud, but a nice gruff sound.

So the staintunes are in my considerations, can anyone suggest any other pipes, that are available in Australia, (readily), that i should consider?

Any help would be appreciated. :)

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wolfman,redline exhausts at Melrose park can de-baffle yours for about $300 other than that your probaly better off getting pipes from the US , the exchange rate is competitive now and even with postage will be cheaper than getting some here,I can get some SS Scorps posted here from the US hundreds of dollars cheaper than getting stuff here.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ozfazer6. Thanks for the handy advise....might try the de-baffle route first, cause i am actually more interested in making it a bit louder more than anything...no-one knows your around with the standard pipes..which scares me a little!

If i am happy with the result, then it's a great cheap fix.

If i am not happy, might have to go the US route, as i have noticed that here in Adelaide, all the shops want stupid prices compared to prices in UK & US.

Sounds like, even if i do decide to replace after a de-baffle, if i got em from OS then i will probably be up getting out of it for around the same cash in the end...

Met a guy on the weekend who had staintunes on his FZ6n and they looked and sounded great, but when i sent a message to Staintune yesterday, they replied with a sorry we dont make anything for that bike! So am guessing he has had them adapted to fit.

As for the Scorpions, i did spy them on the net in the UK, for about 300 pounds (stainless - slightly more for the more exotic finishes)...which equates to about $620 Australian, plus shipping (i have no idea what this would add to the cost?). They look like a nice pipe, and from all accounts are pretty popular in the UK.

Got quoted $1000 inc. fitting for a pair of Leo Vince's today, and that was not carbon, or titanium...probably a fair price in Australia???

Anyway, once again, thanks for your help. :)

FZ6 Tas

Reaction score
Visit site
Ozfazer6.
Met a guy on the weekend who had staintunes on his FZ6n and they looked and sounded great, but when i sent a message to Staintune yesterday, they replied with a sorry we dont make anything for that bike! So am guessing he has had them adapted to fit.

I asked staintune about some slip ons and they told me they do make a set and from memory they were about $1200. I got my self a set of Microns on ebay dirt cheap. They aren't road legal though.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wolfman,redline exhausts at Melrose park can de-baffle yours for about $300 other than that your probaly better off getting pipes from the US , the exchange rate is competitive now and even with postage will be cheaper than getting some here,I can get some SS Scorps posted here from the US hundreds of dollars cheaper than getting stuff here.

Well i booked my bike into Redline Exhausts to get them to de-baffle my standard pipes , after getting a couple of other recommendations as to the quality of their work.

Next Wednesday is D day for the de-baffle, so i will let people know how i go!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well i have got my bike back from redline, and they have done an awesome job. Bike sounds much better now. Is loud enough without being offensive. Have taken some photo's, but dont know how to upload them into a post???

Have also taken some video with audio....but also dont know how to upload into a post???

In short, my bike seems to run just as well, does not sound tinny, cosmetically the exhaust still looks very stock (only difference is bigger diameter opening at end's).

And according to redline it will breathe about 30% better.

Definitely seems to have cured snatchiness related to opening throttle, and acceleration is definitely smoother, and stronger down low.

Mission accomplished, and the box has not had to be butchered in the process.

If anyone can help me with how to upload photo's, that would be great.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, how good is it...well it's quite a bit louder, but not obnoxiously so, like a nice aftermarket can sounds, but not over the top. It definitely breathes a lot better, and it feels like it has released a little more power.

As for looks, it looks just the same as a standard exhaust, except that the outlet holes are about twice the size....but still fit within the standard shroud at the rear. After 2 days riding, and about 300km's, there does not seem to be any burning, etc, on the shroud.

They did not open the main box, so there are no ugly welds underneath the shroud.

It cost $280 and took them half a day. Bike was put back together perfectly.

All in all i am very happy with the result...much better than going out and spending $1000 + on new aftermarket pipes, which in my opinion, dont look as nice as the standard exhaust...ie: all aftermarket exhaust's seem to stick out a lot further than standard.

Now i think i am going to go to performance superbike, and get a power commander fitted (they are the cheapest in Adelaide - $475 fitted and base mapped...i have shopped around, and they are the agent for power commander's in SA).

They have a Dyno at PS, so i may get them to give it the once over on that too after the power commander is fitted, which will be around another $200 (once again very reasonable compared to other dyno's in Adelaide...have shopped around for price)

These guys have plenty of experience with FZ6's, as they have worked on FZ6 cup bikes, so i reckon i am on the right track.

Once all this is done, i will have a set of nice sounding pipes, that breathe better, look standard, with an engine with optimum power characteristics, thanks to the power commander, and dynotune, all for under the price of a set of aftermarket pipes...

Will keep people informed of how it all comes together.

PS: Nice to see another Adelaide person in here. :)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You say they didnt open the can, did they only put bigger outlets on?

Pretty much, they did drill through the back of the main box where the end pipes fed into the muffler box, and pretty much eliminated the back flow, by taking out the small outlet pipes, and replacing them with pipes about twice the size, that bypassed the rear third of the internal part of the box, by lengthing them so they came straight out of the secondary chamber. But no cutting open of the main box from the exterior to do the job. is neat as a pin.

Hope you can understand that...if not, give Redline a call...am sure they will be able to explain much better than i just did...lol.

Terry, the guy who did it, was a pleasure to deal with, very professional and thorough.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They did not open the main box, so there are no ugly welds underneath the shroud.

It cost $280 and took them half a day. Bike was put back together perfectly.

Will keep people informed of how it all comes together.

PS: Nice to see another Adelaide person in here. :)

Hey Wolfman, thanks for the updates. Been thinking about getting the same thing done, so I might give Redline a call and book it in.

I just want the louder bike, don't think I'll go for the PC myself, but it's something to keep in mind for later on. Thanks for sharing.

If I see a loud FZ6 with stock-looking pipes, I'll give you a wave...lol
(I got a Silver/Black FZ6S)

:)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well yesterday i went for a rather spirited ride with 3 mates, and covered about 300km's at a rather rapid pace, and the bike was awesome, as i said before, snatchiness from a closed throttle seems to be much better....in fact non existent, and the bike had no trouble in keeping up with a z1000, and a hayabusa at some pretty mind warping speeds...strongly suggest the de-baffle, if you want a bit more noise, and a bike that breathes much better!

Sounds bloody great when your riding "on the pipe" as well.

The more i ride this bike, the more i realise how good it is! nice and gentle around the city, and a formidable match for bikes that are supposedly more sport orientated, when you start riding it anywhere above 7000 rev's. In fact the only time the bigger, more powerful bikes get away from you, is on the long straight's!

:):Sport:

Rxticle

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys - does anyone debaffle the standard exhaust in Brisbane?

Wolfman - I'd love to hear and see those pipes once you work out how to post the pics, soundfiles, vids....... nice to see you are a fan of The Doors too.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, here's hoping this works....a picture of what the rear of my exhaust looks like now....