Gym thread- Who is working out? Make that Fazer lighter!

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I kind of disproved that whole mind over matter statement.... I didn't mind but it sure as hell mattered. I've always been good at ignoring pain and driving through something but at this point, I'm starting to suffer the repercussions of it. Arthritis, bursitis, no cartilage in the left shoulder, etc.

The guy I worked out with at that time had a similar issue. Too dumb to quit. I lifted with him and he ran with me all through Iraq. Now, he no longer runs his PT test (ran until his feet broke) and I don't do pushups. We crippled each other with our mental "strength"....

It creates a lot of issues when working on bikes too. I've picked up the front end of a cruiser before when loosening a nut and didn't notice until the nut broke loose.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Greg - watch out on adding military press. Look into the proper form on this one. Most of those jokers in the gym have no idea how NOT to destroy their shoulders. As a guy who used to shoulder press 275, just because I could.... don't do it. After 18 months of 3-day per week physical therapy, I'm back up to benching 70 lbs and I can't even work shoulders yet. Just my 2c.... :(

tbh I've not been doing any kind of incline press, closest is standing dumbell presses, but that's only with 15kg each side.

I have only just started bench pressing (keeping elbows in tight), and I can't do incline or decline yet.

Funnily enough my physio was suggesting I try some stuff (with light weights) that I thought would be bad for my shoulders (wide grip pull-ups, wide grip press-ups, etc.)

I'm just taking it slow and listening to my body. To be fair I was never great at shoulder presses, I think my max was only 60kg with a barbell from standing and bar racked on my shoulders (strict)

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was pretty big into the "home exercise" program, but quickly found them to be repetitive and boring. The lack of variety quickly became dull no matter which program I was doing. The results were minimal because the workouts usually focused a lot on high cardio, and without anyone actually there to track your progress, I found myself getting discouraged a lot.

Buuuuuuuut... Then I joined a crossfit box. :D

This was about 3 months ago. There was one about 3 miles from work, with a 5:15pm class that worked out great! I've found a great workout family there, who constantly push each other and themselves and really inspire you to kick your own butt no matter what!

My stats:
Age - 22 (23 in september)
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 167lbs (started at 163 lbs)

My current numbers for the lifts portion:
Bench: 160lbs (need to re-test in about 2 weeks)
Front squat: 195 lbs
Back squat: 215 lbs
Push Press: 140 lbs
Shoulder press: 115 lbs
Deadlift: 320lbs (need to retest in about a week, had a horrible grip on the last one)

The most intense workout was this past monday. Every memorial day we do a "Hero" workout called "Murph" It's to honor a navy seal, Sgt. Murphy who died while trying to rescue the 3 members of his squad (One did make it back)
The workout is like this:
Start -
1 mile run
any combination to get the following totals - 100 pullups, 200 pushups, 300 air squats (I did 20 rounds of 5-10-15)
1 mile run
End
Took me 51:50 to finish and I was REALLY tired, but it was so worth it.
Hero CrossFit WOD: Murph - YouTube

I have noticed a lot of trimming up around my belly, though! (the last spot I need to lose fat in my opinion) which means project six-pack 2013 is going well!

Good to see others working out as well!

Oh, and if you need more motivation check out Lose the Fat
I like that work out, its similar to what I do at the gym. Im gonna give that a try on monday.

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
if anyone wants a challenge try a "burpee mile". Did one last August to celebrate my 48th b'day....2hrs and 20 mins later I finished my last one.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I like that work out, its similar to what I do at the gym. Im gonna give that a try on monday.

I've done it a couple of times at my old gym in amsterdam, only we had to do the exercises in order, 100 pulls, then 200 press-ups, then 300 squats. It's horrible.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've done it a couple of times at my old gym in amsterdam, only we had to do the exercises in order, 100 pulls, then 200 press-ups, then 300 squats. It's horrible.
I did a work out with a coworker lastweek, 1 lap around the track, then stop at each corner and do an excercise ( I did this after running a 5k @ 7mph) after 5 laps I wanted to crawl into a corner and cry:BLAA:
I forgot to add...14 laps is a mile on this indoor track.....

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah tbh shorter workouts tend to be harder as they are much more intense, i don't mind the longer ones as you can pace them a bit

400m and 800m sprints are particularly nasty. tabata rowing is another one. plus there's the crossfit girls....

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't lift freeweights, but have been working out on Nautilus or similar machines 2, 3 times a week since my twenties (arms/chest are still not very developed, but all the waist/leg machines I lift the entire stack). Nothing's changed for years.
However, just recently I can throw my Fizzer around all over the place, like a toy. Two months ago I adopted a BMW R1200 GS (her name is "Pig") and after riding her most of the time since, I can flick my Fizzer around without starting the motor... :D

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
However, just recently I can throw my Fizzer around all over the place, like a toy. Two months ago I adopted a BMW R1200 GS (her name is "Pig") and after riding her most of the time since, I can flick my Fizzer around without starting the motor... :D

Yep that's confidence. Grunt helps but just shows how much is in your head.

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to be a total hardgainer. 6ft 4 @ 200ibs. used to do the usual bodybuilding type work out. used to have very bad shoulder pains while benching. max deadlift was like 130 kg which I thought was impressive. squat was 120 kg. bench bout 85kg.

Started training with powerlifters. adopted westside barbell type program, incorporating max effort, dynamic effoert and repetition effort methods.

Now currently weigh 245ibs. squatted 180kg. 235kg equipped.
benched 125kg equipped. deadlifted 215kg.

If you are a hardgainer you will have to up the calories big time my friend and miracles can happen :thumbup: :thumbup:

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Buddy and I just did leg day. Man it feels great to be back in the gym. Didn't go crazy as it was our first day back since both of our injuries, but hard enough to feel it. Ended with 10 minutes of high intensity cardio (it's said to burn a ton of calories if you do this at the end of every workout) and 10 mins in the sauna. Can't wait to see how I feel tomorrow haha. We are on a 5 meal program, breakfast-snack-lunch-snack-dinner. All with equal portion of protein carbs and fruits/vegetables and protein shakes mixed throughout the day. Gotta have plenty of fuel in the tank.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
I destroyed my core trying out a variety of exercises then attempted to deadlift. I couldn't get 180 off the ground. Oops.

Favorite core exercise so far is the sitting Russian Twist w/ a plate variation and feet raised. The standing version I found too difficult not to work the shoulders vs. abs.

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I destroyed my core trying out a variety of exercises then attempted to deadlift. I couldn't get 180 off the ground. Oops.

Favorite core exercise so far is the sitting Russian Twist w/ a plate variation and feet raised. The standing version I found too difficult not to work the shoulders vs. abs.

Always do abs last lol

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Get it done, man. I've got a ramped up work out schedule for the summer. I regularly work out with a friend from school. A little exercise really helps take your mind off whatever that crap was that you were frowning about earlier in the day, you know? :D

On upper body days we get shoulders, chest, and tris. Bench, decline bench, military press, flies, lateral lifts, etc.

Archeon

Reaction score
Visit site
After I realized me and my girl were above the maximum load weight for the bike, diet time!

So far down about 3lbs in a week.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Get it done, man. I've got a ramped up work out schedule for the summer. I regularly work out with a friend from school. A little exercise really helps take your mind off whatever that crap was that you were frowning about earlier in the day, you know? :D

On upper body days we get shoulders, chest, and tris. Bench, decline bench, military press, flies, lateral lifts, etc.

Yep, I find it really good to do something far removed from the day job and releasing endorphins at the same time is always good!

Still about 20lbs short of benching my bodyweight. Just need to keep with it.