Gutted FZ6 Exhaust

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to a friend of mine who pretty much did most of the modifying while I looked on, I've now got a second, heavily modified exhaust.

I haven't got a video yet, and work all day tomorrow, so won't until Monday at the earliest, but pics are below, and I will link in a video later.

It sounds wicked good :) nice and deep and a little lumpy.

I didn't take enough pictures, but EVERYTHING inside got ripped out, except a little of the rear baffle plate to direct the flow more centrally.

The outlet pipes were cut off, and the outer flanges (1 3/8") were cut out. The new tips are the same diameter as the outer flanges, at 1 3/8".

Took an afternoon and a $120 spare exhaust - overpaid a little (didn't know Humpy wanted to get rid of his until a bit too late). The short lengths were leftovers from a friends slip-on.

Well worth it.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty much the exact same way I did mine and ya I love it! It sounds super aggresive and super loud without being "whiney" personally I dont think I would have it any other way after hearing many other systems. I have people compliment it all the time and ask if its a 1000 saying it sounds "big" but good job im sure you will love it even more as time drags on as well as the money you saved

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
To the bloke thinking of doing it - it's definitely worth it. I went out to the shed when I got home from dinner, and started it up while I was looking for some screwdrivers for an ectronic job. Turned it off and went inside :)

You'll need all of the tools you would guess, and a lot of patience; there are three different chambers, separated by two solid baffle plates - which are tack AND bead welded in. Then there are 4 pipes - two outlet and two joining the three chambers; all of these pipes are bead welded completely around.

It's time consuming, and not at all easy but well worth it :)

More rewarding than buying some slip-ons, provided you like to stock look. And it still suits my FE and top - box :-D

To the poster of the original heavily modified exhaust - thanks for the detailed thread; it meant I knew what I was looking for before I went in.

And yeah, it sounds lumpy, a little coarse and angry. Love it :-D

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm working on this mod to. Picked up an second exhaust from ebay. I have to find someone with a welder now, my only access is 6hrs away right now. Will post pictures in a bit but my cut is on the bottom as to not have to cut out the mounting hardware of the exhaust and deal with realignment issues.

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Going to be a while before I get a video. This was my guide for starting the mod.
exhaust mod pics - Sportbikes.net

Like I said I still have to find a welder to weld things back together and then put it on my bike. I'm also leaving the country on work travel for a couple weeks at a time over the next couple months so prob will be spring when I get the exhaust on. :( Hopefully before then tho.

Current progress of gutted inside. This muffler is also about 12lbs before the mod. It's weight surprised me when I first picked it up.

Caesar

Reaction score
Visit site
Going to be a while before I get a video. This was my guide for starting the mod.
exhaust mod pics - Sportbikes.net

Like I said I still have to find a welder to weld things back together and then put it on my bike. I'm also leaving the country on work travel for a couple weeks at a time over the next couple months so prob will be spring when I get the exhaust on. :( Hopefully before then tho.

Current progress of gutted inside. This muffler is also about 12lbs before the mod. It's weight surprised me when I first picked it up.

Did you rip everything out without using a cutting torch? if so what did you use to cut it open?