Guess this is as good of a place as any to introduce myself.

Ron P

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, first off, I am NOT insane. But just to let you know that I'm selling a BMW K1300S in favor of an '09 FZ6. Why? Simple (at least to me). The K1300S is a very sophisticated bike and capable of speeds that will land you in jail in a New York minute. But there's a price to be paid for that kind of bike and frankly I'm not willing to pay it anymore.

Also, I'm not into the superlong interstate type of riding where a K1300S would shine. I commute to work 55 miles round trip and my wife and I ride on the weekends for a couple hundred miles (she has a Ducati Monster 696).

I found my FZ6 at Colgan Motorsports in Manassas, VA for $6600 OTD. I've logged in 50 miles once I got it home to shake it down. It's going to be a bit of an adjustment going from a 175 hp/104 ft. lb. monster to the Yami's engine, but in the long run, the lower purchase price, lower fuel consumption and cheaper insurance will benefit me.

Ron P

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I will. The BMW was an "ego" bike - uber power, uber sophistication, but an UBER price tag. I've logged 15k on it this year, but most of it was commuting. Now I've done some insane stuff on it, like coming damn close to 170, but I don't need to do that. My commute is going to change next year and I'll be away from highways and onto secondary roads. Plus, i don't do a lot of interstate riding or super long distance touring. my wife and I will get in about 200-250 on a weekend, so I don't need an uber bike. The money I save can be used elsewhere in the household, like my track day bike (that's right, I forgot to mention that I have an '02 CBR600F4i track day bike). I can get my speed jollies at Summit Point whenever I wish.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, first off, I am NOT insane. But just to let you know that I'm selling a BMW K1300S in favor of an '09 FZ6. Why? Simple (at least to me). The K1300S is a very sophisticated bike and capable of speeds that will land you in jail in a New York minute. But there's a price to be paid for that kind of bike and frankly I'm not willing to pay it anymore.

Also, I'm not into the superlong interstate type of riding where a K1300S would shine. I commute to work 55 miles round trip and my wife and I ride on the weekends for a couple hundred miles (she has a Ducati Monster 696).

I found my FZ6 at Colgan Motorsports in Manassas, VA for $6600 OTD. I've logged in 50 miles once I got it home to shake it down. It's going to be a bit of an adjustment going from a 175 hp/104 ft. lb. monster to the Yami's engine, but in the long run, the lower purchase price, lower fuel consumption and cheaper insurance will benefit me.

We could of "swapped" bikes....i would love a K1300S, more so, the R model, but still, the S model is one hell of a bike.

Welcome, your gonna love your FZ6.....such an easy bike to get along with, in many situations.

:thumbup:

Ron P

Reaction score
Visit site
K bikes are nice if you're wiling to pay for them (and have someplace to take advantage of the power)

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
:welcome:

I think you will enjoy the forum and the FZ6, it is not going to have the kind of power and torque you are used to but it will have very usable power and torque when you want it, especially on twistie roads, as you may have already discovered the powerband comes on at around 8,000 rpm. It's also got pretty comfortable ergos for cruising.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1T rear sprocket and it will have all the pep you need where you want it. That makes it great for commuting and basic short jaunts on weekends.

P.S. Welcome!

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum. Tonnes of nice people and lots of useful information here. And we won't even hold the fact that your clearly crazy against you... :D

Ron P

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:

I think you will enjoy the forum and the FZ6, it is not going to have the kind of power and torque you are used to but it will have very usable power and torque when you want it, especially on twistie roads, as you may have already discovered the powerband comes on at around 8,000 rpm. It's also got pretty comfortable ergos for cruising.

The power band info is good to know. I have to keep it below 7,000 for the first 600 miles, but it seemed to run decently at 6,000. Last night's ride was on some backroads so I could scrub in the tires and get the brake pads seated. It seems a little top-heavy compared to the K bike and I attribute a lot of that to the location of the gas tank. I saw about 36 mpg and so I thinking upper 40s should be the norm on the highway.