Grr... adjusted chain... tire alignment???

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I read all the threads on here about it, the string method, the make sure the teeth are center in the chain method, etc. but if I go off the built in notches (2008 model) as a gauge it's obviously WAY off. Why do they put them there??? I ignored them, eyed it straight and it SEEMS right, but it doesn't feel right to go against a measuring tool that is obviously made JUST FOR THAT!!! What am I missing?? I don't really want to mess it up, I only have 2 tires, if ones off, I don't care who you are, 50% is failing.

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
I look down the chain line to get it mostly straight then measure from the center of the swingarm pivot to the center of the axle, then check the chainline again to make sure. It works fine. The notches are useless.

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
I look down the chain line to get it mostly straight then measure from the center of the swingarm pivot to the center of the axle, then check the chainline again to make sure. It works fine. The notches are useless.

That might be my problem... I did everything BUT take an accurate measurement. I will have to pick something up tomorrow at the hardware store.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Why not get and use one of those chain alignment tools that someone mentioned in a previous thread? Dead simple to use and only $28.00!

http://parts.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/3118-chain-alignment-tool-motion-pro.html

633010776712874239CHAINALGN.jpg

chainalign.jpg

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the little notches, too, but am beginning to wonder myself as to whether they're accurate or not. I'll have to try the string gauge thing and check my work. I like that little tool, too. May have to rig something like that up...

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
the swingarm hasn't faulted me yet...just be uber careful and accurate. One time the rear end piece of my 06 arm wasn't seated properly and I aligned the wheel wrong...drastically. You can feel it when it's not right.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I checked the marks on another FZ6 that I was servicing. After aligning the wheels with a dual string setup I found that the marks were 1.5 divisions off!!! Until you have verified them do NOT trust that the marks are accurate.

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
I checked the marks on another FZ6 that I was servicing. After aligning the wheels with a dual string setup I found that the marks were 1.5 divisions off!!! Until you have verified them do NOT trust that the marks are accurate.

Ok that makes me feel better. Not that they're off by default but that I'm not going crazy. I picked up a steel rule today and measured them out, I was close but it did need some adjustment. I measured from the very end of the swingarm to the axle and then again from the front to the axle. I also measured to make sure/see what the difference was between the 2 adjustment bolts. Everything seems to check out. I appreciate it everyone.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 for the string line wrap method:thumbup:.

Also measure the distance from the side of the front tire to the string at forward and back to assure yourself the front is lined up dead straight. I got really anal about mine and in the end used a steel rule laid each side to position the front and feeler gauges to get the back aligned. This seemed to reduce the amount of squaring off I was getting with the marks used as the alignment measure.:D

Cheers
Mike

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
Be careful that you're actually measuring to the center of the axle on both sides because the inside diameter of the hole on the nut side is not the same as the diamter of the hole on the head side. If you just measure from the nearest point on the axle it will be off. You probably know this but I'll say it anyway.

Last edited:

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
I use a carpenter's square. I rest end with the corner of the square against the rear sprocket and verify the end pointing towards the front of the bike is just inside the inner chain plate.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
It's a bit late now, but if you get them perfectly aligned (either from new or from the service or from hours of messing around with string) then make sure that you adjust the adjuster nuts by the same number of screws on each side and that way it won't go de-aligned when you tighten for chain-loosening.

I tried the string method and it just NEVER worked! Also, on my last bike (GPZ500S) the adjustment marks were on bits of metal clamped to the swingarm which actually MOVED! They could be upto 5mm off from each other! I used to get the wheel aligned properly by the experts when the bike was serviced and then just keep the alignment by adjusting each side the same.

Wheel alignment is just something I've decided I'm incapable of doing myself properly! :D Although I've been thinking about buying one of those tools that clamp onto the sprocket for ages!