Groaning noise in front end

Benrama34

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought my FZ6 about a month ago with 2800 miles on it. I noticed almost right away that there is a slight noise coming from the front end. Not a banging or clicking noise, but more of a groaning or moaning noise at speed. I don't think its anything with the engine because when I pull in the clutch while riding it still does it. Could it be tire noise from the crappy stock, knobby front tire? Or a wheel bearing? I did notice that on the right side there was a lot of grease on the axle, but not the other side.

Please let me know if anyone has experienced this or has a solution!

Benrama34

Reaction score
Visit site
Knobby front tire??
The moaning noise may be from the intake at the airbox, its a trait of the FZ6.

I don't mean knobby like a dirtbike or anything. It just has more of a tread pattern for water and whatnot as opposed to a smoother sport tire. So I thought maybe there was more tire noise because of this. But the grease on the one side is what concerns me. I don't want the bearing to fail while I'm riding. Like I said I don't think it'd be the intake or motor because i'll go like 50 and pull the clutch so the engine is at idle, and it still makes the noise. It also seems louder when cornering.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Put the bike on the centerstand, then if you have a scissor jack, place that under the header to raise the front wheel off the ground.

Your now able to spin the front wheel by hand. Listen for any odd noises, rough turning, etc. I suspect the grease down by one side (if you could post a pic would be helpful) was from the last person who had the wheel off. The wheel spacers should have a little bit of grease where they go into the wheel seals. (probably got a little over zalous with the grease or just didn't clean up).

If your mechainically inclined, the best would be to pull the front wheel off and check the wheel bearings by hand.

If your tires have bad cupping, (ridges worn down at the edge of a tread), it'll make some moaning..

PM sent..

Last edited:

rachtak

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you ever figure this out? I have the exact same sound as you describe; a screaming/wailing noise that starts around 50mph and gets drowned out at ~70mph.

Benrama34

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you ever figure this out? I have the exact same sound as you describe; a screaming/wailing noise that starts around 50mph and gets drowned out at ~70mph.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's just tire noise. I'll find out for sure once I swap in some smoother sport tires. But it has not gotten any worse, and I would think if the wheel bearings were burning up that the axle would be hot after riding, which it's not.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought my FZ6 about a month ago with 2800 miles on it. I noticed almost right away that there is a slight noise coming from the front end.

Could it be coming from the rider????:BLAA:

Good luck and welcome,

Neil:thumbup:

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I have something like this as well. It sounds like tire noise, and starts around 40 for me. I am worried it's a wheel bearing.

Anyone know a bit about changing front wheel bearings? I know a little bit about how to change cartridge bearings on a mountain bike frame, and I have a buddy who's handy, but have never done any automotive bearings myself.