Grease is the word!

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone have a short cut 'how to' for greasing the swingarm bearing with it still on the bike?
I really don't want to drop it out as I already did the chain/sproks and I have a full Givi rack modified to take my Scorps and the whole kit would take ages to remove.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone have a short cut 'how to' for greasing the swingarm bearing with it still on the bike?
I really don't want to drop it out as I already did the chain/sproks and I have a full Givi rack modified to take my Scorps and the whole kit would take ages to remove.
Sadly there is no "lazy mans" way to do this service. Like you I was looking for an easier option http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/41154-there-lazy-mans-way-grease-swing-arm-pivot.html
Unfortunately the actual pivot bolt sits inside a stainless steel sleeve. You can't grease it without pulling the bolt out.

Good luck with it,

Neil

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
you can probably just take the exhaust headers off, and possibly a bit of the link pipe.

If it also possible to get at the seals without taking the exhaust off, but it is very fiddly. I snapped a couple of my exhaust studs trying to get the headers off so I could do this, and gave up before I completely messed it up. (I did fix my studs in the end)

edit: also my rear suspension being seized into the swing arm made the process interesting

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you can probably just take the exhaust headers off, and possibly a bit of the link pipe.

If it also possible to get at the seals without taking the exhaust off, but it is very fiddly. I snapped a couple of my exhaust studs trying to get the headers off so I could do this, and gave up before I completely messed it up. (I did fix my studs in the end)

edit: also my rear suspension being seized into the swing arm made the process interesting
I managed to drop the swing arm without removing the pipe. It is tight for space but do able. My rear shock has also seized in the lower pivot. I had to undo the top shock pivot to drop the swing arm.

Neil

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
To revive this thread a little, now I have the time to do the job.

Has anyone tried what I'm about to suggest? ie: On centre stand, chock up under the pivot end of swingarm (Scissor jack) then undo the bearing and tap out possibly using a rod of some kind slid in a little way as the bearing tube is withdrawn to maintain alignment, grease up and re-insert.

Could this even be done without removing the rear wheel d'ya think?

Or am I just a hopeless optimist......?