GPS set up, help me out!

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Would like to turn the bike into a cross country runner this summer... but first things first-navigation

I have two options currently at my disposal:

1)Use the Iphone-would need a mount (waterproof preferably) and a 12V installed

2)Use my lower end Garmin Nuvi-again mount and a 12V

What have you guys used, and more specificly, whats the best way to hook up a 12V (where what how etc)??

Also what kind of mounts/cases have you guys found-liked/disliked??

Thanks as usual guys/gals :D

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
Iphone, toss the garmin. 12v marine plug @ walmart, under the left hand frame butress, near the neck.

TANK BAG, one you can touch through to the iphone.

Saddlebags.

Hammock.

Groundpad.

20f sleeping bag.

Cash

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The main thing with your 12 volt hook-up is to fuse it at the battery for fire safety. Also make sure your polarity is correct. You can go direct to the battery but you may wish to use a power relay that disconnects power that is connected from the battery to devices so that when the motor is off the devices can't draw current.

I have a 12volt accessory plug I got from West Marine that I've mounted in my fairing.
There are many ways people have done these hook ups successfully.

Some people also use the connection from the battery tender wire and add another mating plug and take current from there.

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
The main thing with your 12 volt hook-up is to fuse it at the battery for fire safety. Also make sure your polarity is correct. You can go direct to the battery but you may wish to use a power relay that disconnects power that is connected from the battery to devices so that when the motor is off the devices can't draw current.

I have a 12volt accessory plug I got from West Marine that I've mounted in my fairing.
There are many ways people have done these hook ups successfully.

Some people also use the connection from the battery tender wire and add another mating plug and take current from there.

I used a battery tender connection off my battery to power my 12v outlet. gives me the functionality to use the battery tender plug in the winter which I really like.

OP check out the aqua box system from ram mounts. I just installed mine today and it's really great.
3d7f4255.jpg

tomorrow I intend on taking some better pictures of your interested

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
2172012_94246AM.jpg

Garmin 2720. Wired into fuse block. You can pick up those GPS's all day long on Ebay for 100.00. Waterproof and shock proof. Garmin doesnt make them anymore but they still support them. You can find craddles and ram mounts to get it on the bike and wired in and still be out the door for less than $200.00

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
12volt marine socket straight on to the battery with an in line fuse mounted on the fairingblack panels behind the screen
Givi satnav waterproof bag and a 5" Medion satnav attached to the handlebars and visible behind the tank bag

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Use a Garmin Nuvi suction cup mount to the inside of the windscreen. Have an outlet on the inside of the fairing. Worked very well. Biggest problem was riding across Georgia and had it set to shortest distance not quickest route so it took me on some small roads. It's not expensive and works well so no complaints. It was OK in light rain but when encountered heavy rain I put it away in the tank bag. It mad a nice speedometer as well.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if you've ever seen a versys windscreen but it's slim and curvy, believe me I've tried it lol. I can get it to stick to the tank but I'm kinda uneasy about it. :D

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk