GPS Question

Hobbesca

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the GPS i use for my bike has given up the ghost, it was a Tom Tom designed for bikes. I have a Garmin that I use in my truck but I am not sure if I can use it for the bike, wondering if it will draw to much power. My old one was very basic but my Garmin has enough bells and whistles I am wondering if it will have to much draw.

Kinda need my GPS as I am navigationally challenged, but I don't want to kill my battery and charging system. I might be worrying about nothing here, but there are a ton of folks on here that know alot more about the power usage and how much of a load these bikes can tolerate.

I have a basic setup, dual headlight, standard lights, with a regular plugin wired in for my GPS. Maybe i am ok ?

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have nuvi 2555 LMT (not sure if this qualifies as all bells and whistles) and i've been running it for more than a year on my bike - no issues. I never tested it quantitatively, but (at least in my GPS) you can press and hold the battery indicator and a diagnostic screen will show up with a lot of information that should let you calculate the draw.

I'm running RAM mount with medium aquabox - in case you are wondering) and it works, except for riding with sun directly behind me - say bye bye to readability.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just buy an ordinary GPS designed for cars, and buy the protection plan that Best Buy or other electronic shops tries to convince you on purchasing. In this case, we come out ahead. Last GPS you will ever buy.

TSRBrad

Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up a refurb Garmin from Micro Center specifically to use on my bike. I got a unit with a decent feature set (weather info, bluetooth) for pretty cheap. This way, if it comes loose and flies off the bike or succumbs to weather I'm out much less than if I'd purchased "new". In fact, they substituted a better unit when it turned out they didn't have the one I originally ordered in stock.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Slightly off subject but can someone explain to me what's different about a bike specific gps that justifies dropping 300 extra dollars into it???

On topic, I just use my Garmin nuvi (I think 220i)... Works fine... Used to use my phone actually but that gets sketchy in no service areas lol

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Slightly off subject but can someone explain to me what's different about a bike specific gps that justifies dropping 300 extra dollars into it???

On topic, I just use my Garmin nuvi (I think 220i)... Works fine... Used to use my phone actually but that gets sketchy in no service areas lol
Bike specific is waterproof and has chunky buttons that can apparently be operated whilst wearing gloves. I use my Tom Tom 520 Go which is an in car GPS. I don't have a waterproof cover and have ridden in horrendous rain without issue. If the weather is going to be really bad I stick it inside a non lubricated condom. I have a universal mount from Maplin (UK equivalent of Radio Shack).

Neil

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com

I think the bike ones have a few different features some have low glare or polarized screens some have a visor on top, and I think most are just more weather proofed.

I also use a 220i that i got off ebay for like $30 been working fine for 17k miles so far.

strongmaterial

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a Worldnav 3500 made by Teletype for less than $200. It is a motorcycle GPS. Features are:

1. waterproof
  2. motorcycle avoid freeways route (awesome, it brings you to routes you would never have thought of)
  3. you can plot a route
  4. comes with 2 different mounts
  5. includes wiring for your motorcycle
  6. comes with a bluetooth helmet headset and charger
  7. will also work as an mp3 player
I tried using GPS units for cars before and this is hands down better for the bike.
:thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Re: GPS Question

I bought a Worldnav 3500 made by Teletype for less than $200. It is a motorcycle GPS. Features are:

1. waterproof
  2. motorcycle avoid freeways route (awesome, it brings you to routes you would never have thought of)
  3. you can plot a route
  4. comes with 2 different mounts
  5. includes wiring for your motorcycle
  6. comes with a bluetooth helmet headset and charger
  7. will also work as an mp3 player
I tried using GPS units for cars before and this is hands down better for the bike.
:thumbup:

I guess it all comes down to what you want the GPS to do other than get you from A to B. For me that's all I require. I ride with ear plugs and don't need MP3 although the go has both MP3 and blue tooth.

Neil

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
The Garmin nuvi 550 is a reasonably priced regular car gps, but its waterproof and has good enough battery for more than a couple house of unplugged use

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Garmin 2300 car GPS mounted on mine. (free for enough credit card points, LT maps additional $)

As noted above the current draw is so little, it won't affect anything.

As most car GPS's are NOT WATERPROOF, bring a plastic sandwich bag with you (under the seat, ?), should it begine to rain, slip it over the GPS! You still can see the GPS and the rain won't bother it.

Most bike specific GPS's come with a hardwire for 12 volts (for wiring direct to the bikes electrical system) vs a car GPS that needs an external voltage "adjuster" to drop the voltage (usually with a mini USB plug to 5 volts).

The below pic's are my hardwire assembly converting 12 volts (rectanglar box) to 5 volts. I had Powerlet make the cable without the coil for a hardwire install and a short, additional upper end (permanently attached to the cradle)

Powerlet: Mini USB Direct to Battery Harness - Powerlet Products

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

It's a refurb. Does come with 6 month warranty, but .. :don'tknow:
I've had terrible luck with Garmin refurbs, but that doesn't mean same will apply to Teletype.

If I'm not mistaken, OP just wanted to know if it was safe to use his existing Garmin without putting too much draw on the charging system. Somehow we turned it into "what's the best GPS" thread :hijack:

hattu345

Reaction score
Visit site
I use a GPS for hiking, the Garmin eTrex 20. It runs on 2xR6 batteries so there are no need for cables on the bike. I have yet to do a proper handlebar mount but it works great.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I ran a Nuvi 205 on my bike with no problems - if it rained I put it in the tank bag (had to remember where I was going though :) ). Used the suction cup mount to fasten it to the inside of the windscreen and had no problems at all. It never cam off - it did fall off one time on an entrance ramp because I didn't put it in the mount properly - caught it with my hand and pulled over and remounted it!!! I would add an outlet and then buy an inexpensive car GPS - if it falls off or gets wet and dies you are not out much.

Airplnmech

Reaction score
Visit site
I have nuvi 2555 LMT (not sure if this qualifies as all bells and whistles) and i've been running it for more than a year on my bike - no issues. I never tested it quantitatively, but (at least in my GPS) you can press and hold the battery indicator and a diagnostic screen will show up with a lot of information that should let you calculate the draw.

I'm running RAM mount with medium aquabox - in case you are wondering) and it works, except for riding with sun directly behind me - say bye bye to readability.

Quick question, do you have any vibe problems with the ram mount and could you post a picture. I have a Garmin nuvi 50 that I am about to mount and I would like some feedback.

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Garmin Nuvi [something something]. Standard car GPS. The touch screen has worked just fine with all my summer gloves.
Following a thread somewhere on these very forums. I took a copper pipe, bent the ends and mounted it above the tach (see picture). I also installed a cigarette adapter to plug the GPS and my MP3 player into.
The vibrations have definitely done some damage to the GPS over the years. I've had it randomly lock up or reset for no reason. I can eventually get it to reset and am back on my way, though.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The vibrations have definitely done some damage to the GPS over the years. I've had it randomly lock up or reset for no reason. I can eventually get it to reset and am back on my way, though.

It's a Garmin.. I betcha it's not the vibrations. I've had the ones I use strictly in my car lock up / reset.