GPS power

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I want to hook up a Garmin Nuvi 500 GPS to my FZ6's power. The adapter I have ordered can connect directly to the battery but, it seems to me, that a better solution would be to attach it to a switched 12vdc connection.

Can anyone guide me on how to do this? I suppose RatShack has an adapter to connect to the wires of the power adapter. Is this so? Any ideas on what part I need and where in the fuse box to plug it in?

Tim

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The way I did it was to buy a 12v socket, some cable and an inline fuse.
I just put them together and connected themto the battery direct.

Works for me. :D

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
The way I did it was to buy a 12v socket, some cable and an inline fuse.
I just put them together and connected themto the battery direct.

Works for me. :D

That's what the adapter is, wire, fuse and mini-usb plug. I just figured it may be better to hook it up to a switched fuse connection so there is no danger of running down the battery.

Tim

n3lrk

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would like to see your GPS power hook up when it's done. I have been using battery power in my Garmin Nuvi. I use the GPS in a clear pocket on the top of my tank bag, not the best line of sight.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
I want to hook up a Garmin Nuvi 500 GPS to my FZ6's power. The adapter I have ordered can connect directly to the battery but, it seems to me, that a better solution would be to attach it to a switched 12vdc connection.

Can anyone guide me on how to do this? I suppose RatShack has an adapter to connect to the wires of the power adapter. Is this so? Any ideas on what part I need and where in the fuse box to plug it in?

Tim
Unfortunately there is no accessory or spare position in the fuse box where you can just plug something in.

A good switched wire is the low-beam headlight supply wire. The load of the gps power supply is probably low enough that you could just supply it directly from that wire. (Some people just tap into that wire to supply the low beam filament in the high-beam H7 bulb on the right, which is another 50 Watts or so, way more than the gps.) Or get a 12 Volt relay and use the low-beam supply wire to pick up the relay, switching a fused wire from the battery to supply the gps power supply.

Not sure that Radio Shack will have anything to help you. If you’re going to hook up the bare wires in your picture direct to the battery, I think you will be able to find some ring-type connectors at an auto parts store. They should also have 12 Volt relays if you go that route.

If the above is not clear, just ask if you need more info.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Tail light wire!

J&M and all the major electronic farkle componies recommend using the taillight power supply. Its 12V and its switched and fused. Plus there is alot less feed back from the generator and such.

-bryan

fazerider

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been looking at doing the same my Nuvi only gets 100 miles on the battery before I have to plug it into the car. A lighter adapter in the fairing would be a good thing for cell phone and other accessorie charging.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely best only having it powered when bike in use as the regulator in the cable will draw a small amount of power even when GPS disconnected.

Side light wire is just the same as using tail light wire, only easier as it is at the front of bike. Current draw will be minimal, and if you swap your normal side lamp bulbs for LED bulbs then the power saved will be about the same as the power used by the GPS.

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
If you dont want to fool around with the switched wires and a relay...

I have the the wire through a lighted switch in my fairing...

When power is going out the light is on and the garmin works... Flip the switch and the power goes off...

The glowing blue light is kinda fun and you can barely see it when your riding because its under the handlebar... When its parked its very visible

Paradisio

Tries to keep up
Reaction score
Visit site
I wired up a distribution block to a switched relay and a inline fuse to the battery under my seat then just run the wires for things like my 12v plug and my heated grips. I have run heated grips, gps, and cell phone charger all at the same time with no issues. I will be adding other things soon I just like being able to plug and play.

I'll see if I can post some pictures of my setup sometime though I'm sure there is someone else on this site that has probably already written a tutorial for it.