Got used bike with headlight mod, high-beams too high?

crabbypants

Reaction score
Visit site
So i just picked up my first bike last week that seems to have some sort of dual light mod. The guy that I bought it from (second owner) said he got it like that.

Now the low beams seem to be aimed just fine, but when you flip on the brights they seem aimed WAY too high, to the point that there is a horizontal dark area where the low and high beams illuminate. Is this something inherent in the modification? Do the dual headlight mods affect the high-beams in anyway?

Not sure what to do here...:(

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like the headlight(s) are not adjusted properly. Just mess with the adjustment bolt until the angle is right. I believe the adjustment bolts are on the outter side below each headlight housing.

crabbypants

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like the headlight(s) are not adjusted properly. Just mess with the adjustment bolt until the angle is right. I believe the adjustment bolts are on the outter side below each headlight housing.

Thanks, i will give it a try, would that make a dark gap between the low beam projection and high though? Maybe it is just more obvious because the light is aimed too high?

I might have to take pictures tonight after dark to show what I am talking about.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe you can adjust right and left angles as well as up and down with two adjustment bolts on the back of the headlight assembly. Mess with it for a bit and you should be able to get it right.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our great forum!

As long as the low beam filament shuts off when the high beam is turned on the headlamp mod is okay. I'm betting someone readjusted the headlamp so that the low beam on the right is aimed for more light and since the hi and lo beam are in the same bulb it has raised the hi beam to much. Check to be sure the lamp socket is keyed in the socket correctly. It would be hard to put it in bass ackwards but people manage to do the unusual. :rolleyes:
The lens assembly on the right side was never designed for a low beam. It was designed for the high beam only. We can light the low beam filament for more light and better visibility but trying to re-aim the low beam will cause the high beam to be too high.

Edit: I found this helpful document that one of our members posted. See attachment!

Last edited:

crabbypants

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our great forum!

As long as the low beam filament shuts off when the high beam is turned on the headlamp mod is okay. I'm betting someone readjusted the headlamp so that the low beam on the right is aimed for more light and since the hi and lo beam are in the same bulb it has raised the hi beam to much. Check to be sure the lamp socket is keyed in the socket correctly. It would be hard to put it in bass ackwards but people manage to do the unusual. :rolleyes:
The lens assembly on the right side was never designed for a low beam. It was designed for the high beam only. We can light the low beam filament for more light and better visibility but trying to re-aim the low beam will cause the high beam to be too high.

Edit: I found this helpful document that one of our members posted. See attachment!

That mostly makes sense about the right side socket.

Let me get this straight: The stock configuration has the right side off completely when only the low-beams are on? And when the highs are on, both sides light up, but the right side actually has the high-beam filament?

So with the mod, low-beams are lit on both sides, but the right side provides little usable light because it is aimed lower, correct?

Lastly, are both sockets able to be adjusted independently? Or do they move in unison with each other?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That mostly makes sense about the right side socket.

Let me get this straight: The stock configuration has the right side off completely when only the low-beams are on? And when the highs are on, both sides light up, but the right side actually has the high-beam filament?

So with the mod, low-beams are lit on both sides, but the right side provides little usable light because it is aimed lower, correct?

Lastly, are both sockets able to be adjusted independently? Or do they move in unison with each other?

Yes you are correct. The right side still provides more light when the low beam is used as well as more visibility to oncoming traffic. It also stops the well known, "You have a headlight out"

You should be able to find a happy medium on the aiming. Unplug the left light when you aim the right. :D

crabbypants

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes you are correct. The right side still provides more light when the low beam is used as well as more visibility to oncoming traffic. It also stops the well known, "You have a headlight out"

You should be able to find a happy medium on the aiming. Unplug the left light when you aim the right. :D

Sorry for all the questions. I'm a bit if a do it yourselfer but like to have all the info first :)

So what is the configuration after the mod when the high beams are on? I'm assuming the left low is on and the right high is on? If that's true, did the stock right side bulb only have a high beam filament? Or was it a standard high-low bulb where the low was never used?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for all the questions. I'm a bit if a do it yourselfer but like to have all the info first :)

So what is the configuration after the mod when the high beams are on? I'm assuming the left low is on and the right high is on? If that's true, did the stock right side bulb only have a high beam filament? Or was it a standard high-low bulb where the low was never used?

Yes the right side had the H4 dual filament but only used the high beam filament.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Perfect, now i feel much more confident to tackle this. :thumbup: If your help is any indication of the community as a whole on this forum then I'm really glad I stumbled upon it. :cool:

We have an unusually great community here at the FZ6 forum. I have learned so much here!
You'll learn technically here but also grow in other areas which are just as important in all life areas. :D

Glad to have you as a family member!

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Perfect, now i feel much more confident to tackle this. :thumbup: If your help is any indication of the community as a whole on this forum then I'm really glad I stumbled upon it. :cool:

Sorry for making this a bit confusing...
If the bike has the 2 original lamps (dual-mod or not) isn't the H4 on the left side (everywhere else than Japan/UK/Aus).

Originaly my bike has H4 (left) and H7 (right).
Without mod's then H4 (left) is on, and with highbeam then H4 (highbeams) and the rightside H7 turns on (for low).
Pretty stupid configuation from Yamaha as the H7 is clearly more bright than H4 (on low beam).

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for making this a bit confusing...
If the bike has the 2 original lamps (dual-mod or not) isn't the H4 on the left side (everywhere else than Japan/UK/Aus).

Originaly my bike has H4 (left) and H7 (right).
Without mod's then H4 (left) is on, and with highbeam then H4 (highbeams) and the rightside H7 turns on (for low).
Pretty stupid configuation from Yamaha as the H7 is clearly more bright than H4 (on low beam).

US is H7 left which is low beam and always on. Right side is H4 and on with high beam only. The low beam filament in the H4/right side is not used in the OEM setup.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
US is H7 left which is low beam and always on. Right side is H4 and on with high beam only. The low beam filament in the H4/right side is not used in the OEM setup.

Okay :)
Maybe the original setup of my bike is some European thing (minus UK)?
The lights was the first thing I had to mod!!!

crabbypants

Reaction score
Visit site
Reviving my thread: So the other day the low beam on the right went out so i figured it would be a good time to get new bulbs and do the adjustments.

Swapped the bulbs today, and after dark grabbed a 10mm socket and adjusted the right side lower just fine, so now the high beams are just right.

However, the adjustment screw for the left side beam is not moving the beam at all! I'm trying to lower it because it is a touch too high (i pull up behind cars and i can tell i'm blinding them) and the screw just spins and nothing moves. Is there some sort of linkage broken??

Cameronhall

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a fz6n so I can't say I have any experience. Make sure the bulb is in right (I know these really only one way just saying). Try pinching the screw with a pair of needle nose and see if the screw comes up. If so I'd say i is.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Reviving my thread: So the other day the low beam on the right went out so i figured it would be a good time to get new bulbs and do the adjustments.

Swapped the bulbs today, and after dark grabbed a 10mm socket and adjusted the right side lower just fine, so now the high beams are just right.

However, the adjustment screw for the left side beam is not moving the beam at all! I'm trying to lower it because it is a touch too high (i pull up behind cars and i can tell i'm blinding them) and the screw just spins and nothing moves. Is there some sort of linkage broken??

Possibly the adjustment bolt thread is out of the nut and you need to get the tread back in? Or it's broken. :confused:

You may have to pull the assembly to see what's going on. I'm sorry I don't have direct experience with that assembly.