Got Rid of my Buell XB9SX Today

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
And got this freaking SWEET XB12S instead!!! :rockon:

Went to the local Harley dealer today to pick up the plugs to put into the screw holes that were left when I switched to the bar ends. Started talking to the sales lady who sold me the XB9SX while looking over the Buells on the showroom floor. She told me that I should upgrade to a XB12, I told her it wasn't going to happen. I was more than happy with my bike and didn't really need the extra power. I then told her that the XB12's were also out of my price range. She then pointed to an '04 model and said that it was around the same price as I got my original XB9SX. After looking it over, I said that they only way that I could do it is if they did an even trade. She then surprised me by saying that they could probably work that out. At that point, I decided to take it for a test ride. Biiiiig mistake.

Compared to the XB9, this thing rides like a dream. I'm not just talking about the extra power, I'm also talking about the way that it feels, handles, shifts, accelerates... everything was better to me about this bike. So, when I get back from my test ride, she then informs me that the bosses agreed to the even trade. Before you know it, I've signed the paperwork and am off to take my new(ish) bike home.

Pros about the XB12S
  • More power
  • Modified exhaust
  • Low seat (don't know which one though)
  • More power
  • Looks great
  • Sounds fantastic
  • More power
  • Handles awesome
  • It looks like new
  • And more power

Cons about the XB12S
  • Previous owner tried to scrub off the blue on the pipes
  • Nothing else really

Understand, this bike is an '04 model, and the XB9 was an '06. Regardless, I think that I still got the better deal. The bigger engine, modded exhaust, new lowered seat help make up the difference. At least to me they do. Interestingly enough, and engine sizes aside, this bike runs a whole heck of a lot better than the XB9. I'm like a kid the night before Christmas waiting to take it for a ride tomorrow. :D

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
You guys gotta stop posting pics of Buells! You're making me want one :) Sounds like you got a nice deal. It looks sweet :)

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
XB12S was always the better allround Buell. You should've got it in the 1st place. XB9 was a mistake :D. And yes, seeing so many FZ6ers move to Buell. 1st Randomchaos (SBN), OP himself, Wavex and now hellgate. It made me search my local craigslist for the XB12. Sweet deals with used Buells. I can get wavex's bike for like 8K compared to 12K he paid.

Last edited:

Silverback

MT Man!
Reaction score
Visit site
NICE ONE...Nearly bought one myself before I realised that I would look like a GORILLA on a MONKEYBIKE.....Hence I bought an MT01....But If I was a bit smaller I'D be on the same bike......I reallyn like the thought that goes into the design of Erik Buell's bike and here is Australia they have a certain exclusivity.....

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A straight trade??? Wow, that's great. They must have been bored yesterday or something???

I'm glad you're happy with the new bike. I'm looking forward to a ride report. :thumbup:

I wonder why it feel so much better? I thought the only difference was the displacement?

Regardless, enjoy!

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats MisterX! XB12 FTMFW! :D

XB12S was always the better allround Buell. You should've got it in the 1st place. XB9 was a mistake :D. And yes, seeing so many FZ6ers move to Buell. 1st Randomchaos (SBN), OP himself, Wavex and now hellgate. It made me search my local craigslist for the XB12. Sweet deals with used Buells. I can get wavex's bike for like 8K compared to 12K he paid.

A new '09 with translucid plastics for $8k OTD? Where did you see see this? You should buy it because that's a great deal! You could resell it for much more too...

Hellgate said:
I wonder why it feel so much better? I thought the only difference was the displacement?

Displacement is pretty much the only real difference, and with the longer gearing of the XB9, the difference is even smaller on paper... you do feel more power on the 12 though... not sure why MisterX felt so much difference in the other categories, but it's probably due to the different seat (ergos and handling feel better), aftermarket exhaust, and if they flashed his XB12's ECU with a custom map to fit the exhaust, it would make quite a big difference... I also noticed that the more miles I put on the bike, the better the engine works... so that may be a factor too since the 12 is older (i.e. has more miles).

Anyway, enjoy it MisterX!

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
I am saying used not new.

BTW, what are the problems in the older XBs say 04+? I was looking at a few firebolts and lightnings. Or is it a better value going for new ones?

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
I am saying used not new.

BTW, what are the problems in the older XBs say 04+? I was looking at a few firebolts and lightnings. Or is it a better value going for new ones?

There are used '09s out there already? weird...

Most ppl are happy with their XBs, and I am not aware of any major issues in previous years... you might actually be better off on an '04-'07 XB since you'll be able to remap the ECU yourself with a couple of readily available tools... If I remember right, the '08 and '09s cannot be remapped manually yet...

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Firebolts are pretty much the same from year to year, however in, I think '06, there were several changes made. Larger oil cooler, FI mapping, ignition, etc. More enhancements to fueling than total fuctionality. But if you did find a good deal on say an '04, the updates are easy, and not too expensive to make.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Ahh...but they can! XBs and 11s.

EcmSpy.com - Homepage

BDDFI-III Tuner Software BBS • Index page

I am not expert at these, but I've got both applications and have purchased the ECM cable. The BW guys are having very good outcomes with this tuning package.

hehe if they can, why does it say "Please note: Bikes of modelyear 2008 and later are not supported by EcmSpy!" on here: EcmSpy.com - Downloads

:D

Only '07 and prior years for now... but they're working on it...

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hehe if they can, why does it say "Please note: Bikes of modelyear 2008 and later are not supported by EcmSpy!" on here: EcmSpy.com - Downloads

:D

Only '07 and prior years for now... but they're working on it...

No they work on the 08 and 09. I've been talking with XB9 on BW and he says it works fine, at least for 11s. I'm pretty sure the XBs will work too.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Weird, I`ve been checking BW on a regular basis, and no1 managed to use ecmspy on their '08 & '09 XB12 yet... all the gurus on there even recommend getting a previous year XB12 if you want to be able to tune your maps yourself... who are you talking to there? maybe I can pm them directly as I`d be interested...

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Weird, I`ve been checking BW on a regular basis, and no1 managed to use ecmspy on their '08 & '09 XB12 yet... all the gurus on there even recommend getting a previous year XB12 if you want to be able to tune your maps yourself... who are you talking to there? maybe I can pm them directly as I`d be interested...

Ah...that could be the difference, XB vs. 11. I've been chatting with XB9, the guy who sells the ECM tuning software, Ohiosportbike.com.

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site
You guys gotta stop posting pics of Buells! You're making me want one :) Sounds like you got a nice deal. It looks sweet :)

Tell me about it, everytime I stop in at my Buell dealer I have to force myself to leave without the sweet blue XB12 that they have.:(

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Tell me about it, everytime I stop in at my Buell dealer I have to force myself to leave without the sweet blue XB12 that they have.:(

you mean, that one?

2819247737_6578d79e5d_o.jpg

:D:cheer::rockon:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, i saw a blast 500cc on Craigslist today for $1500 and almost thought... yeah, i should get that...

Mrs. Hellgate may get one of those for a learner. The various HD shops are sell all of last year's Rider's Edge bikes. They are pretty tame but to learn on they are great; low CG, up right riding position and low seat height. Beyond that...well I think they are fugly, slow and have a push rod engine. But, for $1,500, you could ride it for a couple of years and sell it for $1,500...WTF!?!?