Got caught speeding yesterday

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes being a good citizen goes a long way with the cops. I prefer to use the tinted visor for sunny days. I have the clear one with the insert for cold, rainy days so they don't fog up. I do have clear safety glasses in my tank bag if needed later in the day or for night. I don't do much riding at night or in the early AM.

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Vegas - I like the idea of the clear safety glasses. Then if i get stuck at work late one night I will be covered. Cheaper than leaving a clear lens at the office.

I do the same thing, tinted shield, and if I get caught out past sunset, safety glasses under the seat. And there actually is a spare, clear plastic shield at home if I know I'll want it. That being said, it may change as we start to see hordes of cicadas over here. I do not want those guys hitting me in the face at 60+ mph.

I've been pulled over for speeding in a car a few times, and let off for two of those. The worst was an Ohio state trooper...I'm always polite and honest, but that guy was a serious [expletive] that was out to get me. Guess he didn't like my tattoos? Psshhht. On the bike...[knock on wood] :thumbup:

Pook, I'm glad you had one of the good experiences. They do happen. :D

Oh...I feel obligated to add I do pass straight through a university campus on the way to work & back. College ladies? Cross walks?...I'm just saying, I love that tinted face shield. :spank:

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the b@stard chase you. He will follow. :D

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the b@stard chase you. He will follow. :D

I like the way you think.

I think if I was a highway cop with a supercharged patrol vehicle, I would wanna chase people too.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A good attitude usually helps as you post... Signaling to go to a safe area is also much appreciated...

As for the shield, I have a tinted shield, not too dark, enough to help during the day and clear enough to see at night..

Also a top visor for that special time of the day when the sun is flat in your eyes both in the AM and PM..

Last edited:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I can no longer justify owning a helmet that doesn't have the integrated shield. Best of both worlds- no need to pull over to put on sunglasses and same comfort as buying a tinted shield.

Clear 1 second, tinted the next :D

OP: heard a few stories like this, the fact you didn't run was kind of like respect and officers seem to be more lenient than if you speed in a car.

In my experience Bikes are like the elite class vehicles on the road, lots of exceptions ;)

Glad you got off with no ticket!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A good attitude usually helps as you post... Signaling to go to a safe area is also much appreciated...

I always question this, because as soon as you are lit up, is it just me but I get the impression that they want you to pull over NOW! They are on your ass, and even using their PA or siren. Being on a motorcycle, it doesn't take much room to find a space to pull over, it may not be safe but it's a spot but not enough for a cruiser. I have seen and read way too many incidents where the cruiser has been crashed into by a passing motorist not paying attention.

I can easliy pull over on the left shoulder of the freeway, against the concrete barrier but not enough room for the cruiser. I see a lot of vehicles pulled over on the left side of the freeway, and not on the right, which is an indication to me that the highway patrol prefers you to pull over immediately rather than working towards finding a safer location.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I always question this, because as soon as you are lit up, is it just me but I get the impression that they want you to pull over NOW! They are on your ass, and even using their PA or siren. Being on a motorcycle, it doesn't take much room to find a space to pull over, it may not be safe but it's a spot but not enough for a cruiser. I have seen and read way too many incidents where the cruiser has been crashed into by a passing motorist not paying attention.

I can easliy pull over on the left shoulder of the freeway, against the concrete barrier but not enough room for the cruiser. I see a lot of vehicles pulled over on the left side of the freeway, and not on the right, which is an indication to me that the highway patrol prefers you to pull over immediately rather than working towards finding a safer location.

In my 25 years on the road, I generally didn't light the top lights until I was aware of an area up ahead that was safe , traffic was now moving, not only for myself but the car/bike. If your stopped behind someone, in traffic and turn on the top lights, now everyones trying to get out of your way, Not good...

Now if your on the freeway (we didn't have but a very small portion of I75 in the city), or on a 55 MPH zone, I'll get on the microphone speaker and direct the driver to pull forward, to the next driveway, over farther, etc, where its safe, the further off to the side, the better. I can always approach on the passenger side of the vehicle.

As you note, sometimes, they'll get on your butt, super close, extremly dangerous!! and not too smart. Folks have been known to brake hard and quick, now you just rear ended him, or caused traffic behind you to also stop quickly, likely causing a wreck... Anything I can do to get clear of traffic, to a side street, even better... (We worked our own wrecks so if one happened right there, unless I had a physical arrest, I got to work the wreck..:(

You'd be surprised how many rubber neckers, wihile gawking at the traffic stop, will CAUSE A WRECK!. Seen many run into the rear of a cop car that was already lit up!!!!

In my experiance, I've seen the local police on a traffic stop, smack in the middle of the curb lane of a 6 lane road. Absolutly stupid...

Don't know if its a new officer or what, but you do have a microphone to direct folks to where YOU WANT them. Its your stop, your pretty much responsible should you screw up and also be liable...

In my years of an FTO, I taught this to all my recruits, the bottom line, #1, YOU GO HOME AT NIGHT.

The blue and white was my 2000 (pic taken 12/2003), take home car (just started the program) I had until 2007, we went to the black and whites in 2007 (had that for about 2 months before I retired), looked sharp but a PIA to keep clean. Both in my driveway..

Last edited:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
The officer that pulled me over was young - I'd say 25. He lit me up at and within 4 seconds of me not doing anything (on a no shoulder off ramp) followed real close and started hitting the EEEEH EEEEH horn and doing a little blooop whooop siren. At first I thought, "Damn this guy is in a hurry... maybe there's an emergency somewhere else!" Once I acknowledged him, he backed off and we pulled over to a safe location.

Before I clicked on those images I thought, wow that looks like they could have been taken at my parents house. Then I saw the FM... they're from Marco Island. I guess most driveways in SW Florida look alike.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The officer that pulled me over was young - I'd say 25. He lit me up at and within 4 seconds of me not doing anything (on a no shoulder off ramp) followed real close and started hitting the EEEEH EEEEH horn and doing a little blooop whooop siren. At first I thought, "Damn this guy is in a hurry... maybe there's an emergency somewhere else!" Once I acknowledged him, he backed off and we pulled over to a safe location.

Before I clicked on those images I thought, wow that looks like they could have been taken at my parents house. Then I saw the FM... they're from Marco Island. I guess most driveways in SW Florida look alike.

Pretty much the same foilage down here...

Yea, you got a new guy, full of piss and vinegar. Likely hoping you'll run!!! Damn, a law abiding biker...:( He'll learn (hopefully)

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
The two times I've been pulled on the bike I looked back, acknowledged the officer and then pointed to the next street where I would pull over. Both times I've been let off with a warning. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. But I will never pull on the side of a busy road. I always go to the nearest cross street or parking lot. I value the safety of both the officer and myself and won't put either of us into a situation to get railed by some moron not paying attention.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The two times I've been pulled on the bike I looked back, acknowledged the officer and then pointed to the next street where I would pull over. Both times I've been let off with a warning. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. But I will never pull on the side of a busy road. I always go to the nearest cross street or parking lot. I value the safety of both the officer and myself and won't put either of us into a situation to get railed by some moron not paying attention.

Exactly, but you can't assume all LEO's will react to this, it could even piss them off even more.

As Scott had mentioned, that's the proper way to pull someone over but how many times have you seen somebody pulled over or better yet, next time you see somebody pulled over ask yourself "Is this really the best place to stop." I've seen so many cops conducting a traffic stop blocking a very active lane, when they could have easily directed the driver to pull onto a side street or business.

As Scott said, I think it's stupid. But those are the cops that you might be really pissing off if you try to continue on finding a better stop, otherwise they wouldn't have stopped you right there and then. I can only imagine what they would say. Something like as soon as you see my lights, you need to pull over. So that's what I do, regardless where I'm at. The cop can always instruct me otherwise.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Been M-licensed riding on the street since 2005. I have yet to be pulled over by the LEO's. :D

*knocksonwoodendesktop*

They tend to leave bikes alone if you ride in a legal and respectable manner, especially since most sport bikes are riding like tool bags...makes you look even more well behaved.

derek533

Reaction score
Visit site
They tend to leave bikes alone if you ride in a legal and respectable manner, especially since most sport bikes are riding like tool bags...makes you look even more well behaved.

That and I also think wearing gear helps distinguish between the serious, law abiding bikers and the "tool bags". Nothing says squid like the proverbial baseball cap turned backwards with sunglasses, tshirt, shorts, and flip-flops.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Been M-licensed riding on the street since 2005. I have yet to be pulled over by the LEO's. :D

*knocksonwoodendesktop*

*knocksoncompressedpaperglue* ;)

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
That and I also think wearing gear helps distinguish between the serious, law abiding bikers and the "tool bags". Nothing says squid like the proverbial baseball cap turned backwards with sunglasses, tshirt, shorts, and flip-flops.

He now, if I want to bump my self off, leave me be. I've took the courses and understand the risk, flip flips and baseball hat however LOL. The bugs are so damn bad, if i didn't wear a helmet; it would suck!!!!!!!

Of course if I decide to go all out: it's gear time.

Last edited:

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
He now, if I want to bump my self off, leave me be. I've took the courses and understand the risk, flip flips and baseball hat however LOL. The bugs are so damn bad, if i didn't wear a helmet; it would suck!!!!!!!

Of course if I decide to go all out: it's gear time.

x2

Personal responsibility and all of that. Doesn't bother at all. We are all responsible for ourselves.

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, you got a new guy, full of piss and vinegar.

I happen to be one of those young guys, full of piss and vinegar :rockon:...but, I had a good FTO and he taught me good traffic stop procedure, much like what you mentioned Townsend. And I've had people pull over in the worst spot ever. And if they couldn't hear me over the PA then I walked up, made contact, and told them to move where I wanted them.

Great story actually, about 3 months after I was hired I pulled over a 2012 BMW X6 for running a red light. At the time I was driving a ford Expedition XLT(because the guy at our department ordered the extra long version by accident....). The driver pulled over on a road off of a major road where I work, but he barely pulled on to that road. SO, to avoid the rear end of my patrol vehicle sticking out into traffic, I had to pull really close his vehicle. The street he pulled over on was also slightly inclined.

I get out of my vehicle, approach the driver and ask him to move forward a little. Just as I do this I see his car jolt forward and hear a crunch. I look back and my patrol vehicle has struck the rear of his brand new BMW.

I had gotten out of my vehicle and forgotten to put it in park....whoops....

And, I believe this has been discussed on here before, but, I can't chase someone if they take off if all I have is a traffic violation. That is in Pennsylvania at least.

I'm sure it depends on policy of each department.

And on the visor thing, I have a blue tinted visor because I wore a nice pair of Oakleys in my helmet once and I permanently bent the frames...

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
And, I believe this has been discussed on here before, but, I can't chase someone if they take off if all I have is a traffic violation. That is in Pennsylvania at least.

I did not know that. Not like I'd take advantage, but it is interesting. Hey BamBam, are you from the Deleware County area?