Got 15k Miles out of my tires (Michelin Pilot Road 2s)

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
This is the second time I've gotten this kind of mileage out of this brand/model of tire, first on my Yamaha FZ6 and now on my Triumph Street Triple R. To be honest, there was plenty of tread left on the tires, but I picked up a nail in the rear tire, so I thought they didn't have enough tread to warrant patching. Anybody else get 15+k miles out of these tires before? Or the Pilot Road 3's?

Pics of the tires just before yanking them off the rims.

Rob

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Great tire, been through many sets on my FJR, FZ1 and the the KTM but I never get more than 7,500 miles before the tire is toast including the sides :sinister:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My front has 8,500 miles on it and still looks new.

My rear looked about like yours (about 8,000 miles at the time) and picked up a staple (which punctured it) and had another very, very small air leak in the middle so I ended up replacing it as well. It was about 2/3's worn out..

I've had Bridgstones on my old FJR and NEVER GOT more than 5,000 miles out them without major cupping, general wear.

Between the power range being a bit higher on the FZ, less weight and the PRII's, its great not having to replace the tires so often. For my FZ, it'll only see PRII's as long as I own it..

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
My next tire will be the road 2's or 3's based on reports like this and the fact that my current Pilot Power 2CT's have 4,000 miles on them and only show marginal wear, it looks like I can easily get 6,000 out of the REAR 2CT so I'm sure the Roads will give me 8,000 easily. My last set of BT016's were TOAST at 4,500 miles.

It's worth the premium for Michelins. :thumbup:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Have 11,000 or more on my rear and it still looks good - not enough miles leaned over so it is flat in the center but still lots of tread.

Royaltool88

Reaction score
Visit site
I really like the road 3s. Work great in the rain and they grip awesome in the turns. Im working on about 2,000 miles now :thumbup:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I wear my shoes unitl they fall off. I think that you, as I, are smooth and minimally brake? I would've probably plugged your tire and continued on it...

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I wear my shoes unitl they fall off. I think that you, as I, are smooth and minimally brake? I would've probably plugged your tire and continued on it...

I try, I try....

If it weren't for the nail, I think I could easily have gotten to 18k on these tires. Plenty of tread left on the sides for some weekend canyons!

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
rsw81 - where do you get your tires mounted? I just moved to Boston and the Fz is due for some new shoes.

Looks like you got your money's worth outta those pr2s!

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
I have nearly 5k miles on my pr2's and am very happy with them!
i reckon there is about 3-4 mm of thread left before the wear markers. dunno how much more that will get me.

i try to stay off the highways as much as possible as it just burns up the centre of the tire especially at high speed :BLAA:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
rsw81 - where do you get your tires mounted? I just moved to Boston and the Fz is due for some new shoes.

Looks like you got your money's worth outta those pr2s!

My buddy owns the Honda dealership in Weymouth, so I bought the tires there and had them mounted there. Gotta throw him some business!:BLAA:

Actually, they run a good shop there to be honest. I strangely trust his mechanics.

Keep away from Riverside Motorsports. Bunch of idiots and thieves. Ask anyone who rides in New England, they'll tell you the same.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone know of any deals out right now on PR2 or PR3 sets? I'd like to stock up this fall/winter for next season!

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone know of any deals out right now on PR2 or PR3 sets? I'd like to stock up this fall/winter for next season!

I always order my PRII's from Moto X Outlet. I think they are about $250 shipped. I got them the day after I ordered.

I get between 12-14K miles out of my PRII's, but they are pretty bad by the time I get close to 14. My miles are split evenly between highway and twisties so they wear somewhat evenly. They stay grippy (even in the wet) throughout that entire life-cycle.

I hope they don't discontinue these in favor of the 3's. I'm sure they are great tires, but I've grown to love the 2's over the years.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
PR2: Rear was changed due to puncture not long ago so doesn't count for anything. I do however want to change my front wheel at the early beginning of next season... Luckily the guy who sold me the bike had just installed fresh new PR2's (5 years ago now) and I am still running on the same front wheel - that's 34.000km / 21.000miles.
Seems like it just won't die... Have only been on track for 4 days in total and commuting a hell of alot (but tires aren't flat on the middle which proves that I actually turn in between aswell) :) There still is a couple of millimeters left but I suspect that after 5 years the rubber has begun to harden... I take it easy in the rain.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Resurrection time!

I just replaced my Pilot Road 2s. I got 13.1k out of them (with 1 track day) on my FZ1 (which *can* be rough on the tires). I had more tread left than Rob (original poster), but pulled them off because I have a track day coming up in few days.

If I used them strictly on the street, I'm pretty sure I'd be able to take them to 15k. Very very pleased with them and would absolutely use them again on a dedicated street bike.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Resurrection time!

I just replaced my Pilot Road 2s. I got 13.1k out of them (with 1 track day) on my FZ1 (which *can* be rough on the tires). I had more tread left than Rob (original poster), but pulled them off because I have a track day coming up in few days.

If I used them strictly on the street, I'm pretty sure I'd be able to take them to 15k. Very very pleased with them and would absolutely use them again on a dedicated street bike.

Bravo Eric! Glad to hear even the liter bikes can't kill these tires ;) I know there are more aggressive tires out there, but I like these for street use. With how much commuting miles I put on, these make the most sense.